Lately every time i play guitar, within 5 minutes my hands start throbbing really bad around my knuckles and fingers .
any ideas on what to do about this? could it be from like a vitamin deficiency? Im only 20 so its pretty weird that my hands are doing this.
I recommend you see a doctor and get some nerve conduction studies done.

I have had surgery for nerve issues in my wrist and elbow...the longer you leave it the worse it gets
Having also had a nerve issue I would also say get to a doctor.
Throbbing can be one of the symptoms but, at the moment, it could be just bad technique trapping the nerve.

Anyways, see a doctor and if all is good then try to see an instructor to check you are doing something wrong in your technique.
Sometimes my fretting hand cramps up and hurts a little. It feels like I can't move my fingers.

Is this normal after playing guitar for ten years? It only happens rarely.
I suck at guitar
if this has occurred recently i'd suggest taking a little time away from the guitar, if your knuckles are potentially injured or inflamed, playing will only aggravate them. I suffered from this briefly and found that avoiding guitar for a time as well as other activities such a gaming or pc work did the trick.
iv played for more than 25 years and on again off again with the pains. It's use to plague my chords hand but now it sets to bother my strumming hand just as much if not more. im an original artist that plays in a band named creek don't rise. we have lengthy songs and i also run my own construction business and use vibrating tools all day everyday. I'm not stopping my day routine because its my craft and what helps me provide for my family. iv taken many vitamins and pain relievers but i'm here to tell you vitamins or drugs legal nor illegal work to easy the problem. when it decides to kick my ass that's what does but it makes me try harder to overcome the situation. don't let it beat you done. ROCK ON AND KEEP UP THE MUSE
Quote by chastainsmuse
iv played for more than 25 years and on again off again with the pains. It's use to plague my chords hand but now it sets to bother my strumming hand just as much if not more. im an original artist that plays in a band named creek don't rise. we have lengthy songs and i also run my own construction business and use vibrating tools all day everyday. I'm not stopping my day routine because its my craft and what helps me provide for my family. iv taken many vitamins and pain relievers but i'm here to tell you vitamins or drugs legal nor illegal work to easy the problem. when it decides to kick my ass that's what does but it makes me try harder to overcome the situation. don't let it beat you done. ROCK ON AND KEEP UP THE MUSE

so you are saying they should ignore the pain, play through it and take drugs?
Not sure that's the best advice
Muse suck.

I take shit loads of drugs and my fucking hand still hurts.
I suck at guitar
Are you just starting on the guitar? I mean are you a beginner or have you been playing for a while?
In any case, are you tensing your fingers too much? instead of relaxing. If you have a guitar teacher he might guide. If not check out Jamie Andreas guitar principals for stress free playing that avoids all the cramping that people do in their hands, fingers, thumb, t arms causing pains.

I had started to develop thumb pain when I started barre chords and followed Jamie's prinicpals for 2 months and have no pain anymore because I now know how I am using my fingers, arms etc. Awareness.

good luck
Sam
Quote by linda.catherine
Lately every time i play guitar, within 5 minutes my hands start throbbing really bad around my knuckles and fingers .
any ideas on what to do about this? could it be from like a vitamin deficiency? Im only 20 so its pretty weird that my hands are doing this.

I'd recommend taking a few days off from playing, maybe a week even, and then try playing again. If the pain returns schedule a doctor's appointment. After the doctor's treatment I'd recommend visiting a guitar instructor as well. Maybe he can show where you are stressing your wrists/fingers too much with poor technique. Assuming you don't have poor technique then you could have a serious medical issue.

Good luck.
Go see a doctor. Plain and simple. Regardless of what you think the cause of the pain might be, a doctor will probably be able to prove or disprove your suspicions. Yes, if it hurts while playing guitar and doesn't hurt while not playing, you can assume that your technique is causing it. But it may just be aggravating some other issue.

Always go see a doctor first. If they can't find anything significantly wrong, then come ask about issues with your technique.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Go see a doctor. Plain and simple. Regardless of what you think the cause of the pain might be, a doctor will probably be able to prove or disprove your suspicions. Yes, if it hurts while playing guitar and doesn't hurt while not playing, you can assume that your technique is causing it. But it may just be aggravating some other issue.

Always go see a doctor first. If they can't find anything significantly wrong, then come ask about issues with your technique.

Amen to that.
you might be holding your guitar wrong
it sounds stupid, but I have a friend who does this all the time (however he has only been playing for a year, as opposed to my eight years of playing)