Gibson Les Paul Standard vs. Gibson Les Paul Traditional

My favorite is the Standard, but what is yours?
Last edited by NHRoccodog at May 21, 2016,
Neither.

I have quite a few Gibson LP and Otherbrand LP-type guitars, but none are Standards or Trads.
Quote by dspellman
Neither.

I have quite a few Gibson LP and Otherbrand LP-type guitars, but none are Standards or Trads.
What do you have then?
I like both.Standard has more switching options,slimmer neck shape and more chambering but if you don't want/need that then Trad is a cool LP.
Last edited by EyeballPaul at May 21, 2016,
Quote by JustRooster
Quit making threads, bud.

This
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Quote by JustRooster
Quit making threads, bud.

+1
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
my favorite LP at the moment is one i maintain for church, its a mid 1990's studio. there is just something about it. i keep trying to buy it off of the guy, as he says he wants to sell it, but i think that deep down he loves it. it is just a very nice LP.

i have a pair of newer gibson LP studios, (2009? or older?), one was just retired, needs a refret and a new nut and switch i kept the 490R in the neck and threw a 500t in the bridge. that guitar oozes with mojo. the other i just pulled out of the box (brand new as said 2009ish or whatever) i bought two at the time because they were cheap, with intentions of playing it when the other was out of commission. i guess that prophesy was fulfilled. its nice, i just got done freshening it up the other day. what did i pay for both of those studios? $400 a pop new in box.

i also have a pair of gibson SG's and a gothic gibson v.

i just finished doing some work on the white one a few hours ago. the thing is fan-fucking-tastic.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
For USA Models I tended to lean towards the Trad over the Standard. The Traditional has kept the no-frills no nonsense Les Paul features LP fans like while the Standard seems to be HJs platform for messing with the formula to add his touch. I didn't mind the HD(?) version of the Trad that had the heel reduction, while it's never been a big deal for me for some the heel is a sore point.
Being a person who appreciates the originals I have 2 Re-Issues having sold my old Trad+ a few years ago. If you end up really liking an LP these may end up tempting you to step up but maybe they won't either. Plenty of USA owners that happily remain USA owners!

Don't mind the grumpy gusses OP. Some people may resent your expensive purchase and are taking it personally
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 22, 2016,
Quote by NHRoccodog
What do you have then?

i'm picturing a large storage space. with racking.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm picturing a large storage space. with racking.

Seriously. Photo studio and large music gear including Hammond B3, monster Leslies, PA gear.

25' x 10' x 10' tall. Costs me $281/month.
This style of racking:

And it's packed like a moving van, right to the ceiling.

A few of the really silly money guitars are in what used to be used for ladies fur storage; climate controlled, security lockup.
Quote by NHRoccodog
What do you have then?

I tend toward Customs (one is an Axcess Custom, with white multi-layer binding, split diamond, all that). Most of my working LPs have Floyds and smoothed neck heels. Some have neck-through construction. Most of the off-brands have the smoother neck heels as well. The clunky neck heels on Standards, Trads and Studios I can play, but not happily. I also have a few 24-fret LPs that have the 24th fret about where the 22nd would normally be (this moves the bridge/bridge pickup toward the neck about 3/4").

I've come close to Standards a couple of times, including one original '59 burst, and I think the Trads are nicely done (generally) for the money, but I don't own any.
Quote by EyeballPaul
I like both.Standard has more switching options,slimmer neck shape and more chambering but if you don't want/need that then Trad is a cool LP.
Yeah I agree with that. On the trad, the neck is much more chunky compared to the standard, but it's all personal preference.