Hi guys ! I recently was given the chance to make a custom build guitar but not by a manufacturer . If I was going to make a custom guitar these would be its specs :

-Not sure for its shape yet
-Floyd Rose Original R2
-HH (Black Winters)
-Mahogany body + maple neck and freatboard
-Schaller Non-Locking Tuners
-Common Wiring
-Set-neck Or neck-through
-Other-not-important

All the woods and woodwork would be free and total payment for the build
varies from 790 to 830 $ with professional work (hardware+fret placement and finish)

Would it worth ?
First of all, that is incredibly cheap for a custom made guitar. Where i come from, custom made guitars cost around 3500€.

But its like this. If you get a guitar made by a good professional luthier, then yes, its worth it. Because guitars like this are usually made from quality materials and atention is given to every detail, from finishing to electronics, and its all thourogly tested before you get it. I think that is pretty much the main advantage of custom made guitars like this. And its also why they are so expensive, because a lot of time and quality materials go into them.

But if you are getting the wood and woodworking for free, then i kinda doubt that the same level of care will be taken at those steps. The quality of wood is also gonna be in question, since its probably gonna be made from whatever scrap wood someone has lying around. Honestly, you can get a guitar with those exact specs for that price from pretty much any major guitar brand, especially if you go used. And you can always try it out and return it if you dont like it, but you cant really do that with a custom made guitar.

How come you are getting the wood and woodworking for free?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Well I would normal doubt about the quality of wood etc.
It's going to be a present for me from a relative of mine who is a professional woodworker for many years.
If you look at it in terms of money, chances are it will be a bad investment. If you look at it in terms of the experience of having your own custom guitar then it's a small price to pay. Be aware that it is very rare for a 1st guitar to turn out the way it was intended even if you are an experienced woodworker.
Not taking any online orders.
I apprenticed with a custom guitar builder and I agree with Gorkyporky that the price you are quoting is not even close to what a decent experienced guitar luthier would charge. It takes a lot experience to make a guitar that can meet professional tolerances and playablility without a lot of experience and specialized tools and machines. Good luck with it.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 23, 2016,
The best intentions and the world's greatest woodworker may still yield an inferior guitar if he's never built one before.
Granted, Brian May and his Dad built his first Red Special, so there are exceptions.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Hm... I have enough wood to spend all of my life and even if the first build isn't that good
I can use its hardware for another one ! 😉
Also bear in mind that all the hardware installation will be done by a professional guitar tec.
Last edited by DHF1234 at May 23, 2016,
Go for it. There is probably no better way to learn about guitar repair and upkeep than building one (or many).
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
good wood worker is not equal to good instrument builder (luthier)

musical instruments are different than a chair or clock or desk. i wouldn't think that an average wood worker could do an extraordinary job as far as fretwork goes. there are also to a degree different tools that are useful (if not necessary) he may not have. for example a radius block for the fretboard.

i have learned that i am OK with woodwork (not great... lol. but i can get by), but man do i suck at fretwork. but that is because i am not that experienced with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
not that it couldn't be done, but it's a hell of a goal to attempt a set neck or neck through on the first attempt.
Maybe consider building the guitars body and buying a neck for your first try. There is too much to learn about building a neck, inserting a truss rod properly, attaching a fret board, cutting and attaching a nut and many other neck related things. Just learning how to cut fret slots on a blank fret board and installing the frets properly takes a lot of knowledge and you'll need to invest in a quality fret saw, fret cutters, metal files, fret wire etc. just for that one part of the project.

Maybe just start with building the body, routing the pickup and control cavities, installing the tailpiece hardware and pickups, output jack, pick up switches, volume and tone pots, then take it all apart and do the finish work on the guitar. That is a huge project unto itself. Just buy a finished neck to start with. I admire anyone who undertakes a project like this as you will often find yourself saying; "What was I thinking?". But keep at it. Good luck.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.