Ive been looking at esp ltd ec-1000 with floyd rose or the schecter hellraiser. Which one is better and are there any others I should look into?
Both are upper middle range guitars with mahagony bodies and emg pickups and floating bridges. So it basicly comes down to which one looks better to you.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
i hate these threads. somebody asks which is better for 'metal' and gives us two guitars and no other information.

'metal' is too broad.
different guitars are different.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
IMO the best guitars for metal would be a good ol' LP for rhythm (thick, defined sound) and maybe something like a custom shop charvel or jackson dinky if you gotta have the extra frets for lead (whammy bar and nimble feel with that hot rodded superstrat appeal)

between those two I'd lean towards the schecter, if for no other reason than i really don't like the excessive binding on the pricier ESP/LTDs. Hardware and quality should be damn near identical between the two.
The esp is a 24 3/4" scale. Aren't Hellraisers baritones? Like 30" or so.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It depends on how thin you like your necks to be. If you prefer a thinner neck, go with the LTD. If you want something a little thicker, go with the Schecter. I'd recommend trying them out in person if possible and going with the one that feels better.
Quote by Cathbard
The esp is a 24 3/4" scale. Aren't Hellraisers baritones? Like 30" or so.

Nope. Maybe there are some models with a bit longer scale, but standard ones are 25.5.
Quote by MaidenMan88
It depends on how thin you like your necks to be. If you prefer a thinner neck, go with the LTD. If you want something a little thicker, go with the Schecter. I'd recommend trying them out in person if possible and going with the one that feels better.

I'm not very sure about the neck on ltd being thin. It's not a standard superstrat by esp, its their version of les paul, and on such models companies often try to resemble the original lp a bit. Thats why you'll often see les paul shaped guitar made of mahogany with a bit thicker and rounder neck and 24.75 scale. Its kinda standard spec sheet for lp. So trying both before buying would definitely be the best move.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
Hello Kitty strat is the only real choice tbh...

Absolutely not!
It must be the Pokemon Telecaster with Deviated Uranium pickups!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
OK, now a serious answer attempt.
If you do want a whammy bar, go for a guitar with a Kahler trem. Expensive "real" Floyds are OK, but if you want to stay on the budget side, I have a much better experience with the cheaper version of Kahler (called Kahler X-Trem) compared to equally cheap licenced Floyds.... And you can find these Kahlers for example in B.C.Rich guitars - the Kerry King signature Vs and Warlocks....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by JackovSlayer
I'm not very sure about the neck on ltd being thin. It's not a standard superstrat by esp, its their version of les paul, and on such models companies often try to resemble the original lp a bit. Thats why you'll often see les paul shaped guitar made of mahogany with a bit thicker and rounder neck and 24.75 scale. Its kinda standard spec sheet for lp. So trying both before buying would definitely be the best move.

ESP uses what they call a "thin U" profile. I wouldn't say it's Ibanez thin but it's definitely a thinner neck than what's on the schecter (I've played a few Hellraisers and the necks feel like baseball bats compared to the LTDs I've owned with the thin U contour).
BC Rich Warlock of gtfo

(get the schecter, floyd rose is evil)
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Mind_Reader7
BC Rich Warlock of gtfo

(get the schecter, floyd rose is evil)

Thumbs up for your Devy quote!

And as for B.C.Rich, that was just an example in case the guy can´t live without a trem, Kahler trems are also in other brand axes, not many, but some.... Of course, my absolute top priority is no trem at all. Fixed bridge. Period.
Last edited by Airfish at May 20, 2016,
Quote by Airfish
OK, now a serious answer attempt.
If you do want a whammy bar, go for a guitar with a Kahler trem. Expensive "real" Floyds are OK, but if you want to stay on the budget side, I have a much better experience with the cheaper version of Kahler (called Kahler X-Trem) compared to equally cheap licenced Floyds.... And you can find these Kahlers for example in B.C.Rich guitars - the Kerry King signature Vs and Warlocks....

To hell with cheaper Kahler floyds. My late 80s HM Strat is pretty much unplayable due to the incredibly soft metal Kahler used for the spidyr trem.

Answer to the OP/TS, no such thing as a metal guitar. You can use a tele all the way up to the futuristic looking headless guitars for metal. It's what/how you play, not what you're playing on. On the other hand, you probably won't see many deathcore bands playing Brad Paisley sig models

Go to your local music stores and find a guitar that feels good to play. Try out everything and then decide.

It's a stupidly subjective uhhh subject. Go figure
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by DarthV
T
Answer to the OP/TS, no such thing as a metal guitar. You can use a tele all the way up to the futuristic looking headless guitars for metal. It's what/how you play, not what you're playing on. On the other hand, you probably won't see many deathcore bands playing Brad Paisley sig models

Go to your local music stores and find a guitar that feels good to play. Try out everything and then decide.

It's a stupidly subjective uhhh subject. Go figure

Yep.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I think the best guitar for metal is the Jackson Soloist USA. It is also versatile enough to cover other styles.
If you want "metal" metal guitar, the Jackson RR is probably the most "metal" to me. I'd love to own a USA one one day...
Quote by DarthV

I think there's a pretty valid argument to be made for buying a guitar that leaves you the least work to do bridging the gap between the sound it makes and the sound you want to produce, but certainly any guitar can be used to play anything is broadly applicable. Off the top of my head, reasons that my Tele wouldn't be great for metal are that the pickups are medium output single coils, which'll require a great deal of additional gain to get much distortion, thereby amplifying the additional noise that single coils produce even further, the fretboard radius precludes very low action for bending, the chunky neck makes keeping your thumb on the back quite tiring and the shape isn't ideal for picking near the bridge as you'd want to for a lot of metal. Some of those problems can, with additional investment, be overcome altogether, and some can be coped with, sure, but buy an Ibanez or a Jackson and all of them are gone immediately.

That said, I accept the challenge which I assume you were making regarding the Paisley.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I think there's a pretty valid argument to be made for buying a guitar that leaves you the least work to do bridging the gap between the sound it makes and the sound you want to produce, but certainly any guitar can be used to play anything is broadly applicable. Off the top of my head, reasons that my Tele wouldn't be great for metal are that the pickups are medium output single coils, which'll require a great deal of additional gain to get much distortion, thereby amplifying the additional noise that single coils produce even further, the fretboard radius precludes very low action for bending, the chunky neck makes keeping your thumb on the back quite tiring and the shape isn't ideal for picking near the bridge as you'd want to for a lot of metal. Some of those problems can, with additional investment, be overcome altogether, and some can be coped with, sure, but buy an Ibanez or a Jackson and all of them are gone immediately.

That said, I accept the challenge which I assume you were making regarding the Paisley.

Lowest action of any guitar I've owned was my first pawn shop $75 tele clone. Was it metal? Helped me start learning maiden, ozzy, van halen and eventually metallica.

My whole point, there's no definitive 'metal' guitar. Trying out different ones is the only way for someone to find the guitar(s) for them. Everyone has different size hands, fingers and arms.

Are jacksons, ibanezes and ltds good places to start? Sure.

PS, your tele is roughly the same radius fretboard as my axis. I have no problems with having very low action and issues with bending. And it probably looks a little more metal than a Paisley sig tele. That a good thing? Once again subjective Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I wouldn't turn one down if someone was giving one to me
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Fair points; though I think certain guitars make more objective sense than others in different situations, I'm certainly not arguing with the principle that you can play whatever you like on any guitar (or, in my case, can barely play competently regardless of the guitar), and more than a few questionably-executed Sylosis riffs have done their best to emerge from my Twin. The first rule in buying a guitar is to buy a guitar you want to own, for sure.
Quote by Chladely
Ive been looking at esp ltd ec-1000 with floyd rose or the schecter hellraiser. Which one is better and are there any others I should look into?

I have been playing guitar since 1968 and My favorite Guitar for Metal is the Gibson Explorer.
Anything that has lots of Mahogany. Lately the cool trick pony I made is a Fender with a Floyd Rose. I bought this last year, it has jumbo frets, C type neck and satin finish, very nice to play. I then replace the Pickups with an EMG 81 and 85 and Presto. But the one thing for people to know is a little trick. There is a device called a Tremel No that you put on the Floyd Rose and it never goes out of tune. I pay to have my Guitars set up PERFECT and the strings changed because I can afford it and I play a lot. Its also what guitar do you feel comfortable playing, that you can stand up with all night. That would be a Joe Satriani JS 1000. But Ibanez Bridges wear out. Floyd Roses are pretty tough. You see the fulcrum point where a bridge Pivots has to be case hardened Steel or you will wear out the posts. Schector Poly dips their guitars which kills the tone and I never EVER liked the workmanship on an ESP Except for the original ones Made in Japan. Ernie Ball is the finest playing and Made Guitar today.
For Metal Washburn makes a Paralell Axis guitar that is pretty nice. Ebony fret Board Floyd rose, EMG's well made and made for Metal. That guitar would get my Vote.
Last edited by terrencehealy at May 26, 2016,