Hi all

I'm looking to cover myself when gigging in case my DSL40c takes a nose dive for some reason. I'm looking for a good second hand solid state head for classic rock that will work with my set up below if the need arose.

My current set up is the DSL40c combo sat on top of a Blackstar 1x12. Both speakers are 16ohm and are connected via 2 x 8ohm sockets on the DSL.

I play mainly pub gigs but sometimes a bit bigger so I'm assuming I'm going to need a head probably of at least 50w but preferably 100w with 1 x 16ohm socket but preferably 2 x 8 ohm sockets so I can make use of both 16 ohm speakers. Also an effects loop would be handy.

I do currently carry a spare Sovtek preamp tube and a couple of stock biased output tubes but am thinking now that it might be simpler just to plug in a solid state head.

Any suggestions please? Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Goochster at May 24, 2016,
Something from Randall or Peavey (old school vypr series).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I'd do a search for a Trademark 300 head from Tech21. Beautiful tones for classic rock.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Maybe try to look into one of those old school Marshall Mosfet Lead heads? (Basically a solid state version of a JCM 800 head, IIRC). They definitely sound way better than the MG stuff, and go for pretty cheap used.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Maybe try to look into one of those old school Marshall Mosfet Lead heads? (Basically a solid state version of a JCM 800 head, IIRC). They definitely sound way better than the MG stuff, and go for pretty cheap used.

+1

Also, Peavey Bandits of the Transtube era are quite good.
+1 for the quilter. I played a few at my local shop and they sound great for what your after and they are loud as hell
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
what is your budget? i know you said solid state. maybe a jet city amp? the 50h can be found really cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 on Quilter; also Carvin.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what is your budget? i know you said solid state. maybe a jet city amp? the 50h can be found really cheap.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks all for the responses. I don't really want to spend more than £100. Maybe £150 at at a push. After all this amp head is only going to be used in an emergency.

The Marshall Mosfet lead head sounds promising. I did take a look at the Valvestate 2000 head too. But I'm not sure whether there would be any impedance issues as I'd be plugging into 2 x 16 ohm speakers. So I need a head with 2 x 8 ohm outputs.

Just looked at the Jet City JCA50H. Good call!
Last edited by Goochster at May 25, 2016,
I might have to pick up one of those Quilters, I would have never thought a real solid state could come in that small of a package.
I personally haul around an old Peavey Heritage hybrid for my backup. It has a solid state preamp and it has a 4 6L6GC power amp in it. They're biased similarly to the 7027As in my main amp so if things ever really got bad and I had time to swap tubes I could.

I paid less than 50 bucks for the Peavey Heritage head.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by Goochster
Thanks all for the responses. I don't really want to spend more than £100. Maybe £150 at at a push. After all this amp head is only going to be used in an emergency.

The Marshall Mosfet lead head sounds promising. I did take a look at the Valvestate 2000 head too. But I'm not sure whether there would be any impedance issues as I'd be plugging into 2 x 16 ohm speakers. So I need a head with 2 x 8 ohm outputs.

Just looked at the Jet City JCA50H. Good call!

here is my $.02

why drop 150 quid on an amp you won't use (unless you have a problem), that will just get you by, when you can just spend another 100 quid and have something you can enjoy, and to record with (or hell maybe gig with).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
An old fender solid state and a cheap dirt box like a boss ds1 or an mxr prime if you can find one. An sd1 overdrive stacks well with the prime.
Are you just worried about tube failure? What about Retrovalves?
(Or something similar.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 26, 2016,
Peavey transtube. They sound good on the gain channel. The bandit is awesome but its a combo so its really heavy to use as a backup. Its solid state though so you could throw out the speaker and use the preamp out into a mixer ooor the ext cab out into an 8 ohm min. cab.
Quote by geo-rage
Peavey transtube. They sound good on the gain channel. The bandit is awesome but its a combo so its really heavy to use as a backup. Its solid state though so you could throw out the speaker and use the preamp out into a mixer ooor the ext cab out into an 8 ohm min. cab.

i didn't like the one i had.

as far as the preamp out into the mixer, you would need a cabinet sim or it would sound like shit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!