been playing for 17 years. Just now getting into putting my own pick ups on guitars seeing all the luthiers here a closing down shops left and right. so i have a few questions that i am having problems finding on the internet mainly about pickups, though there is some that are off topic.

1. what types of magnets are best for what genre of music? like alnico v's?

2. has any one on here used mighty mite, calig, or johnny eleca pups?

3. i have heard things that certain pick ups sound like butt on other guitars and with corresponding pick ups. is that true and why is that?

4. to make things easier on answering these 3 questions does any one know of any pickups that are great for metal and cleans? i like the sounds of emg's but i can't really afford them right now.

Bonus questions not relative.

5. is there a way to make my amp sound as good as using headphones?

6. i am starting to get string marks on the neck of my guitar. is this normal or can be fixed?

7. to any orange amp users out there I have a orange crush 20l for practicing. been thinking about upgrading to the orange 20 rt. people compare it to a tube amp but besides some features is there a difference in tone? i won't upgrade if it is exactly the same thing.

Thank you in advance for any one who answers any of these. I just got a rogue deluxe guitar and i got it to play like a dream. the pickup is really sweet but i wonder if i could upgrade it to be sound better
4. to make things easier on answering these 3 questions does any one know of any pickups that are great for metal and cleans? i like the sounds of emg's but i can't really afford them right now.

My first suggestion would be Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers. Clean up great. Distort great. They sound more like EMGs than any other passive pickup I can think of. And because they're passives, you don't have to do any routing or wiring changes.

I'd also look at pickups from Tesla and RailHammer (especially their Chisel or Anvil pickups).
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you're looking to 'hear' the pickups you're best off using Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/seymour_duncan_ssh6_set_distortion_mayhem.htm

They provide multiple sound samples for the same pick-up, and they all play the same song. So you can use this to really A/B each pick up and it's differences.

1. Magnets aren't really specific to defining a genre - it's the player and his general set up. However, a pick-ups voicing can be more suited to a specific genre. For example a 'hot' pick-up (one with a high output) tend to make good choices if you're playing metal/heavy music since they distort well and are designed to carry the bass/mids a lot more and with added punch.

2. See the Thomann link to get tone demonstrations, also check youtube reviews and stuff like that. You'll be able to build a picture of how it sounds and should sound.

3. Some pick ups... well, some can have a awkward marriage. It's more about matching a pair, typically just go with a matched bridge/neck pair to be honest; at least you know they'll be fine out the box. If that's not good enough, just google around someone somewhere has probably matched two different pick ups to good results.

4. What is your budget? You can get some high output budget pick ups and they'll definitely have that element of 'holy shit metal' element to them. My friend has these (I think) and they're pretty damn hot: http://www.mightymite.com/mmhgrbk-p-114.html

5. No unfortunately. You're really only going to get really good 'amp' tones if you plug it into a DAW and stuff like that. Or use something like BIAS FX software.

6. String marks as in they're hitting the frets and kind of grooving them? That's usual and is pretty much fine. If they're hitting the actual fretboard? Well then action needs to be raised. It could also be that the fret board needs cleaning, when did you last clean the fretboard with the strings off?

7. There's not really any difference between those two Orange's, the 20RT just has reverb, a tuner, and a simulated cab sound that the 20L doesn't. I wouldn't upgrade to be honest, it's a lot of extra money for not a whole lot worth having.

///

If you're only using the amp for home practice you needn't spend very much. A solid state amp is just fine for home practice as you're not really going to be able use a tube amp the way it's supposed to be used (loud) at home. This is even with headphones, because it'll just be too damn loud.

If you're looking for a tone upgrade and more options I would really recommend looking into getting an audio interface (Focusrite 2i2), a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, like Reaper/Cubase Elements 8) and using the guitar plug-ins there. That way you always get 100% of the tone but you can control the volume absolutely, as well as play along to MP3's or use headphones.

Naturally the previous statement can get a little complex But I'd say it's totally worth it if you're just home practicing rather than getting another amp. You can record yourself with this option, you can't really do that with an amp in a normal home.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
1. Magnets don't have any genre-specific preferences.
2. Nope, haven't used any of those pickup brands.
3. Horses for courses. Some pickups sound better on some guitars than others. No hard and fast rules.
4. I have preferences. You will develop preferences. My preferences probably don't match your preferences. I generally don't swap pickups on guitars and I generally don't buy cheap pickups to add to guitars that already have cheap pickups.
5. No. Headphones have a much wider range than most guitar amps ever will, and they block out (mostly) other noises.
6. What kind of string marks? Dents in the frets develop over time depending on the pressure put on the strings by your fingers (and the case of the guitar when closed). Consider putting a long skinny piece of plastic between the strings and the frets when you store the guitar in its case. If you're grinding the strings into the fretboard itself, you're using way too much pressure to fret the guitar.
7. It's not a significant enough "upgrade" to bother with. IMHO. Your Mileage May Vary.
Last edited by dspellman at May 21, 2016,
man thank you guys so much for the responses. you have been very helpful. I have a fender squier strat and today spent about 2 hours putting a hot rail on the bridge. the way squier routed these pick ups was insane. that were all twisted and soldered together so i had to cut my bridge wire and duck tape it. to get the hot rail in and even that was problematic. I broke down late last night after i wrote this and invested in an emg hz h4 seeing i always wanted a james hetfield tone. that will be going on my rogue when it comes in. the hot rail on the other hand is well.. hot.. it does have characteristics of a humbucker but it does leave so much to be desired.
Quote by pyrojack502
man thank you guys so much for the responses. you have been very helpful. I have a fender squier strat and today spent about 2 hours putting a hot rail on the bridge. the way squier routed these pick ups was insane. that were all twisted and soldered together so i had to cut my bridge wire and duck tape it. to get the hot rail in and even that was problematic. I broke down late last night after i wrote this and invested in an emg hz h4 seeing i always wanted a james hetfield tone. that will be going on my rogue when it comes in. the hot rail on the other hand is well.. hot.. it does have characteristics of a humbucker but it does leave so much to be desired.

Yeah, pick-ups are very defining in their tone, they can make or break a guitar. On not-so-expensive models you should just expect fairly bad wiring and so on, they're just trying to get the guitars out there; I mean the people buying the not-so-expensive guitars won't necessarily be super picky about a high quality build.

Or if you buy a Gibson that's under $2500 also expect poor wiring And don't even get me started on modern Marshall amps and their wiring, geez Louise. I mean the things work and that's great, but goddamn I've never seen that look on an electricians face before.

I've never changed pick-ups myself, i'd rather just hand that responsibility to someone else and throw money at them, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6w4g7UHWMc

For me, it's always, always better to just invest in what you really want when it comes to music gear and the like. Anything other than that always leaves you disappointed in one way or another and ends up costing you more money. Hard lesson to learn, but good to learn nonetheless.
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
thanks anthony. yeah i normally just let professionals do it. i live in louisville ky and in the past few years we have had 4 guitar shops close down. the closest one to me is about 30 miles away. we also lost our local venues where bands play. this was once a very great place for musicians but now even for a large city, it has become a barren wasteland for guitar players.
Quote by pyrojack502
thanks anthony. yeah i normally just let professionals do it. i live in louisville ky and in the past few years we have had 4 guitar shops close down. the closest one to me is about 30 miles away. we also lost our local venues where bands play. this was once a very great place for musicians but now even for a large city, it has become a barren wasteland for guitar players.

I guess too many micro breweries have started buying them out Are there no local guitar luthiers where you live? Or people that set up guitars/do repairs on them? They can also install pick ups
You Dont Know Me

Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
none. we have guitar center about a 45 minute drive and a music go round which is about a 30 minute drive. we had a willis music in the mall about 15 minutes away.. they closed. we had a store called professional music center. they closed and then there was okolona music center and they just closed down this october so i have to look this stuff up and do it myself. i am always afraid im gonna do something wrong.