Hi everyone, this is Simon Revill. I’m a full time guitar teacher and transcriber from the UK and I’m a new member to this forum. As well as saying a big hello to you all, I’m hoping to get your help with something.

I’ve just launched my brand new website, dedicated to heavy metal guitar playing. I’m currently in the process of doing research for a metal rhythm guitar guide that I’ll be posting on my site. This is a subject I have a lot of experience with as I’ve been playing for over 20 years and it’s the kind of music that I’m best at.

My idea is to produce a free guide that will cover all of main aspects of playing rhythm guitar in the heavy metal style. I’ll be looking at the basic techniques of palm muting, power chords, alternate picking, gallop rhythms, triplets, etc. all the way through to more advanced concepts like drop tunings, key changes, compound time signatures and using the modes of the minor scales.

I want to make this guide the best I possibly can and I know that doing thorough research beforehand will allow me to do this. My guide will be simple to understand but will go deep enough to help more advanced players too. It will have high quality notation and tab, graphics, as well as plenty of audio demos to play along with. I will probably do some video to go along with it for any physical demonstrations I need to do for the content.

This way someone who has no previous experience but wants to play heavy metal in the style of Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth etc. as well as more recent bands like Lamb Of God & Killswitch Engage, will have all of the information they need to get started and can use it for reference. My other aim is to fill in the blanks for someone who is already experienced in playing but wants to develop their further by improving their knowledge of theory and applying it to their playing, plus anything else they may not have studied before.

As you can imagine, I’ve got a lot of ideas already. However, it’s really important to me to get a good idea of what questions new and intermediate players have about the subject. If you or anyone else has any ideas or questions they would like to ask me about playing metal rhythm guitar then please post it here and I promise to give you the best answer I can. And perhaps more importantly, I will collect your questions and any other important subjects raised to use as potential material for my guide.

If you don’t have a question but would like to suggest areas of study that I should cover in my guide, I’d love to hear from you too. Everything and anything is welcome and I will read everything that is posted.

If you can take part, I’d really appreciate it. I look forward to any questions you may have.

Thanks!