I'm looking to buy my first tube amp with a budget of around $1000. I already have a cabinet, which is an 80's Marshall 1936 loaded with G12-65's.

I play mainly blues and hard rock. A few of the artists I play most often are Guns N' Roses, Joe Satriani, and the Foo Fighters. I do a lot of blues improv. I also occasionally do some jazz and classic rock type stuff, but the other two genres are more important to me.

I've narrowed what I would want to buy down to these amps:
Marshall JVM205H (Used)
Marshall JCM900 (Used)
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister Deluxe 40 (New)
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo (Used)

Which of these amps would be best for my needs? Is there another amp that I haven't looked at?
I'm inclined to recommend a used JCM800 2204 if you can find one. Failing that, see if you can find a JCM900 MkIII or SL-X.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
splawn quickrod/promod?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
We'll, lasts I looked, Satch used Peaveys & Marshalls.

His protege & buddy Vai uses Carvins...actually has a signature amp line with them. And they have other amps that might do the trick. Affordable, too.
http://carvinaudio.com/pages/guitar-amplifiers
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 22, 2016,
After doing a little research into more amps, I foud the Carvin V3 after looking into the Legacy like dannyalcatraz suggested. I saw a few reviews of it and it seemed pretty good. But would it be worth it to spend a little more money and get a used JVM205 or wait for the H&K to start shipping? At this point, I'm pretty much set in 3 channels.

The JSX sounded a little too modern and high gain for me. I heard that Satch only used the clean channel with his signature Vox distortions, and I'm looking to get the distortion out of the amp.
Quote by diabolical
All the channels of the JSX are awesome, no matter what Satch did. It is really not that modern, not if you are comparing it to H&K or the Carvin V3, they sound a lot more modern.

+3.1415. The JSX is the best dollar for dollar amp you can buy if you want rock/metal tones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
I guess modern wasn't the right word, but there is just something about the distorted tones from all the demos I've seen that I don't like. I'm not quite able to put my finger on it, and I'm not saying it's a bad amp, just not my cup of tea.

The Marshall, the H&K, and the Carvin all sound better to me. Like I've said before, I have a budget of around $1k, and I've seen the Marshall go for under that used in nearly mint condition, so I'm not worried about the difference in prices. So, which of these three would be best?
Last edited by cheezstickper at May 29, 2016,
Go play a JSX/XXX! Seriously don't let demos dictate your amp buying, it is very versatile. If you are using one single amp for everything from classic rock, jazzy tunes, and modern saturated rock, it may be exactly what you are looking for.

If I recorded a demo of a JSX it would be death metal. Nothing like what you would be dialing in.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by cheezstickper
I guess modern wasn't the right word, but there is just something about the distorted tones from all the demos I've seen that I don't like. I'm not quite able to put my finger on it, and I'm not saying it's a bad amp, just not my cup of tea.

The Marshall, the H&K, and the Carvin all sound better to me. Like I've said before, I have a budget of around $1k, and I've seen the Marshall go for under that used in nearly mint condition, so I'm not worried about the difference in prices. So, which of these three would be best?

if you want marshall, get a splawn QR. the JVM's flat out suck.

i would try an H&K out in person. the clips sound OK at best, in real life it was just a fizzy mess. like a beer can full of angry bees. also i think there is some SS shit going on in there too if that matters. maybe the new model is different, but i honestly don't know.

as far as the carvin? they are nice but i like the legacy over the V3 but they are different and i have only had limited experience with them in person.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I hear such great things about Splawn... I played around with a, crap I don't remember the model, combo of theirs ever-so-briefly and it seemed like some nice kit.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
trashedlostfdup, what was it you preferred about the Legacy over the V3? I mean, I'd expect it to be the better amp, but I know you have a LOT more experience with a wider variety of amps than I do. ( )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I hear such great things about Splawn... I played around with a, crap I don't remember the model, combo of theirs ever-so-briefly and it seemed like some nice kit.

they are pretty sweet. they don't do quiet as well as other amps. and they don't hide playing flaws at all. but once you get used to them they are absolutely massive.

they are one of the best built amps you can find though. the guts are godly and transformers are huge. top notch components.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I think a relevant question is what are you planning on doing with your new amp? Are you a gigging musician or playing at home? Are you playing large(ish) venues or clubs? I ask because you're looking at some big, powerful amps there as well as more moderate amps. It may be that a less powerful but cranked amp would be a better tonal option for you than a big amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
I think a relevant question is what are you planning on doing with your new amp? Are you a gigging musician or playing at home? Are you playing large(ish) venues or clubs? I ask because you're looking at some big, powerful amps there as well as more moderate amps. It may be that a less powerful but cranked amp would be a better tonal option for you than a big amp.

That would make sense if that were true ( that low power cranked automagically sounds better than high power at moderate levels) but it's simply not.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
That would make sense if that were true ( that low power cranked automagically sounds better than high power at moderate levels) but it's simply not.

+1 that is just bad information.

i can get my MKIV to sound better at low volumes than my 5F1.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Jsx
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by dannyalcatraz
trashedlostfdup, what was it you preferred about the Legacy over the V3? I mean, I'd expect it to be the better amp, but I know you have a LOT more experience with a wider variety of amps than I do. ( )

sorry danny i missed this post. lol.

i liked the legacy, but i haven't ever a/b'd them.

to put it simple, if i remember right, the legacy was just more 'musical' or maybe 'organic'. the V3 was kind of harsh and (maybe fizzy) would be the right word? the one thing though, is that i have no idea what tubes were in either. that can make a huge difference.

i will end up buying one of them at some point. probably whichever pops up for the right price when i have the cash. i want a mesa mkiii bad though, so it will probably be a while until i get one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The Legacy MkI is a very close copy to Marshall JCM800, great amp. Haven't played the second one but I think it got a gain channel that can distort a bit more.

OP - how about Mesa? Have you looked at their line? The Mark V:Twenty Five although I am not sure you can get in that price. The Mesa 5:50 Express will be perfect but I don't think it comes in a head format, maybe someone on here will know more?
I'd say maybe look into Single or Dual Rectifier Head.

Also look at the Traynor - that is a fantastic head in your ballpark $ figure, very cool amps and more of a warmer sound like you require, check some of their videos:
http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycs/product/ycs50h/

I think one other amp that we didn't mention might work good in your situation - the Egnater Tweaker head, it comes in 40 watt or 88 watt version, look those up as well. They have a lot of modes so you're bound to find your tone on that one as well.

Personally - as per your requirements, I'd most likely go with the Traynor, it is the closest that gets to Marshall sound, great quality and is brand new costs as much as used Marshall...unless you can score a DSL JCM2000 head for less, which might also work for you.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
sorry danny i missed this post. lol.

i liked the legacy, but i haven't ever a/b'd them.

to put it simple, if i remember right, the legacy was just more 'musical' or maybe 'organic'. the V3 was kind of harsh and (maybe fizzy) would be the right word? the one thing though, is that i have no idea what tubes were in either. that can make a huge difference.

i will end up buying one of them at some point. probably whichever pops up for the right price when i have the cash. i want a mesa mkiii bad though, so it will probably be a while until i get one.

Thanks!

If you're set on a marshall, the 6100 would be a better bet than the JVM
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Just as a F.Y.I., there are 3 Carvin Legacy 2x12 combos on eBay right now, ranging from $600-685.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'll probably try out all of the amps that have been recommended before I buy one, and that will take a while. I looked at literally every Guitar Center, Sam Ash, local music store, and Craigslist listing in my state, and I didn't find any of these amps, so it will be a while before I buy one.