Hi guys, I am a complete luddite when it comes to heads and cabs, having been in the combo world for so long. I have done some reading on the subject and I think I am pretty clear about most things. As I understand it, you should generally aim to match your head and cab, for example you should aim to have a 300 watt head that can drive a 300 watt cab at the appropriate impedance, e.g. 8ohms from the cab (if that is what the head can do).

Having a head and cab that doesn't match impedance will result in the power being halved or more, and having a head that is more powerful than the cab can blow it?

My question is, if for example you have a head at 300 Watts and a 400 watt cab, would that be suitable if the impedance matched? Apologies if I have got this all wrong! Thanks again
You can run all kinds of different power/wattage combinations, as far as heads and cabs go (60 watt head into a 240 watt cab, 100 watt head into a 300 watt cab, etc). You definitely do not want a cab rated for equal, or less wattage than the head puts out though (I.e - You risk blowing out speakers if you try cranking up a 100-watt head through a 100-watt cab - Not that I recommend doing this on a regular basis anyways, unless you have plenty of hearing protection, or don't have to worry about neighbors calling the cops ). You should definitely match the impedance on the head and cab as well.

To answer your original question though, a 300 watt head into a 400 watt cab both running at matching ohms will be totally fine.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
So long as the cab has a higher wattage than the cab, and has the corresponding ohm inputs then yep it's fine!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
So long as the cab has a higher wattage than the cab, and has the corresponding ohm inputs then yep it's fine!

Awesome, I'm guessing you meant the cab has a higher wattage than the head? Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Quote by K2LU533
Awesome, I'm guessing you meant the cab has a higher wattage than the head? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

haha yep that's what i meant!:

A cab should always have more wattage than the head, and be sure the head and cab have a corresponding ohm input!

Also, you'll also need a speaker cable to connect the head to the cab, be sure you get a speaker cable and not a guitar cable, they look very similar but do very different jobs!
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.