Years ago I left behind my old multi-effects board. The sound was too processed and I found myself spending too much time on it and not enough on my fretboard.

Now I see players making some nice sounds with AX FX2. That unit is rather pricey but I see the FX8 unit is a little more reasonable. I am pondering venturing once more into a multi-effects unit but don't want to end up where I was before. Also, I like good tube amps and am not looking to replace that sound.

What do you think about the FX8?
I use an AX8 but the effects are the same as the FX8. I don't know if anyone would think any effects in there sound 'processed'..it is a serious professional effects device. When bypassed, your sound won't go through converters, and the effects are as good as you want to program them.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
It depends what you are willing to spend. TC Electronics have some serious multifx units (G Major, G System) that sound wonderful but for the distortions.

I also get around with a Boss GT-10 for multifx, which sounds great but I bypass the amp emulation and use a real preamp.

A lot of people use the POD HD500 in the same way as well.

In other words, what I am trying to say is that if you can pick a nice preamp or floor distortion box you won't need to purchase the expensive modelers like Axe Fx and Kemper.
The FX8 is effects only, the AX8 is primarily a modeller (small brother to the AXE FXII). If all you want is multi-effects then the FX8 will do. Especially if you're happy with the amp you have. If all you want is distortion then sure a single pedal will do.
I personally don't appreciate most of BOSS's stuff. But to each their own.
I have the POD HD500 and just using it for effects is a bit of a waste as that's only a small portion of what it does. However they are a lot less money than Fractal stuff to begin with and if you find a used one or 300 /400 model you won't be spending more $$ than what you'd spend on a couple of better quality pedals. My Wampler cost $200 alone and you'd easily score a used HD300 for that!
Moving on.....
Quote by Seriden
Years ago I left behind my old multi-effects board. The sound was too processed and I found myself spending too much time on it and not enough on my fretboard.

Now I see players making some nice sounds with AX FX2. That unit is rather pricey but I see the FX8 unit is a little more reasonable. I am pondering venturing once more into a multi-effects unit but don't want to end up where I was before. Also, I like good tube amps and am not looking to replace that sound.

To me the FX8 is overkill in terms of size and price. The FX are top of the line - many professionals run Axe FX live for just the fx, not the amp sims.

It all depends on what you need. It definitely will not suck your tone like the more common older multi-fx units from Boss or Line 6. If you need a lot of presets at your immediate disposal, then it might be worth the price. For me, I can't imagine lugging that thing around unless it was the only pedal I was using. I certainly don't like navigating those screens and terrible interfaces.

I would suggest looking into the Eventide stompboxes - the H9 in particular - it takes up very little real estate on a board, will be much cheaper and you can just buy the algos you need. You can control it with an iphone as well.

If you plan on running many fx at the same time, the Eventide is not a good choice, but if you plan on simply having different fx at your disposal, then it will work great.
Quote by Seriden
I am pondering venturing once more into a multi-effects unit but don't want to end up where I was before. Also, I like good tube amps and am not looking to replace that sound.

The FX8 is decent, but has not been overly well received. Apparently it's considered a bit overpriced for what it does, even among Fractal fans. I've only tried it at the LA Amp Show and at a couple of other shows, and honestly, I think it's very well done. Worth noting that the larger Axe unit has duplicated "good tube amps" to the satisfaction of nearly everyone that owns one.

Another unit that's in the same general price range as the FX8 and AX8 is the Line 6 Helix. This is another unit that even the most hardened tube amp stalwarts find difficult to complain about (because unlike the FX8, it supplies amp/cab IRs as well). And the FX are very well done as well.
Quote by reverb66
To me the FX8 is overkill in terms of size and price. The FX are top of the line - many professionals run Axe FX live for just the fx, not the amp sims.

It all depends on what you need. It definitely will not suck your tone like the more common older multi-fx units from Boss or Line 6. If you need a lot of presets at your immediate disposal, then it might be worth the price. For me, I can't imagine lugging that thing around unless it was the only pedal I was using. I certainly don't like navigating those screens and terrible interfaces.

I would suggest looking into the Eventide stompboxes - the H9 in particular - it takes up very little real estate on a board, will be much cheaper and you can just buy the algos you need. You can control it with an iphone as well.

If you plan on running many fx at the same time, the Eventide is not a good choice, but if you plan on simply having different fx at your disposal, then it will work great.

To be fair many users report the PC interface for programming is much easier. The idea is to pre-program your needs into it and then you can select entire configurations of effects with a single button. You'd do much more tap dancing ona an effects pedal board IMO.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
To be fair many users report the PC interface for programming is much easier. The idea is to pre-program your needs into it and then you can select entire configurations of effects with a single button. You'd do much more tap dancing ona an effects pedal board IMO.

This is true of almost everything that has a computer editing program (Pods on up).

You can program entire live sets while just moving through the user preset buttons to make changes while playing. No matter how complicated the effects chain is that you set up, it's only a single stomp to make it happen.
Actually, the Fractal units, while they have great computer editors, are really easy to edit from the front panel.
A used Line6 M9 or M13 is a cheap alternative, that is also easy to tweak live. They behave just like stompboxes.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan