Page 1 of 2
You really got hung up on that argument last week, huh?
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Beer is ~95% water which means my water intake is above average
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by FireFromTheVoid
You really got hung up on that argument last week, huh?

He's still not got a clue what the chart actually says, though. The column he's referencing is not how much you need to drink.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Or, if you sit on your ass all day and play guitar/dick around on the computer like me, 0 liters
i usually drink 2 big cups of tea when i wake up and another at like 11 and then 1 at lunch and then 1 at like 3, so that's 5 and i would guess they're around 300ml so that's 1500ml, then after dinner i drink a pint of squash, so that's like 500ml or whatevr and then i carry on drinking pints of squash in the evening unless i'm drinking so maybe about 3 litres a day
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Food moisture makes up, I think, 25% of your daily requirement or thereabouts.

The official advice from the British Dietetic Association is the liquid volume intake for adults be around 2l/day.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33979225
The official advice from the British Dietetic Association is the liquid volume intake for adults be around 2l/day.

noobs i could drink at least double that
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
( )_( ) signature to help him gain World Domination

Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall
Do you remember dawn escapes from moon washed college halls
Do you remember the cherry blossom in the market square
Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Shame that doesn't go into the fun details of drinking too much water.

Well you do have to have shite kidneys or be sweating like a priest in a primary school before water toxicity becomes an issue.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Interesting link that lead me to some other links, thanks for sharing

For anyone interested, the preface to the related report about the reference intakes and a chapter with more information about water specifically.

Basically, the 3.7 figure also includes 20% of water that comes from food (leaving about 3l for the drinking part). That being said, these are reference values from healthy people - the median of what they do take in. This does not imply a necessary minimum or maximum intake.

From the preface:

Given the ability of many humans to adapt to varying amounts of electrolyte intake and the impact of temperature and activity level on needs of electrolytes and water, it was not possible to determine Estimated Average Requirements (EAR) for these nutrients. Instead, Adequate Intakes (AIs) were set for sodium, potassium, and water.

And from the notes in the data sheets themselves:
...individuals can be adequately hydrated at levels below as well as above the AIs provided.
[...]
Thirst and consumption of beverages at meals are adequate to maintain hydration.

So in short:
Drink when thirsty. If you're not showing any signs that could point to either dehydration or excessive consumption, you're on the right track.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at May 22, 2016,
Quote by gonzaw at #33979308
If you are thirsty, do drink water
If you are not thirsty, don't drink water

There, problem solved

Nice life hack
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Apparently, for every cup of coffee you drink, you have to drink one glass of water to compensate.

ron666
I just think the people that hate have nothing better to do. Get a life and drink a gallon of water a day.
I'm lucky if I drink 2 liters of water a day
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I've seen multiple things in the past saying that the "you must drink x liters of water a day" is bunk. Basically, it depends entirely on how active you are, the temperature, how much you're sweating, etc. Obviously if you're running track in the summer in a desert you need a lot more water than if you're sitting on your ass in the air conditioning all day. Basically as long as you're peeing regularly and it's clear or close to it then you're fine. Of course you can always pull averages to look at to give you an idea, but people are different and have different metabolic needs.

I just try to keep water sitting beside me all day long and drink whenever I feel like it.

The human body is fairly good at letting you know what it needs. If you're thirsty, then you need to drink water. That's all there is to it.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at May 22, 2016,
Drink until your pee has no color.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I probably drink double that, I tend to drink a litre of water per meal o.o

500ml breakfast
1L lunch
1L dinner
1.5L+ at night time
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by gonzaw
If you are thirsty, do drink water
If you are not thirsty, don't drink water

There, problem solved

Your post was unusually succinct, please expand
I am rarely thirsty despite sweating a lot so I often forget to drink water throughout the day if I am sedentary, so just about a glass per meal. By the end of the day I'm really cranky and I have a massive headache.

So drink when you're thirsty doesn't work for me. I started putting glasses out everywhere so I'll look at them and remember to get water, which works when I'm at home.
cat
^yea, it can be easy to ignore if there's nothing reminding you about it and you're used to ignoring it. It works if you just keep a glass of water around you so you're constantly seeing it and thinking "am I thirsty?"
I probably drink more water when I am sedentary because it is something to do while I am bored.

drinking a lot of water is hard when you are out & about 'cuz then you have to pee & you gotta find a public restroom, which is annoying to begin with, & then when you go inside there is probably urine all over the floor & some dude hawking a loog into the urinal next to you -- gross!
I actually take the time and write down all the vitamins and minerals I need and find foods I know is readily available and figure out how much of what I need to eat.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers at #33979613
I actually take the time and write down all the vitamins and minerals I need and find foods I know is readily available and figure out how much of what I need to eat.

Interesting, I do not

seems like a waste of time we gonna die anyway
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I probably shouldn't gossip, but Axel legit asked if there were really girl gamers the other day. I was just like...
Quote by Joshua Garcia at #33979712
I probably shouldn't gossip, but Axel legit asked if there were really girl gamers the other day. I was just like...

Tell him he should come back and he is missed.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by chrismendiola
This is, on average, how much water needs to be consumed, not how much one should drink.

Actually, it's the median of how much water is consumed (you're correct: total consumption, not exclusive to drinks) by generally healthy people, with the data coming from a survey. It specifically mentions not being able to give a recommended daily intake (minimum or maximum).
Quote by ultimate-slash
Actually, it's the median of how much water is consumed (you're correct: total consumption, not exclusive to drinks) by generally healthy people, with the data coming from a survey. It specifically mentions not being able to give a recommended daily intake (minimum or maximum).

shut up ok ;_;
Quote by ultimate-slash

Also, I didn't read through anything attached in any detail, so I don't know how they arrived at that figure.

I can be fairly certain, though, that the figures can't be readily transferred to real life, because:

1) figures gathered by self-reporting are inaccurate, because people are terrible at estimating portion sizes and actually recording their dietary intake

2) figures gathered by observation are accurate, but not transferable, because people behave differently when they know they are being observed.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 2