Hi all,
So I have a question or two. I am getting a Marshall DSL5c and it only has a 16 ohm output but my 4x12 cabinet that I want to run it into is 8 ohms. After doing some reading, I don't think I can rewire it to ever be 16 ohms without replacing the stock speakers. They are stock Marshall Celestion g12-412mg speakers rated at 8 ohms each.

My question is, can I rewire just two of the speakers to be 16 ohms going to a new jack with an out? I was going to mirror that with the other two speakers and another jack with an out. If I wanted to use just one set of 2 speakers at 16 ohms I could just plug in to one group or if I wanted to use both sets at 8 ohms with a different head, I could just jumper from one out to the other speaker set's in. Would this work? Also would you do a top set and a bottom set or would you do side by side sets? It is a slant cab so I was thinking I could do bottom and top.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
If you have four 8 ohm speakers, you can wire two of them together in series to produce a 16 ohm impedance. And you can do the same with the other two as well. There are already 4x12 cabinets on the market that are wired to allow either mono or stereo use.

I've only ever done side-by-side stereo; top and bottom never made sense.
A pair of 12" speakers in a vertical column has more horizontal dispersion (usually preferred). A pair of 12" speakers run horizontally has more vertical dispersion, but not as much side-to-side. Running a pair of bottom speakers horizontally can produce some erratic acoustic and mechanical coupling and some odd booming bass notes here and there.
So can I just get a mono/stereo jack plate configured to do this or should I do two separate jacks? If I use just one side of a mono/stereo set up switched to stereo, will I be hurting the amp or the speakers?

Thanks for the quick response.
Quote by Sparkopath
So can I just get a mono/stereo jack plate configured to do this or should I do two separate jacks? If I use just one side of a mono/stereo set up switched to stereo, will I be hurting the amp or the speakers?

Thanks for the quick response.

I think there are jack plates already set up for this. Check with speakerhardware.com and see what he can do for you. He also stands by with advice for this kind of thing.

As long as the speakers are up to the task, and you're matching impedance, you'll be fine.

An aside: I've shared a 2x12 (stereo/mono) cabinet with another guitarist on a tiny stage (it was so small the drummer went to an electronic kit), with his amp running into one speaker, mine into the other. Worked well.
So this is what I have found other than Genuine Marshall parts.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-H700

That is the cheaper one but I am not sure it will work with my 8 ohm speakers. At least it doesn't list it that way.

http://www.mojotone.com/amp-parts/JacksJackPlates_1/OEM-Stereo-Mono-Cabinet-4x12-Wired-Jack-Plate-Double-1-4_2

This one is twice the price but I think will work too.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again for the help

dspellman, I am also picking up a Hotone nano amp to play around with. With the cab separated into stereo, I could hook an amp into each side and A/B them, lol. Might be fun...