I was offered one of these heads in lieu of payment on a gig I recently did. I knew that a previous incarnation of this head was an underground classic in the 90's with bands such as Death, Prong, and (I think) Static X so I decided what the hell and went for it. Worst case scenario, it could be a good backup amp, something I didn't have at the time.

I was able to play it on the gig. I went old school and stuck with the OD 2 channel. I set it at moderate gain and rolled my volume knob up and down for dynamics rather than try and mess with all three channels on the fly. I used a chorus pedal with the volume rolled back for 'cleans' and a boost pedal if I needed to go over top for shredding.

I realized it gets shrill sounding pretty quick, but when I kept the contour knob around 9 o'clock, it was pretty sweet and actually served me well for the gig.

Afterwards I was able to mess with the other channels and here's what I thought.

The clean channel is surprisingly good. Bright and clear as a bell. On a scale of 1-10 with a Fender Twin being a 10, I'd give it an 8. Going straight in with no effects I can fake a nice Ted Greene vibe. It will thin out if you crank it beyond a certain point but should work well on most gigging situations for a funk band or if your playing solo guitar at a wedding.

I don't like the OD 1 channel much. Without the use of the contour knob, the gain is harsh to my ears. If I dial the treble down, it's okay (but not great) for a mild grit. I normally shut this one down and use it as a de facto standby mode with the foot switch.

Still, for a $200 head I didn't even pay for out of pocket, I can't complain.

I'll also say it seems to react more to speaker/cab changes than any other head I've played through. Maybe a characteristic of being a Hybrid amp?

I'd be curious as to what others think and if they know of any tricks to get more out of it.
Last edited by waystefspayce at May 22, 2016,
It is a very good amp for what it is, pretty much a solid state Marshall. That was the best ss line that they did...the whole VS line was good, and the combos came with real Celestions, all made in England.
I actually put this head through a friends' old cab from his Plexi 70s Marshall amp (I think all 4 original Greenbacks) and that was the best sounding thrash/death metal setup I've ever played. Too bad he wouldn't sell me these speakers.
Overall, it is quite versatile all round amp and could cover a lot of bases.
Yeah the VS100 was pretty cool. I always thought it had a nice clean sound, and with the contour down and treble run low I found some cool sounds. I liked mine through Texas Heats.

Marshall also did the Lead 12, which was pretty sweet for a little amp like that.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.