http://www.jacksonguitars.com/guitars/soloist/models/pro-series-soloist-sl2-ebony-fingerboard-midnight-blue/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-pro-soloist-sl2-electric-guitar

I'm buying a new guitar and I'm interested in the Jackson Pro Soloist SL2. I've never played a Jackson and It's about time I do. But what's strange to me is that when I look at the Specs of the SL2 they are different depending on the paint job?

Take the above links for example. MusiciansFriend lists the Body wood of all of the color variations as Nato.

While JacksonGuitars lists a different body wood for each color variation of the same guitar???

Satin Red is Mahogany
Metallic Black is Nato
Midnight Blue is Alder

Can Jackson not make up their mind or what?

The SL2's are Neck-through with Maple neck. I've had in mind an alder body but I wonder how much it will matter since it is neck through....

There is no music shop near so I'm gonna order a Jackson SL2 with a return policy in case I dislike it. It's either the jackson or an MH-1001 and the Jackson has an oiled neck and passives which is a big plus factor.
Jackson's website has never been very good at listing specs accurately. Which is pretty embarrassing for them.

fyi, 'nato' and 'mahogany' are terms often used interchangeably. The vast, vast majority of mass produced guitars that claim to be made from mahogany are actually made from meranti, nato and other substitutes. To call them mahogany is a misnomer because those trees share no biological relation to real mahoganies, but their physical and aesthetic characteristics are very similar. So a lot of companies that mass produce guitars get away with calling them the misnomer, while others give the more accurate name of the species.

Not that any of that really matters in terms of the quality of the guitar from an objective standpoint. But it's something to bear in mind if you're one to care.
The SL2's are Neck-through with Maple neck. I've had in mind an alder body but I wonder how much it will matter since it is neck through....

Little to none once you're amplified.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i wouldn't worry that much about body woods.

if john suhr is using alder and basswood i would imagine its suitable for me. lol.

my gibsons are mahogany (obvious) my fenders are alder and swamp ash, and my ibanez prestiges are basswood. all are great guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
That is odd. I would email them to confirm what wood they are using on the one you prefer. I'm also partial to alder, I've always though of alder/maple as classic specs for a Jackson.
Anyone know how accurate the pickup specs are? The Jackson site lists the Seymour Duncan Distortion Mahem set for all Pro Soloists, but then on most major music retailers, on most of the models, in text it lists the pickups as the JB and '59 but does not detail the actual specs/features. To add more to the confusion, some of the models it lists the JB and '59 in the text, and ALSO lists the Distortions in features-so which pickups are actually in it?

a pair of modern Seymour Duncan pickups drives this guitar’s versatile sound—a crisp JBTM TB4 humbucking bridge pickup and warm ‘59TM SH1N

Pickups
Configuration: HH
Neck: SH-6N Distortion
Middle: Not applicable
Bridge: T6-6 Distortion
Brand: Seymour Duncan

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson/Pro-Series-SL2Q-Soloist-Electric-Guitar.gc
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
I wish I knew. They use both sets, so you might just have to send them an email and ask. Specs change, and websites are not updated often, and there can be mistakes (obviously). I'd certainly want to know what pickups are in there- there is a huge tonal difference between those 2 sets.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i wouldn't worry that much about body woods.

if john suhr is using alder and basswood i would imagine its suitable for me. lol.

my gibsons are mahogany (obvious) my fenders are alder and swamp ash, and my ibanez prestiges are basswood. all are great guitars.

It's been mentioned that the term "mahogany" has covered for a lot of woods, some of which are the same species as "Honduras mahogany," some of which aren't even in the same family. Worth noting that within the past 10 years or so, Asia (specifically Fiji and Indonesia) have put a lot of swietania (real mahogany) on the market at good prices, so it's been pretty easy for a lot of manufacturers to use the real thing. Even within "Honduras mahogany" pieces, however, there's quite a bit of variation.

What hasn't been mentioned much is that a lot of other woods have been incorrectly called "basswood" by manufacturers, so basswood has gotten a mixed reputation as well. The higher end manufacturers are using real basswood, but the cheapest guitar builders may be using something else. It tends to be more uniform than a lot of other body woods, and it's very difficult to see grain on a lot of the better pieces.

Swamp Ash can really vary according to a lot of factors, including where each piece came from on a single tree. Because there's quite a bit of variance, it's a wood that benefits from selection. Elm is sometimes used instead of Swamp Ash (though rarely) but it's usually on upscale guitars rather than run of the mill production.It has a similar wide grain with areas of higher and lower density.

BTW, if you're going to try to listen to tonal differences in guitar woods, listen to the BACK of the guitar, not the front (unless you have a Floyd on the guitar, in which case it's not going to make as much of a difference anyway).
Last edited by dspellman at May 25, 2016,
Regarding the pickups, that's also something Jackson can best answer. But there's another factor here when it comes to the woods and pickups. Specs change over the years. A '16 SL2 may have slightly different specs than a '14 SL2. And plenty of retailers out there sell new old stock.
Just a little update: So the Jackson SL2 arrived today. It kicks a$$! The neck feels awesome (speed neck), the pickups are how I like them (not active and without a plastic piece around them), it plays very well and sounds very good. I'm very happy to have the sl2 over the ltd!! I haven't put the Floyd through any testing yet but I'm really liking this guitar!
Quote by dthmtl3
C'mon man. You're not going to tell us which color /wood you got?

Oh haha, Well gawd I love them all! but with my style and personality i prefer "none more black". So yea I got the metallic black which is apparently a Nato body. It is pretty sexy tbh.

And for more guitar p0rn, here's the JP6 BFR I couldn't afford to keep. I still cry missing it...
Last edited by ESPJohn at May 27, 2016,
I'd think I'd need a grief counsellor if I had to sell a JP6.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd think I'd need a grief counsellor if I had to sell a JP6.

Too right. That thing was perfect... A piece of my soul went with it :'''(
Quote by dthmtl3
Congrats. It's a beauty.

Thanks man. Yea Jackson makes a sick axe for sure!
Last edited by ESPJohn at May 28, 2016,