Hello-

I've been playing a lot of acoustic guitar lately, and was looking in to buying an electric guitar, most likely an Epiphone s-339 because I love the semi-hollow body guitar sound. I would like to have a guitar that I could upgrade later if I continue to play. Would normal humbuckers sound good in a semi-hollow body guitar, or would there be too much sustain because of the resonance that comes from it being semi-hollow?

Thank you so much.

PS Do you guys think Gibson 490r and 498t humbuckers would sound good I'm the es-339? Any other recommendations?
~Jules
There isn't a gain in sustain due to body resonance; it's the other way around.
There may be an increase in feedback, however.

Your acoustic guitar should give you the clue. String energy passes into the body of the guitar, vibrates the top (and sides and bottom) of the guitar (resonance) and is thus used to move air causing sound from the guitar. Acoustic guitars thus don't have a lot of sustain. Instead, they have more attack and decay.

A solid body guitar with a dense body (such as a Les Paul) doesn't have a lot of resonance (you can hear the guitar, but at much lower levels) because string energy is staying in the string. The string thus sustains a note longer. If the string were completely unable to pass energy into the bridge and body, it would theoretically move forever, but in real life runs into losses from internal material friction and elasticity, air drag, magnetic flux from the pickups, etc.

A semi-hollow like the 339 series actually operates and sounds a lot closer to a chambered Les Paul than to your acoustic. There's not a lot of feedback generated and sustain is pretty good.
Quote by Julesiam
Would normal humbuckers sound good in a semi-hollow body guitar, or would there be too much sustain because of the resonance that comes from it being semi-hollow?

I apologise if I've misunderstood what you mean here, and that I'm maybe insulting your intelligence, but semi-hollows use "normal humbuckers" as standard.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?