Hi all,

I'm looking at trading in my old solid state amp and getting something nicer sounding, but much smaller, for playing in the bedroom/garage. I've had Kustom Quad DFX 100 for over ten years, and it was perfect for what I needed back then; something cheap that could keep up with live drums for playing punk/rock at parties and occasional bars. However, I don't really play live with anyone any more. I mostly jam/practice by myself in the garage, and the volume on my amp never gets above 2. I'm just using the amp for it's clean channel and get all my tones from a Vox stomp lab. I need to free up some space in the garage and think I could do with a small tube driven 8" or 10" combo rather than 100 watts of solid state and 2 x 12". In addition to saving some space, I'd get the benefit of real tube sound.

I've been looking at the Bugera v5 and have played it a few times at the local store. It certainly seems loud enough, and the clean tones I can get out of it sound better than what I'm getting with my amp at home. The over driven sounds seem fun and different, but even if I don't like them, I have the Vox stomp lab.

I see the Fender Champ 600 and Vox AC4 mini are both roughly the same wattage-wise and the same price, but I haven't seen either of those at the local store to try out. Also, I'm not sure if any of those are capable of cutting the wattage down. The Bugera can switch between 5W, 1W, and .1W, and from what I heard in the store, I'd probably use the 1W setting quite a bit at home.

I can listen to the Vox and Fender on youtube all day long, but it's kinda tough without having one in the store to try...

Any thoughts on these three choices? Any glaring reasons not to go with the Bugera? I've never owned a tube amp before, so any other things I should be looking at or watching out for?
just bear in mind that any 5 watter with no master volume will be LOUD if you want to get distortion out of the amp (i.e. without distortion pedals or multi-fx etc.) because you have to turn them up to make them distort. unless you're totally ok with using your stomp lab for dirt all the time, an amp with a master volume (even if its wattage is higher) is probably a better idea.

those 5 watters, though i like them, are a bit of a one-trick pony and they're often sold as being suitable for power tube distortion at bedroom volumes, and quite frankly they aren't, they're way louder than most people's idea of bedroom volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just bear in mind that any 5 watter with no master volume will be LOUD if you want to get distortion out of the amp (i.e. without distortion pedals or multi-fx etc.) because you have to turn them up to make them distort. unless you're totally ok with using your stomp lab for dirt all the time, an amp with a master volume (even if its wattage is higher) is probably a better idea.

those 5 watters, though i like them, are a bit of a one-trick pony and they're often sold as being suitable for power tube distortion at bedroom volumes, and quite frankly they aren't, they're way louder than most people's idea of bedroom volume.

Thanks for the response.

The Bugera V5 does actually have both a volume and a gain. That, plus the fact that you can switch it down to 1W, would seem to make it a better choice to getting a wider range of tones and distortion level at various volumes.

But, yes, when I initially tried it at the store, I came away thinking 5W was way too loud for a bedroom. After I saw it could be switched to 1W, I went back and tried and thought that volume sounded much more appropriate.
Last edited by malibu43 at May 23, 2016,
For the price of the AC4 Mini, you could probably find a used AC4TV with the 10" speaker.
Quote by malibu43
Thanks for the response.

The Bugera V5 does actually have both a volume and a gain. That, plus the fact that you can switch it down to 1W, would seem to make it a better choice to getting a wider range of tones and distortion level at various volumes.

But, yes, when I initially tried it at the store, I came away thinking 5W was way too loud for a bedroom. After I saw it could be switched to 1W, I went back and tried and thought that volume sounded much more appropriate.

yeah i thought maybe the bugera had a gain control, i wasn't sure. if it does it might be worth a try (though if it still only has one preamp tube it's not likely to have a ton of preamp distortion available). Even 1 watt is likely to be still too loud cranked (it sounds quieter in the music shop than in your bedroom, I've been caught out like that before ), but it should be a bit quieter than 5 watts all the same.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Bugera is a nice little amp, but even at 0.1W it is far too loud for using the tube distortion at 'bedroom'-volume, at least in a apartmenthouse.

To get the volume down, I changed the speaker to a Celestion Eight 15 16Ohm and now i can get slightly crunched sounds in bearable volume at 0.1W without my neighbours freaking out. (The Celestion also sounds better than the stock speaker in my opinion.)
For distortion/overdrive i still had to use some pedals.

Now I use the Bugera V5 only for clean warm sounds, which i like very much, for anything else i use a Vox Valvetronix with Mastervolume and a Hotone Purple Wind.
Quote by Alverall
The Bugera is a nice little amp, but even at 0.1W it is far too loud for using the tube distortion at 'bedroom'-volume, at least in a apartmenthouse.

To get the volume down, I changed the speaker to a Celestion Eight 15 16Ohm and now i can get slightly crunched sounds in bearable volume at 0.1W without my neighbours freaking out. (The Celestion also sounds better than the stock speaker in my opinion.)
For distortion/overdrive i still had to use some pedals.

Now I use the Bugera V5 only for clean warm sounds, which i like very much, for anything else i use a Vox Valvetronix with Mastervolume and a Hotone Purple Wind.

How does the V5 do with distortion/OD pedals? I plan on using the V5 for clean sounds, but will use my Tube Screamer and Vox Stomp lab for all my distortion and OD (run through the V5).
Quote by malibu43
How does the V5 do with distortion/OD pedals? I plan on using the V5 for clean sounds, but will use my Tube Screamer and Vox Stomp lab for all my distortion and OD (run through the V5).

I never tried a TS or a Stomp Lab, but I used the Bugera with the MXR Distortion+, MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion and the t-Rex Dual Drive and it worked great for my taste. Also the EHX Soul Food, the Carl Martin Plexitone and the Marshall Guv'nor sounds very well.
I didn't like the Digitech Screamin' Blues, the Digitech ToneDriver or the Ibanez PL-5 combined with the Bugera V5, it sounded too sterile and all the tube-feeling was gone.

To add something regarding the volume: with the 16Ohm speaker, which is felt much more quiet then the original speaker, I can't use more than Volume 2 at 0.1W (1.5 at 1 Watt) in my apartment when gain is all the way up at 10. Blues, Rock and even Hard Rock ist possible, but it isn't very workable because of the little volume range.

edit: I forget to mention, that I would buy the Bugera V5 again anytime, the clean sound ist great, it works great with many pedals and you can 'feel' the tubes while playing. A great package for little price and little space.
Last edited by Alverall at Jun 5, 2016,