Ok gang, I'm stepping up my desire for a pedalboard - I know everything I need to complete my setup (DD7/Flashback delay, Dreamscape chorus) but am stuck between 3 compressors.

This setup is mainly for blues/jazz/funk/rock playing (big John Mayer/Bonamassa fan), but will probably be used for some higher gain stuff that I gig frequently (eg Beat it) and Acoustic gigs also so it needs to be as versatile as possible. Max budget £150

Here are the contenders:
Seymour Duncan Vise Grip - seen very positive reviews, and prefered the demos I have heard, seems very versatile. Like the blend knob

Xotic SP - compact, seems equally as versatile as the Vise grip (again that blend knob is a +), although not sure if the benefit of the small size outweighs not having 4 controls easily accessible

Keeley 4 Knob Compressor - Mayer has used it, thought it was out of my price range, but have found a great deal on it (cheapest out of the 3 now), seems to be a good clean boost too, but not sure if it'd be as well versed for higher gain stuff (just an initial feeling)

Thoughts?
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Last edited by Shredx at May 23, 2016,
I've tried a few, and my favourite is the Boss LMB-3. I'm look for the kind of subtle squish it gives, not sustain, and it has what I consider to be sensible controls - Threshold and Ratio. The Enhance control is also useful for brightening up warm pickups.

Compressors can cause feedback problems with acoustics, been there , done that.
I gave up compressors in favour of a smaller amp a while ago, but the best i ever used were either the maxon cp101 optical compressor (transparent as f@#£ and the barber tone press (classy as f@#£. If pressed (HAHA) to make a decision i'd go with the tone press, as it's parallel with a blend knob, it can be as transparent, or as obvious as you'd like - noting the usual noise issues on compressors, although noise is kind of inherent to compressors, the barber is about as quiet as they come.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.
Last edited by DeviousByNature at May 23, 2016,
i have looked at them several times in the last while, i have hated all of the cheap ones.

my favorite is the diamond (but its pricey), for a little more dramatic is the wampler ego (again pricey), the only reasonably priced one i like i haven't been able to demo is the barber tone press.

i haven't tried the keeley though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have looked at them several times in the last while, i have hated all of the cheap ones.

my favorite is the diamond (but its pricey), for a little more dramatic is the wampler ego (again pricey), the only reasonably priced one i like i haven't been able to demo is the barber tone press.

i haven't tried the keeley though.

Yeah the diamond is just out of reach and a little large, same reason the keeley compressor pro isn't on my go to list. Wampler again just out of reach, and from the demos I've heard I preferred the keeley to it

Thanks for the input so far - I've discounted the acoustic factor now, and the vise grip so down to the keeley and xotic!
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
If you're interested in Diamond Comp, might want to give the Mooer Yellow Comp a try. It's a micro clone and it gets awesome reviews.
I love the blend knob on the Vise Grip. I wonder how I got along without it.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I really enjoy the MXR Dynacomp. It changes the tone but in a good way. Gives life to my playing both clean and dirty tones. I think that it is the single most useful pedal in my rig!
Update, I strangely found an old Boss CS-2 lying around in the depths of the attic along with a very battered Boss Flanger.

As I don't have any electric gigs booked where I'll need this in progress pedal board, I may just put up with the CS-2 for now. I did tonnes more research on the Keeley, Xotic, Vise Grip, (and the Suhr Koji comp came up too - I know adding another potential candidate, along with the jr Diamond), and didn't get closer to making a decision, so will resume my compressor hunt at a later date

Thanks guys, I'm sure I'll have other pedal related queries soon
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Faith Hi Gloss Venus