So I just ordered my first electric guitar, and I was wondering if I could get an amp for around $50 or less. I know its not much and I'll probably get a lot of replies telling me to save up, but I don't really have any others ways to make money right now. I was looking at this one but I'm not too sure. It looks okay for a beginner?

I'm not really too picky with stuff like this, I've had a Silvertone acoustic guitar from Walmart for about four years, and I've been really starting to play it this past month. I've never played anything else, and I have no complaints from this guitar.

The guitar I ordered is a used Squier Affinity, if that makes any difference. Thanks for reading!
Have you considered used? If so, Guitar Center has some great deals for less than $50. Example include a Marshall MG10CF, Fender Champion 20, Peavey Vypyr 15, Line 6 Spider IV.

All of these amps have a larger speaker (some are even 8") than what you are currently looking at. You'll get a really good deal this way.
Quote by thecamcognito1
It looks okay for a beginner?

Yeah You get what you pay for and you'll likely upgrade this when you have the cash but if you need an amp for the price of a cheeseburger at a festival the one with the fewest reviews saying it doesn't work is the way to go.

Quote by R3-AUA
Have you considered used? If so, Guitar Center has some great deals for less than $50. Example include a Marshall MG10CF, Fender Champion 20, Peavey Vypyr 15, Line 6 Spider IV.

All of these amps have a larger speaker (some are even 8") than what you are currently looking at. You'll get a really good deal this way.

Good point. Steer clear of the Marshall MGs and Line 6 Spiders, though, and don't expect to be blown away.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 20, 2016,
Quote by R3-AUA

I looked online at my local guitarcenter, and they do have a few used ones for around $50. http://prntscr.com/b6juax These are the ones. Would it be worth saving a few more dollars and get one of these, or get the $20 one and save for a better one later on? I'm not really picky, the only thing I don't like about the Honeytone one is how small it is
Quote by thecamcognito1
I looked online at my local guitarcenter, and they do have a few used ones for around $50. http://prntscr.com/b6juax These are the ones. Would it be worth saving a few more dollars and get one of these, or get the $20 one and save for a better one later on? I'm not really picky, the only thing I don't like about the Honeytone one is how small it is

The Peavey and Rumble are bass amps. If you're not picky, go for the Stagg. It can do a lot: overdrive, clean, and according to the reviews, it even has reverb.
Quote by R3-AUA
The Peavey and Rumble are bass amps. If you're not picky, go for the Stagg. It can do a lot: overdrive, clean, and according to the reviews, it even has reverb.

Alright if its still there I'll try to get it, if not I guess I'll just get the Honeytone amp for the time being.
Quote by ccog22
Alright if its still there I'll try to get it, if not I guess I'll just get the Honeytone amp for the time being.

if it's still there, see if you can try it out. Then you'll know if it'll be useful or not. This will not be your one and only amp; in time, you'll upgrade to something much much better.

My first amp was a cheap 10W BC Rich that came with my Warlock. It hummed, the clean was dull and the distortion sounded shitty. Did that stop me from using it? Nope! I learned to play the guitar on that amp. Good luck!
Quote by R3-AUA
if it's still there, see if you can try it out. Then you'll know if it'll be useful or not. This will not be your one and only amp; in time, you'll upgrade to something much much better.

My first amp was a cheap 10W BC Rich that came with my Warlock. It hummed, the clean was dull and the distortion sounded shitty. Did that stop me from using it? Nope! I learned to play the guitar on that amp. Good luck!

Alright thanks for the help man, so looking foreard to electric guitar!
Could always get a Marshall mini-stack, they look way cooler and sound alright for the size/money

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marshall-MS4-Micro-Amplifier-Stack/dp/B000BVN582
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Marshall Valvestate VS10 maybe...or just go with headphones out of your PC using modelers...or maybe buy PC powered speakers for that much...$50 doesn't get you much, especially if you don't want it to sound like running nails on a chalkboard.
i don't EVER imagine recommending a honeytone for a main amp.

i have one, and its fun to pack in your suit case, but i could never tolerate it for daily use.

get whatever you can find for $50 used. pretty much anything would be better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by DG_Griffin
Perhaps look into the VoxAmplug. If you've got a decent pair of headphones they sound great! And are only about $30.

I have a good pair of headphones, and I also have a nice speaker with an aux port. Could I plug the speaker into the amPlug through an aux cord and use the speaker an an amp?
Quote by ccog22
I have a good pair of headphones, and I also have a nice speaker with an aux port. Could I plug the speaker into the amPlug through an aux cord and use the speaker an an amp?

Sure you could. I hooked an Amplug Metal up to a TV in a hotel once. Sounded passable for a hotel.

If you are cool with headphones look into the vast world of amp sims on the computer. You'll need a $30+ or so Guitar to USB interface and some software - lots of free software out there if you look for it. I like Peavey ReValver - great user interface, stand alone program, and tones to meet my needs. ValveKing and tubescreamer are free. Just pay for what you want to get rid of the demo tone.

For an actual amp look for used Peavey practice amps. I picked up an old Audition 20 that needed some love for free with another amp. It's passable. See what's out there.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at May 23, 2016,
Quote by metalmingee
Sure you could. I hooked an Amplug Metal up to a TV in a hotel once. Sounded passable for a hotel.

If you are cool with headphones look into the vast world of amp sims on the computer. You'll need a $30+ or so Guitar to USB interface and some software - lots of free software out there if you look for it. I like Peavey ReValver - great user interface, stand alone program, and tones to meet my needs. ValveKing and tubescreamer are free. Just pay for what you want to get rid of the demo tone.

For an actual amp look for used Peavey practice amps. I picked up an old Audition 20 that needed some love for free with another amp. It's passable. See what's out there.

Would a guitar to USB interface be better than the AmPlug?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010CFW7M6/ref=s9_simh_gw_g23_i5_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=12VFMEFAT8PBABZQKJJ4&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=6aad23bd-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop
this is the speaker I have, and the sound quality is very nice in my opinion. If I could hook this up to the AmPlug via aux AND use my headphones when I want, then this would probably be better than spending the same amount of money on a cord?
peavey vypyr 15, roland cube 15, ive seen lackstar ht1s for as low as $100 used if you could save up a bit more.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Amplugs are better than nothing but only just.
Find a used Microcube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
These are not beginer amps. Almost anything would be better, except for the fender version. Actually if you hook these amps to a decent speaker they sound a lot better. For 20 bucks it would be better to borrow an amp from a rich uncle. Not thay theae 9v amps arent really fun to play with. If they have a head phones out you can hook it up to your stereo
Last edited by geo-rage at May 23, 2016,
Quote by geo-rage
These are not beginer amps. Almost anything would be better, except for the fender version. Actually if you hook these amps to a decent speaker they sound a lot better. For 20 bucks it would be better to borrow an amp from a rich uncle. Not thay theae 9v amps arent really fun to play with. If they have a head phones out you can hook it up to your stereo

which amps are you talking about
Im talking about micro 9v battery powered amps in general. I changed my perspective now. If the honeytone has a headphone jack then it is worth it because you can plug it into stuff like tvs and auditorium pa's when the teachers arent around.
Quote by geo-rage
Im talking about micro 9v battery powered amps in general. I changed my perspective now. If the honeytone has a headphone jack then it is worth it because you can plug it into stuff like tvs and auditorium pa's when the teachers arent around.

could you can take an aux cord and pass it through a bigger speaker?
You can take an aux cord and plug it from the headphone out on the amp to another amp, like, a home theater system or an mp3player/boom box, computer aux-in or a bigger guitar amp. Its slightly dangerous to do all this at high volume because it could hurt the home theater speakers but at low volume its probably fine. The real cool thing about these 9v amps is they sound pretty bad with the speaker that comes with them but if you take them apart and cut the leads off the speaker and then hook them to a nicer speaker, the amp sounds twice as good. For 20 bucks its ok because you can at least use headphones, but most of these go for 50 bucks and thats already half way to a real amp. I said they are not beginner amps because just imo a beginner should have a great sounding amp so he enjoys the sound and keeps playing.
Last edited by geo-rage at May 29, 2016,