I write left handed but play guitar right handed, and never thought about doing it any other way. Any other lefties here to that route too?

For me it makes more sense to have the hand with better control on the neck. Although I didn't think about that when I started, I just grabbed a right hand guitar and never looked back.

I'm still not questioning that decision, I'm just curious how many other lefties play right.
Not myself, but I have a couple of friends who write left handed but play guitar right handed. Also swing a golf club or tennis racket right handed as well. Y'all just freaks of nature!

Also this funny guy claims to be a leftie, and he's one of the worlds finest, so you're in good hands!

https://youtu.be/gLRDi4Hm9mQ
I'm right-handed, but I've been interested in this for a while.

One factor that might be important is degree of handedness, which goes from ambidextrous to strong. Strong can be either strong left or strong right, and doesn't imply physical strength, but manipulative skills. There is also mixed-handed, where someone does some "strong hand" tasks with one hand, some with the other. You might be weak-handed or mixed-handed.

I think that in evolutionary terms, tasking was shared between the two hands, so that the weak hand held things (eg fretting) while the strong hand manipulated them (eg picking).

While to me it is counter-intuitive, it seems that strongly left-handed people aren't seriously handicapped in having to play instruments designed for right handers, eg pianists, concert violinists.

Also there are also two kinds of left-handed players, those who use a guitar that is made or set up left-handed, eg Jimi Hendrix, and those that play a right-handed guitar upside down, eg Elizabeth Cotten. There aren't many of the second kind, but it makes for interesting stylistic differences.
Last edited by Tony Done at May 25, 2016,
Quote by mdc
Not myself, but I have a couple of friends who write left handed but play guitar right handed. Also swing a golf club or tennis racket right handed as well. Y'all just freaks of nature!

I've swung baseball and golf left, but did tennis right. So I really am a freak of nature. (Although I wasn't that good at tennis)

That's quite an interesting guitar he has.
Last edited by Raccoon1400 at May 25, 2016,
I actually started teaching a girl and helped her pick out a guitar. During her first recital, her parents said, "Did we forget to mention she's lefty?" Blew my mind. She said she wouldn't like flipping it. Thought it was feel weird.

Joe Strummer of the Clash played right handed, but was a lefty... That's all the evidence that I need that it works!
Try adding more delay.
Quote by Raccoon1400
I write left handed but play guitar right handed

I do that too. I write and throw with my left, but I do everything else right handed (and footed). I tried playing guitar left handed and it felt really odd. Maybe it's got to do with fine motor skills? You know, more skill in the left hand for writing and fretting the guitar.
Quote by pressureproject
Here's one....

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought of this joke. saved me from having to photoshop che guevara's face on javier reyes
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought of this joke. saved me from having to photoshop che guevara's face on javier reyes

I can't claim credit for the pic. 'Twas already photoshopped.
Josh Middleton of Sylosis actually did a vid about this
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
Regarding this, are there any guitarists who can play both right and left handed? curious.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
I'm left handed but before starting to learn someone gave me the advice to learn a right hand anyway because a left handed guitar might cause inconvenience when performing, may be more expensive and harder to find.

I think it was a good advice and I'm glad I took it.

Truth is you play guitar with both hands, and above all with your mind. I don't think being left handed playing a right handed guitar ever hurt my playing.
Quote by telecastrmastr
I actually started teaching a girl and helped her pick out a guitar. During her first recital, her parents said, "Did we forget to mention she's lefty?" Blew my mind. She said she wouldn't like flipping it. Thought it was feel weird.

Joe Strummer of the Clash played right handed, but was a lefty... That's all the evidence that I need that it works!

more evidence ted greene ...
play well

wolf
Quote by intwernet
Regarding this, are there any guitarists who can play both right and left handed? curious.

Dave Kilminster and MAB.

The former is an inspiration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Kilminster

Yeah it's pretty important to do what feels comfortable rather than trying to adjust to a standard idea. I couldn't tell when I first picked up a guitar, but my dad corrected me. It wasn't until a few years later that I realized that I could have been right to hold it the other way, but everything worked out so its fine.
Quote by mdc

Well, if hat's weird, I am right-handed (from writing and guitar to everything involving hand dominance), but on the rare occasions that I play baseball, I bat in a "lefties stance."
Skip the username, call me Billy
I´m strongly left handed for most things, but when I held a guitar for the first time, I couldn´t understand why right handed people used it that way, it was way easier and more comfortable. Now, the only thing that bugs me, its that I´m pretty lame with my picking hand (right), but I think i´m very good at legato stuff. I´ve always wondered if that is because of the way I play as a rightie...
Quote by Tony Done
those that play a right-handed guitar upside down, eg Elizabeth Cotten. There aren't many of the second kind, but it makes for interesting stylistic differences.

There are some real greats who did, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKY8KIt9kqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRJqyuTaCI

There's also Hisashi Imai of Buck-Tick who, while right-handed, decided he preferred playing left-handed when he started out. Go figure.
I'm left handed but play rightie. I started playing the upside down right handed guitar leftie in a time that left handed guitars were rare hard to find. after about a year of that I said fuck this and started from scratch playing right handed. good decision. much easier for me to do fingerings and I didn't have much of an issue learning to pick. even basic fingerpicking hasn't been a real issue (complex stuff I've never really tried).

left handed people are forced to learn to use the right hand to some degree which kinda puts us at an advantage. most right handers I know can't do diddly with the left hand.
Doyle Bramhall ll is another one. He is actually a lefty, but the the guitar is strung as a normal right handed guitar. So he always pulls the high strings downwards when bending.
I'm left handed playing right handed - and not for any particular reason, I was just a kid who picked up a guitar and played it that way around because that's how everyone else around me was doing it.

I wouldn't know if there's necessarily any advantage or disadvantage in terms of playing, I think you just learn whichever way you learn and either hand can adapt accordingly regardless of which one is dominant, but it must be frustrating trying to track down a good left handed guitar...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.