Page 1 of 2
https://garroted1.bandcamp.com/releases

Hot off the press!

This forum is where I cut my teeth as a metal neophyte, so I figured that I would share this with you all. It may not have been possible without the knowledge I was exposed to here, whether it be through "ANUS threads", band recommendations, etc. I really don't post on UG much anymore, but I will always remember my time here. I hope you all enjoy.

Wimps beware
Nicely done, I really enjoyed that. I detected several tinges of many OSDM bands such as Timeghoul, Demilich, and Morbid Angel but it all blended so nicely. I definitely enjoyed the opener the most.
That was actually very killer! Gonna be lazy and piggy back on Hayden's accurate observations. Not a single complaint from these ears. You guys seem pretty damn talented. I may have to hit that repeat button...
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
sounds pretty good, but needs to be mixed better, the vocals have way too much effects on them. music wise solid, just needs a better mix. i did the guitar tone tho
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
I pretty much agree with the people above. Pretty good riffs, solid instrumentals overall. Vocals OK. Worst part is the album title font.

I dig the King Crimson and Lovecraft influenced name. The album art fits the vibe well, though I'm not sure what to make of the plant in the center.

EDIT: After listening more, I want to change 'pretty good riffs' to 'mostly good riffs, with some really cool ones'
Last edited by nyarlthotep57 at May 22, 2016,
My first impression is very positive.

There is a lot of content in the riffs and they are put together in a way that suggests a story rather than slotting them into generic cyclical structures. That you aren't relying on templates is also reflected in the fact that, although you influences show through, the sum of the style doesn't feel derivative. The songs are designed to convey meaning rather than just sound like another band, which is promising.

The songs cover a lot of ground in this way, so I won't be able to give a reasonable opinion of how they hold together until I've listened some more times, but trust me I will be.

A particular highlight was A Ritual Profane, which sunk its claws in around halfway through with those arpeggiated riffs. They actually called to mind the climactic, ritualistic riff in Crossing the Triangle of Flames by Darkthrone.
reminds me of the chasm so much.. Are you happy now Steph? ARE YOU HAPPY?

EDIT: BY Chasm, I mean the death metal bits with bit less melodic leads and more groovy morbid angel riffs. Not as much fruity synth bits and that's a disappointment.

Great stuff, Steph.
Last edited by severed-metal at May 22, 2016,
It's neat. Maybe your shitty band could do a split with my shitty band.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'll join the chorus of praise. Everyone said it better than I could already, but for the post's sake - really cool stuff. Agree re: narrative flow of the riffs; there's a tinge of something familiar in the overall vibe, but on the other hand the vision and the way its phrased is quite its own. Love the composition, atmosphere and the OSDM overall feel. I guess the production could be improved a little but then again, it's often the last thing I look at - it still has a raw, dark and otherworldly feel which serves the music well, so it has largely done its job there.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quality stuff bro. Thanks for sharing. I love the atmosphere. I gather you're the drummer? Great work.
Damn, I remembered posting this thread but I hadn't realized it was two fucking months ago! My bad for not checking back until now. Thanks very much for the positive feedback, guys! It means a lot as I know most people on here have fairly exacting tastes. I will keep y'all updated on future material when it is ready. Now I will try to answer everyone individually in a massive multi-quote...
Quote by HaydenHohns
Nicely done, I really enjoyed that. I detected several tinges of many OSDM bands such as Timeghoul, Demilich, and Morbid Angel but it all blended so nicely. I definitely enjoyed the opener the most.
Thanks dude. Those are all definitely prominent influences on us, Demilich and Morbid Angel probably the most so. I think my favorite song is the last one, but I like them all in different ways. The first one is the first we ever actually wrote as Garroted-- this would have been around mid-late 2013.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
That was actually very killer! Gonna be lazy and piggy back on Hayden's accurate observations. Not a single complaint from these ears. You guys seem pretty damn talented. I may have to hit that repeat button...
Thanks a lot man, it's quite flattering to know that someone who has heard as much music as you thinks highly of us. This is just the beginning, though. We are working on new material now. Hoping to put out another release by next year, and also acquire physical copies of our demo.
Quote by TheEmoStrangler
sounds pretty good, but needs to be mixed better, the vocals have way too much effects on them. music wise solid, just needs a better mix. i did the guitar tone tho
I think the echo on the vocals are OK. But yeah, mix-wise I feel as though the guitars dominate a little too much, and that the drums are drowned out somewhat. I'm happy with what we got for a first release, however. We did all of it in four sessions, so we really didn't spend much time (though I don't feel as though it's NECESSARY, but we were working with a deadline for the rhythm tracks).
Quote by Spidey93
Quality stuff bro. Thanks for sharing. I love the atmosphere. I gather you're the drummer? Great work.
Thanks man. Yeah, I play drums. I appreciate it!
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
I'll join the chorus of praise. Everyone said it better than I could already, but for the post's sake - really cool stuff. Agree re: narrative flow of the riffs; there's a tinge of something familiar in the overall vibe, but on the other hand the vision and the way its phrased is quite its own. Love the composition, atmosphere and the OSDM overall feel. I guess the production could be improved a little but then again, it's often the last thing I look at - it still has a raw, dark and otherworldly feel which serves the music well, so it has largely done its job there.
Yeah, I basically wanted it to sound the way it would if someone was in front of us listening to rehearsal. I want the album to sound like the live performance, more or less, so that if people come see us live, it's not SHITTY AS FUCK because we can't replicate the album. Btw, if I'm not mistaken, you paid to download the demo? If you're Alexei G then thanks a lot man!!! we've made about $100 in sales thus far which kinda blows my mind.
Quote by theogonia777
It's neat. Maybe your shitty band could do a split with my shitty band.
Possibly. We're not really interested in a split, but we already have a few bands we'd want to do one with if we did go that route. I'm glad you like it though.
Quote by severed-metal
reminds me of the chasm so much.. Are you happy now Steph? ARE YOU HAPPY?

EDIT: BY Chasm, I mean the death metal bits with bit less melodic leads and more groovy morbid angel riffs. Not as much fruity synth bits and that's a disappointment.

Great stuff, Steph.
Hmm, that's interesting to me as I haven't heard that comparison yet, but Ray does like The Chasm so I suppose there may be a bit of that seeping in. I'm glad you like it though man. It's been a while, I hope you've been doing well. I was actually looking for you on facebook the other day. Did you delete it?
Quote by Hoodoo Man
My first impression is very positive.

There is a lot of content in the riffs and they are put together in a way that suggests a story rather than slotting them into generic cyclical structures. That you aren't relying on templates is also reflected in the fact that, although you influences show through, the sum of the style doesn't feel derivative. The songs are designed to convey meaning rather than just sound like another band, which is promising.

The songs cover a lot of ground in this way, so I won't be able to give a reasonable opinion of how they hold together until I've listened some more times, but trust me I will be.

A particular highlight was A Ritual Profane, which sunk its claws in around halfway through with those arpeggiated riffs. They actually called to mind the climactic, ritualistic riff in Crossing the Triangle of Flames by Darkthrone.
Thanks a lot man. It makes me happy to hear that cause we definitely aren't trying to copy known structures or other bands. We just want to do our own shit. Luckily we seem to have succeeded in that. And yeah, the fourth song is my favorite. Darkthrone is a strong influence as well.
Quote by nyarlthotep57
I pretty much agree with the people above. Pretty good riffs, solid instrumentals overall. Vocals OK. Worst part is the album title font.

I dig the King Crimson and Lovecraft influenced name. The album art fits the vibe well, though I'm not sure what to make of the plant in the center.

EDIT: After listening more, I want to change 'pretty good riffs' to 'mostly good riffs, with some really cool ones'
Thanks! Nice username lol
Not enough 2 steps
Band members don't have gauged ear plugs
No 8+ stringed instruments
No one is the band is Trans/gay/lgbtbbq

You guys clearly aren't real metal and you are all a bunch of racist Nazi bigots.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
Not enough 2 steps
Band members don't have gauged ear plugs
No 8+ stringed instruments
No one is the band is Trans/gay/lgbtbbq

You guys clearly aren't real metal and you are all a bunch of racist Nazi bigots.
Look, I just got my ears stretched to 5", ok? My trans gf can actually fit her penis through my tunnels now. Prejudiced fuck.
Quote by severed-metal
Results were all positive. Unless they were all UG members in disguise, there is underground support for your band.

http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55247
I noticed that. That's pretty fucking awesome. We have had a spike in paid DLs recently, and the Bandcamp tells me that a good deal of our new visitors have come from NWN, so thanks for that Jon. : )
Quote by Steve08
Possibly. We're not really interested in a split, but we already have a few bands we'd want to do one with if we did go that route. I'm glad you like it though.

That's good because I don't want to anyway.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Good shit, that's a pretty good get. Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for the future.
Yeah, we are working on new shit as we speak. I think you'll like it. The goal is to go beyond this material, and continually advance in quality. There's a lot of pressure now, but I feel as though that's motivational.

Also, can confirm that we are in communications with Matt Calvert of Dark Descent about a tape release on that label. More info to come on that later.
Possible split with Blood Incantation haha. Gotta give Matt credit for being an integral member of the underground scene promoting music. That's even more sick. Damn, you guys really blew up since your release. Well I guess this is just the beginning, but still!
Huge congratulations bud. This is huge as far as I care. Good luck.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Huge congratulations bud. This is huge as far as I care. Good luck.
Thanks a lot my dude. I'm stoked. We're trying to take this band as far as possible. We'll see what happens. Of course, I'll never forget about you guys, either. I couldn't. This forum basically made me, haha.
Quote by severed-metal
Possible split with Blood Incantation haha. Gotta give Matt credit for being an integral member of the underground scene promoting music. That's even more sick. Damn, you guys really blew up since your release. Well I guess this is just the beginning, but still!
I know! It's crazy because these songs came out of MY BASEMENT, and we started this band when I was 16 and Ray was 13 (he recorded it when he was 18). I had no idea that it would blow up like this. I'm down with it though haha.
Two of mah boys have some good contacts with Metalblade, Earache, Roadrunner, Epitaph, Nuclear Blast, Victory, etc. Probably some more contacts through some connections as well. Also one of my business associates has some connections with Sony. And he's good friends with Nas but that probably doesn't help. I can see if they can hit some people up and get some people interested in some things.
Just figured I'd drop in to say that our tapes are officially coming out on Dark Descent and should be available sometime in mid October (per the fingerstrokes of Calvert).
Quote by theogonia777
Two of mah boys have some good contacts with Metalblade, Earache, Roadrunner, Epitaph, Nuclear Blast, Victory, etc. Probably some more contacts through some connections as well. Also one of my business associates has some connections with Sony. And he's good friends with Nas but that probably doesn't help. I can see if they can hit some people up and get some people interested in some things.
Thanks, but I really don't think any of those labels would be interested in us, haha. I'm not particularly interested in being signed to a big record label to begin with. I can definitely say that I have no interest in any deal where we would not necessarily have full creative control of the music. Not with this band, anyway. But as it is I find it very hard to believe that we are (or could become) a profitable enough commercial entity for anyone on that scale to care about us even remotely.
Last edited by Steve08 at Sep 14, 2016,
Congrats! He's a good man, that Matt Calvert. Dark Descent is a fucking good get, they're like the Relapse of the underground. Last I checked Matt is really communicative and enjoys loads of good metal, so good on you guys for that. Hopefully we'll see more in the future from GARROTED.
Quote by severed-metal
Congrats! He's a good man, that Matt Calvert. Dark Descent is a fucking good get, they're like the Relapse of the underground. Last I checked Matt is really communicative and enjoys loads of good metal, so good on you guys for that. Hopefully we'll see more in the future from GARROTED.

Thanks, my G. As far as I'm concerned, there is no true underground label with as much credibility as Dark Descent (that I know of, anyway-- I'm sure some of the label freaks on here might disagree) so I'm happy to be associated with them. As it were, we already have one new song written, two more in the works, as well as pins, shirts, and (soon to be) CDs and tapes. Hoping to put new music out early next year, and have other new music ready to be recorded BEFORE that's released.
I'll definitely be down for a shirt. If it's just the album cover I'd be more than accepting of that! Album cover is incredible, totally reminiscent of Cryptic Tales' Valley of the Dolls cover. It's so weird and beautifully suited to the music. I imagine the Dark Descent thing is official so I can post about it on nwnprod? Alternatively if you want you could, keep people in the know.

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1096512&sid=7b2cc63e33249e70fb579af149c5b1f3
When I order a shirt, I better get some sort of handwritten letter so I can be old and have stories about how I was part of the scene mannnnnnnnnnn.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by severed-metal
I'll definitely be down for a shirt. If it's just the album cover I'd be more than accepting of that! Album cover is incredible, totally reminiscent of Cryptic Tales' Valley of the Dolls cover. It's so weird and beautifully suited to the music. I imagine the Dark Descent thing is official so I can post about it on nwnprod? Alternatively if you want you could, keep people in the know.

http://www.nwnprod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1096512&sid=7b2cc63e33249e70fb579af149c5b1f3
yeah it's official, definitely do that. And thanks, I'm glad you like the artwork. The brother of our vocalist actually painted that. I like to keep it in the family in that sense. As for shirts, it's just the logo in red with nothing on the back right now. We're gonna be selling those for about 12 bucks I think. We'll have more with a more engaging design once we sell out of them.
Quote by progbass
When I order a shirt, I better get some sort of handwritten letter so I can be old and have stories about how I was part of the scene mannnnnnnnnnn.
Dirty old men. *snort*
Last edited by Steve08 at Sep 19, 2016,
12 bucks? Quit appealing to my poverty. Also what's his name? His artwork is really unique and interesting.
Quote by severed-metal
12 bucks? Quit appealing to my poverty. Also what's his name? His artwork is really unique and interesting.
Nick Jacobs. I'm not sure if he has any formal online portfolio, but you can search him on Instagram or FB. He's a real cool dude. Thought about using more of his art for future releases, but we have other guys in mind too, like this kid from The Philippines who goes by "Exxie".
Yo!!! We are officially in the running to play RPM Fest in Western MA next year. If any of you are on Facebook I'd greatly appreciate it if you could take a brief moment to cast a vote for us here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1072518436158288/permalink/1113760905367374/

Thanks!
Voted - you guys seem to be leading the charge so far, killer

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Damn, this hit me right in the loins. I dig man, I dig.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

Quote by linfield4466
Damn, this hit me right in the loins. I dig man, I dig.
Thanks a lot man, I know you are a discerning listener, so I appreciate that. Hope you like our new stuff. It'll be out early next year.
This is great stuff. I can really see this in a playlist along with other greats.
For anyone who cares, here's a drum cam video of me playing Black Spectre on the 13th at the Worcester Palladium:

Quote by alx305
This is great stuff. I can really see this in a playlist along with other greats.
Thanks man. Hope you like the new music. It'll be out soon.
Page 1 of 2