Still on my journey to return to playing guitar after decades away. I am playing a 1970's Gibson ES-175D archtop and didn't even own an amp. I ended up buying a modeler (Line6 HD500x through a 5 inch monitor speaker - pretty much only playing for myself/by myself in a small den). This was part amp and part toy to play with, to be honest.

To the limits of my abilities (which shows up quickly) I play fingerstyle chord melody and walking bass stuff. I have found/made a couple of 'presets' (amp/effect settings) that work pretty well for jazz'y chord melody stuff. But I am having trouble with the Low E string which just sounds way to 'Boomey' for me on the walking bass stuff. I have tilted the neck pickup (which is what I am using) to make the low E side a bit lower plus have lowered the low E pole piece (these are humbuckers, BTW). But I still have that problem and I noticed it as well when played through a Line6 Pocket Pod into a 2 inch Bose computer speaker. FWIW it is less of a problem on the bridge pickup.

I am currently using .011 nickel/wound strings. I guess I need to do some experimenting here, but I was thinking of going with a different low E string (currently a .048). Other thoughts on this?

BTW, I can mostly get rid of this with one of the EQ effects (e.g. a 6db or more low cutoff at 150 hz or the EQ effect that boosts the mid range). But both of these seem to me to be extreme solutions.

Other thoughts? Thanks.

dave
FWIW, I fixed this simply by swapping out the EB Power Slinky .011 string set for a (much higher end) set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing strings (.012). It was an amazing change. For what I play on my ES-175D the TI strings are clearly the better choice. But I can most certainly imagine folks playing other stuff on a solid body guitar preferring the EB's.

dave
Sounding "boomy" may have to do with the room you are playing in (and most likely does), and it may also have to do with the speakers you are playing through. 150 Hz is a common problematic frequency and it is a frequency that you usually cut. I do the same on my bass amp when I'm playing at home. It only sounds good if I turn that frequency all the way down. Oh, and I also do that on my computer (though the frequency I'm cutting is more like 130 Hz).

Sometimes you need to go to the extremes. If it sounds good, it sounds good. It doesn't matter how "extreme" the EQ looks like.

A graphic EQ would be the best choice because it is pretty accurate. That's an easy way of getting rid of a bad frequency without affecting other frequencies.

Oh, you already fixed the problem. Well, whatever.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I can't afford to be replacing TI strings all the time. Nor can I find them all that easily <G>. And my ancient ES-175 only has a neck pickup (it's a '49). For my money, this is a technique issue; I just turned off the amp altogether and played the guitar acoustically until I got some kind of balance. When I went back to the amp, I pulled that same 150hz frequency down and it's been perfect (except that I don't do this enough to keep my technique where it should be).
In my case the required technique with and without an amp were very different. And since I occasionally pick up my classical guitar, this just made the difference more obvious. So I needed to do something (and probably could have done it with simply EQ actions).

I'm honestly not sure if the big difference (re: strings) was going from EB to TI strings or simply going to flatwounds. The TI's are noticeably warmer, more mellow, less bright, less penetrating (pick your description) across all strings. Overall I like the TI's better, but I will admit that this new tone has caused me to think "maybe there are times that I need to start using my nails like I did when I actually played classical guitar". However, I'm not sure if you can mix the two ways of playing and I just HATED nail maintenance.

dave
fuck those strings are expensive. i get 10 packs of whatever for less than one pack of those. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Holy Sh*t!! I can't believe how much those strings cost. Are they hand spun silver or something? Wow. That is amazing.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by Rickholly74
Holy Sh*t!! I can't believe how much those strings cost. Are they hand spun silver or something? Wow. That is amazing.

I think the last time I bought a set of those they were inching toward $35/pack for the George Benson flat-wounds. I found a 25% off sale and stashed some in vacuum bags with a VCI (vapor corrosion Inhibitor -- what NASA uses to store metal parts) sheet for company. I have an old Super 400 and a '39 Epiphone Emperor that like those things, but it's a special occasion when I haul those things out.
I'm posting this just for the amusement of those of you with more experience with electric guitars/amplifiers than I have (and that would be probably about anybody inclined to be reading this thread).

I am space constrained and my setup was in front of my desk (where my laptop lives). Immediately to my left is a bookcase (with doors) and inside this is a JBL 5 inch monitor speaker and 'underneath' the bookshelf is a Line6 HD500x simulator. I can easily drag out the simulator if I want to mess around with foot switches but I typically control stuff with the editor running on my laptop. The point is that the speaker is maybe 4 feet from where I sit, inside a 'doored bookcase' where the doors kind of act like an 1900 vintage horn type hearing aid. AND I am playing a Gibson ES-175D hollow body guitar. It is a laminate top so feedback is reduced when compared to (for example) a Gibson L-5, but ...

Anyway it would appear that the 500X accurately models some of the high gain amplifiers it claims to support. I am basing this on some of the 150 db noise that I have generated recently (where high gain stuff is just to play around). I have since moved the speaker a bit further away and no longer lives in a 'hearing aid horn' :-)

dave

ps. It is interesting that now that I have messed around with the boomey problem more, the choice of simulated cabinets makes a huge difference. More than I initially realized.
Last edited by DaveLeeNC at Jun 4, 2016,