Hey everyone, I've been gifted a guitar kit for christmas about 2 years ago now which I've been wanting to finish for a long time as you can imagine

But the guitar has a flamed maple veneer on the top and it would look beautiful if I knew how to achieve a finish like THIS.

From what I've gathered I need water soluable dyes to achieve it? But I havent had much luck finding anything of the sort online (I keep getting door frame dyes and varnishes )

Am i looking for the right stuff or does anyone know of a good brand that makes them? I'm close to giving up and settling for a solid colour finish, which would be a shame
Quote by Wingless18
Am i looking for the right stuff or does anyone know of a good brand that makes them? I'm close to giving up and settling for a solid colour finish, which would be a shame

this is what they're using in the videos the guys posted. it's available online at tons of wood working sites, and ebay etc. just search "trans tint dye".

and believe it or not, food coloring works too. at least, it did when i tried it.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Check out wudtone.com, they're full stains/sealers/etc. kits and look really professional when finished carefully.
I used this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/130803265105?
I got a red, yellow, blue and black - everything you need to mix any colour you like.

If you look at the "Tele Kit" link in my sig you'll see how I got on. It was a doddle to use. I should emphasise that I didn't do any dark/sand/light layering to highlight the grain - just a slight burst.