Hello there fellas.
I've been playing guitar for quite a while, mostly metalcore and deathcore stuff.
My gear looks like this: LTD EC-1000 with EMG 81/60 pickups -> Zoom G3 -> Cubase -> PC speakers.

I've got around 300 bucks to spend and I'd like to upgrade my gear in order to receive a better high-gain sound because Zoom's distortion is pitiful. I could also sell my Zoom for extra ~100 bucks which makes it around 400 bucks in total.
However, I don't have an idea what to go for first (because honestly I'm not that good at setting things up). The guitar itself is a masterpiece, it's a great instrument made for heavy music so getting rid of it would not be a good idea.

I dunno if buying an amp would be better than upgrading my processor, would like to hear you guys out.

This guy's sound is just what I'm looking for
https://youtu.be/jJ4pUxol1A4
A decent amp would probably be your best bet, with the caveat that if you sell your G3 you will lose some of the flexibility you now experience. I'm not an expert in your preferred genre so I'll leave the amp suggestions to others, but I know that's where I'd be looking.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
So, the question here is what you really want to do with your playing: Do you want to play out, do you jam with friends a lot, do you only play at home/recording...

If you want a direct but higher quality replacement for the Zoom, I'd recommend a used POD HD desktop. They sound great, especially for your genre of music.

If you want an amp, there are some more options, most of them will need to be used to get a good sound though.

I agree with you, the guitar is pretty sweet, no need to change that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
So, the question here is what you really want to do with your playing: Do you want to play out, do you jam with friends a lot, do you only play at home/recording...

I'm totally sure that my musical equipment will never leave my room, that being said I'm only interested in recording.
Peavey ReValver software ($99 for the main pack) and a $30ish guitar to USB interface. Buy some monitor speakers with the rest of your budget if you want - Rockit or similar.

If you want an actual amp the Peavey 6505MH or Laney IronHeart Studio would do well - both have USB connectivity for recording.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
i would look into the iron heart studio (as mingee) brought up.

i would also do the amp sim thing at some point in time. i have very little experience with that though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Normally I would not choose a digital thing instead of a real tube amp, but your case is a bit specific.... So here is my experience. I have owned an Ironheart 15 Studio and also a H&K Tubemeister 18 - both of these have recording outputs to a computer. BUT in my experience the more gain/distortion was involved, the worse these outputs sounded. If I compare them with my Line 6 Pod, it is capable of much better high gain tones, than the recording outputs of tube amps - I repeat - THE RECORDING OUTPUTS, NOT THE TUBE AMPS THEMSELVES. For clean tones the recording outputs were absolutely superior to my Pod, but for high gain it was the completely opposite story. And since you wanna play really heavy stuff, for only home recording, I believe digital is your way to go - either processors, like Line6 and similar, or interfaces, softwares, plugins, as mentioned by other folks above. Of course, if you could extend you budget, the best way for recording high gain guitar is a tube amp + a decent mike (Shure SM57 or such) + a mike interface.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at May 21, 2016,
Quote by Airfish
Normally I would not choose a digital thing instead of a real tube amp, but your case is a bit specific.... So here is my experience. I have owned an Ironheart 15 Studio and also a H&K Tubemeister 18 - both of these have recording outputs to a computer. BUT in my experience the more gain/distortion was involved, the worse these outputs sounded. If I compare them with my Line 6 Pod, it is capable of much better high gain tones, than the recording outputs of tube amps - I repeat - THE RECORDING OUTPUTS, NOT THE TUBE AMPS THEMSELVES. For clean tones the recording outputs were absolutely superior to my Pod, but for high gain it was the completely opposite story. And since you wanna play really heavy stuff, for only home recording, I believe digital is your way to go - either processors, like Line6 and similar, or interfaces, softwares, plugins, as mentioned by other folks above. Of course, if you could extend you budget, the best way for recording high gain guitar is a tube amp + a decent mike (Shure SM57 or such) + a mike interface.

i don't have hands on with those amps line outs, but were you running them through cab sims? that makes a huge difference and may be why you didn't like that.

i would like your feedback on that, as i may look into an ironheart studio for the hell of it if i can find one cheap enough.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i don't have hands on with those amps line outs, but were you running them through cab sims? that makes a huge difference and may be why you didn't like that.

i would like your feedback on that, as i may look into an ironheart studio for the hell of it if i can find one cheap enough.

Those outputs are already supposed to be frequency compensated, i.e. they should include a cabinet simulation. I say "should" instead of "are" because I really didn´t like the high gain tone of either. And no, I did´t use software cab sims, because those, as I believe, are supposed to process a "raw" signal from an amp (preamp), without frequency compensation. If you ran a signal from an ordinary line out of an amp, into a computer with cab sims, the result could be very good, as many people do. And I did too, with my Engl preamp, later. It has a "frequency compensated" direct recording pair of outputs, but they sound like rubbish. So I connected the regular "line" outputs to the cab sims I have in my Pod and the result was much better than with the built-in emulation. The case of the Ironheart is specific in this way: it has an XLR recording output with a cab emulation, but you can turn that emulation off - there is a button for that on the back panel. At least there was, on my version. TBH I did´t try to connect that output with the emulation OFF to my cab sims, because in that time I already had the Engl preamp connected to the cab sims. I just tried out the emulation, out of curiosity, and it sucked elephant sized balls. So if you want to try the Ironheart, I think it could sound good, but only in combination with external cab sims and with the built-in emulation turned off. I hope the previous lines were not too chaotic....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at May 22, 2016,
thanks fish!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
thanks fish!

You´re welcome, dude.
Guitar Rig 5 (the free edition) actually has a nice Marshall Plexi/JCM800 and a few sims that actually when supplemented with some freeware stuff like overdrives and Chorus, verb, delay from the DAW, could make quite nice free package too.