I hope to get an Ibanez S Prestige (wanted a Music Man but they are just too expensive), and as there are some cheaper ones with stock ibanez pups, I will be able to upgrade.

I'm thinking about the PAF Master or Paf Pro from DiMarzio, or maybe Alnico Pro 2 from Duncan. Open to Bareknuckle or whatever. Paul Gilbert has a Paf Master RG that sounds good. Looking for similar tones, something good for shredding but on the warmer side like Slash's LP tone. Doesn't have to be an LP tone exactly, but in that ballpark would be nice, especially for the neck. The bridge can be a bit more aggressive.

Just gathering info and will do further research on youtube. Not going to get the guitar so soon but it is fun to look at.

Thank you!
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
I wouldn't exactly say an S would be the easiest way to get to an LP-like tone in a superstrat.

I would say an ESP Horizon would likely get you closer, especially a mahogany bodied one. Something like this Horizon NT would probably be a better fit.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Why would the S be bad for it?

I'll check into Horizons but since I live in Japan Ibanez is much more readily available and a cheaper price. Same reason why Music Man is out of the question. Pretty much Ibanez, Gibson, Fender, PRS, some Japanese brands, or else other stuff at outrageous prices.

For amp, sadly studio headphones and bias fx. Can't use a real amp in my living situation.

Edit: unfortunately no decent prices found for ESP guitars here
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at May 22, 2016,
Quote by 21GunSalute

Depends on how close you want to be. Simply putting a pair of humbuckers on a guitar doesn't make it sound like an LP (depends on how general you want to get about it). That's why Clapton, et. al., went to the LP in the first place over simply using random 2xhumbucker guitars that already existed at the time.

The overall combination of scale, small/dense mahogany body, solid mahogany neck and TOM style bridge along with the placement of the pickups -- all combine to make the sound.
An S won't really sound like an LP (scale length, woods, tailpiece), but adding warmer pickups can help get in the ballpark. You might try something with an Alnico 2 magnets will do it, which adds mids. It will be at the expense of lows a bit (they will sound a bit flabby, but so does Slash's).
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Hmm I don't need it to sound exactly the same, but too far off would be a bummer. I play mainly lead so the S is perfect in terms of features...but I want to get away from that tone many Ibanez players have which isn't warm like what LPs tend to have.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Well, the Slash versions are a little clearer sounding than the ALnico Pro IIs. If it is an S-style body, I'd go with the Alnicos to help with some of the mids.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
Well, the Slash versions are a little clearer sounding than the ALnico Pro IIs. If it is an S-style body, I'd go with the Alnicos to help with some of the mids.

Wait do you mean to go with the Slash alnicos or the alnico pro 2's? Both have alnico in the name so it's hard to tell which.

The youtube videos (all with LPs...) with the slash pickups sound really good. If it's 80% like that, I should be happy.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute

1. From experience here: The S series sounds like a brighter, thinner SG style guitar.

2. ESP is a Japanese brand so why wouldn't you be able to find them for reasonable prices? Edwards is also an option being the "slightly more budget" version of ESP for the Japan market.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
1. From experience here: The S series sounds like a brighter, thinner SG style guitar.

2. ESP is a Japanese brand so why wouldn't you be able to find them for reasonable prices? Edwards is also an option being the "slightly more budget" version of ESP for the Japan market.

ESPs don't sell well here. Ibanez is also seen as lower quality than US brands but their affordability keeps them here.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
By the way..what do you guys think a Dimario Illuminator bridge and PAF Master neck would be like for an S? I don't care so much about perfect matching between the bridge and neck. Illuminator for tight leads and metal and paf master for soulful leads. I just say paf master but maybe the alnico 2 pro or other paf would also work.
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you