A guitarist friend of mine was recently heaping praise on the BIAS FX/JamUp programs, and a ton of cover/tutorial videos I've been watching have been using them to get some amazing tones out of their guitars, so I started doing some research on the whole digital amp scene and have come out with several of questions.

-Does it really work as well and as realistically as you see in videos? I mean, these people have iPads that sound like full Marshall stacks paired with a floor full of pedals, but I'm curious as to how it actually works in "real-life." If it does, it seems like it could save you literally thousands of dollars on gear.

-Would something like this be worth replacing a "real" amp with? I'm one of those guitarists that really loves to crank up the "real" volume rather than play through headphones. If I bought a decent speaker, could I achieve a loud, full sound similar to that of an actual amp? Also, would I be able to run the guitar to the iPad and then to my current 100W amp instead of buying a whole new speaker?

-What's the best equipment I could get for the above mission at the lowest price? I'm currently looking at the following products:

Positive Grid BIAS FX/JamUp

iLoud Speaker: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BIPL8Z2/ref=as_li_ss_tl? ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00BIPL8Z2&linkCode=as2&tag=strnofil-20

iRig Interface: https://www.google.com/#q=iRig

Apogee Interface: http://www.amazon.com/Apogee-JAM-96k-Guitar-Interface/dp/B00H02C9TG/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Thanks for your input, everyone! Keep jamming!
Last edited by TheAviator1997 at May 21, 2016,
I have been using bias fx for a year now. The tones are quite good, but not as good as more expensive options like axe fx. I use these with studio heaphones as well as sudio monitors. With the monitors, the sound is good (btw yamaha hs5 x 2 - do NOT get the rockits as I sent mine back for a muddy tone) but it is not like having a good amp right there. The bass response is different and nothing will really replace a good amp (wih current tech). Forget about Jamup btw. Just bias fx and later get bias to tweak amps.

Apogee is a great interface. irig hd is what I have now and it is almost as good, but apogee just seems to be a bit better for compatibility for other users.

For bias fx, definitely remember to put a noise gate on mute at the beginning of the fx chain or you will get noise. Just a weird kink of it.

In short on fx, great tone for the price, but not an amp replacement. No idea on plugging it into a regular amp, but I suspect mud would come out
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
i don't have a ton of experience with newer modeling software, HOWEVER, speakers and/or headphones will make or break you.

i don't like the rocketts either, thats what i use though. i picked up a pair of open box 6incher rocketts for like $150, so it was hard to pass up at the time.

i suppose you could run it into a powered wedge PA speaker type of thing, and get good results. as far as that vs. studio monitors i cannot help you as to which is better.

on a mild tangent, i regurlarly use three different forms of output transducers. i have the rocketts for most recording, a really nice set of bose speakers and sub for general listening and to see how mixes sound when ran through a more 'normal' listening scenario, and a pair of sennheiser headphones. they all have their purpose. you will find that as well. i am currently PA shopping.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I have BIAS FX running thru Cubase and out thru two Tannoy 802's. It's for home use only, so not really the feedback you're looking for.

I don't like it for the most part, but it does have its perks. It's nice when I want to play late night and I need to be super quite. Or when I'm lazy and all my gear is packed so I want to just plug in and play and not deal with my gear. Having the effects and amp options is very cool and sounds good. But IMO its not the same as my pedal board and amp. Nor do I feel i would be conformable playing it live.

But like all things, it really matters what you think. Your fans won't care what you use.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+