Hello everyone, this is my first post ever, I'm new to this site. So I have been playing guitar for several years now and I play with a band as the lead player. I do have experience with sounds but I just wanted to ask about pickup in this particular guitar. So I have a 2014 Flying V History, http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Flying-V-History.aspx, and it has '57 Classics in it. I love this guitar and I love the sound it has with my Marshall (though Im soon going to get a Mesa). I was just wondering, the other day I was at Guitar Centre and I played the James Hetfield Iron cross signature and I loved the sound of the Het Set EMG pickups. I know the process to put it in my V, but I was just wondering, how do you think that would sound and is it even worth attempting? I love playing thrash metal with the guys, but I am too a big blues player on my own (hence why I got a V). I'm not used to active pickups, always been passive, but again, the sound in that iron cross was great. Again I am just curious I may not actually do anything, but wouldn't mind getting a little background on this. Thanks and hope to hear honest answers.
If you already like how your V sounds with your own gear, then I don't see why you would bother swapping to an EMG set. Especially if you say you're a big blues player.

When you used the Iron Cross, were you using the same amp you have at home? If not then I don't see how you could think the pickups are the bigger difference or the biggest reason why you liked that sound.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you throw in EMG's, prepare to lose good blues tones, but get some awesome metal tones. I have 57 classics in my SG, and they're basically on the opposite end of the output spectrum - Great for cleans, and blues/classic rock, but not so much for thrash/more extreme variants of metal.

You might like a set of "vintage hot", or overwound PAF type pickups - They're can still do the vintage stuff rather well, but can handle gain for heavier stuff better than something like a 57 classic (The 57 can mush out under high amounts of gain, in my experience). I have Gibson Burstbucker Pros in my V, and they're pretty damn versatile. Maybe look into something like a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads? Or one of the SD Custom models?
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
i wouldn't go with EMG's (i do have a gibson SG with them in though), there are sooooo many options that are better these days. its not just SD, dimarzio, and EMG anymore. there are a ton of boutique winders out there that are very reasonable, and many will do flat out customs. do some more research before you throw some EMG's in there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yeah this is all good insight. I was just curious, I love my V the way it is, I was just wondering how it would've sounded with EMG's. I will look into the gear mentioned above. I am really just looking into buying a new amp because I'm not really getting what I want with my current cheap Marshall. I get a great clean Blues sound with it, but I can't get that 'punch' I want in metal. Thats why I thought the Het Set EMG's would be good because he had it made where it has the sounds of a passive, but punch of an active. I played a Mesa dual rectifier amp and it sounded great, but i didn't try it with this guitar. Line ^ sounded great but I want a tube amp for that nice warmer tone. There's a whole world to sounds and sometimes it can be a real pain in the ass.
new pickups into a shitty solid state amp is like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound.

get a decent amp, then go from there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/