What do you like/dislike?

Personally, I haven't had a chance to play any recently, but I remember they were OK. A friend bought a Peavey bass and that thing was ugly but had a great tone.

Looking that Peavey are made in USA it is weird to see how low in price these go online.
I've tried a few over the years. Those that I have seemed to be well made and sound nice. But, like you, I never warmed up to their visual aesthetics.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Old USA made Peavey's are nice guitars and really cheap used (except for the Wolfgang models). Most if not all of Peavey's new guitars are not made in the USA though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've played an old T60. It was a cool guitar, it played reasonably well, sounded good. Definitely still rough around the edges as most Peavey products are, but more than solid for the price.

^Yeah Wolfgangs go for silly prices.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
USA Peaveys could be fine, don´t know, didn´t have or try any. But forget the recent production from Far East, that´ C.R.A.P. !!!!
I had a Peavey Grind 6-string bass made in Vietnam and it was OK in terms of tone, BUT: it was almost impossible to set the neck up properly (despite two trus rods), the ground in the electronics was kinda bad (I´m not a tech, but you know, dat buzzzz....), the pots were extremely cheap and made crackling noises since new, one of the tuners broke off when I first changed the strings.... I barely got rid of dat bass.
Then, a couple of years later, I bought a Riptide Telecaster-like guitar, made in I don´t even remember in which part of the southeastern jungle. And I returned it the next day. Again: impossible to set up the neck, action either too high or fret buzz too strong, plus the finish looked like a paint, that dries too fast on the sun and gets cracks on the surface because of that.
I don´t know, maybe I was just extremely unlucky, but since then I´m sure: if I ever lay my hands on a Peavey guitar again, itś gotta be US made.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
I had a white Peavey Rotor EXP a long time ago. Sweet guitar but I grew out of all the spikes and weird cuts so I sold it off. Sounded pretty cool. I ran it with Mustaine Livewires.

Pretty sure it was probably an import guitar but it was decent.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've accumulated 6 USA Peavey's so far and they're some of my very favorites to play. I'm especially partial to the Super Ferrite pickups on the short-scale T-15 and the blades on my T-25 and T-30. Being able to smoothly roll between single-coil and humbuckers on the T-25 and T-60 gives a lot of versatility. I also managed to find a P-90 Firenza that is an outstanding guitar to play. Overall, I'm a huge USA Peavey fan. I've never tried any of the Peavey imports, so I can't speak to what they're like.

Prices are definitely heading north, especially on the T-60's. USA Predators are a solid strat-style that can still be had for good prices. And as mentioned before, Wolfgang's are getting out of sight.
They seem pretty thin to find, but I've played a cheapo EXP V-Type. Aesthetics are a bit... unique, I guess? But was very decent for a cheap guitar with a nice feel and a very good sound.
Quote by Airfish
USA Peaveys could be fine, don´t know, didn´t have or try any. But forget the recent production from Far East, that´ C.R.A.P. !!!!
I had a Peavey Grind 6-string bass made in Vietnam and it was OK in terms of tone, BUT: it was almost impossible to set the neck up properly (despite two trus rods), the ground in the electronics was kinda bad (I´m not a tech, but you know, dat buzzzz....), the pots were extremely cheap and made crackling noises since new, one of the tuners broke off when I first changed the strings.... I barely got rid of dat bass.
Then, a couple of years later, I bought a Riptide Telecaster-like guitar, made in I don´t even remember in which part of the southeastern jungle. And I returned it the next day. Again: impossible to set up the neck, action either too high or fret buzz too strong, plus the finish looked like a paint, that dries too fast on the sun and gets cracks on the surface because of that.
I don´t know, maybe I was just extremely unlucky, but since then I´m sure: if I ever lay my hands on a Peavey guitar again, itś gotta be US made.

Had similar experience with Ibanez Indonesian basses - I returned 3 and moved on the Sterling Ray35, which incidentally was also made in Indonesia but without any of the issues on the Ibanez. Weird...

One of the few Peavey guitars I've tried was the EVH sig., along with 5150 combo at the time, early '92 probably. At that time I didn't like either, but I can't say I liked the Music Man EVH sig. either.
Last edited by diabolical at May 26, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
Had similar experience with Ibanez Indonesian basses - I returned 3 and moved on the Sterling Ray35, which incidentally was also made in Indonesia but without any of the issues on the Ibanez. Weird...

One of the few Peavey guitars I've tried was the EVH sig., along with 5150 combo at the time, early '92 probably. At that time I didn't like either, but I can't say I liked the Music Man EVH sig. either.

The EVH sigs are all kind of weird to play... In theory they ought to be amazing, but I also don't care for the ones I've played. They look cool, the sound pretty good, but I prefer other models like my Silhouette or the EBMM Lukes.

I REALLY want a Steve Morse sig...
agree some of the US made ones especially from the 80s were pretty decent guitars. aside from the wolfgang the Adrian Vandenberg sig was really nice and some of the Nitro series were good as well. they made a decent strat cipy as well on the lower end of things.

none are made in the US anymore and the few I've tried have been less than steller. they still make a couple of basses that I thought weren't bad though.
Quote by diabolical
The Lukes and Silhouettes are amazing, I missed both when GC was blowing them away for under $800 few years ago, something that I now regret.
I got a MM Steve Morse that will probably be the last guitar I'd sell.

So Jelly!!! Those things are fucking hot.
My favourite electric is a Peavey Raptor Plus Exp that I got from the local hock shop for Oz$65. It was in excellent condition, good neck, frets and hardware, and it only weighs about 5 1/4lb. The only mods I've done I've are change the saddles for pressed steel and alter the headstock. The original was too phallic for my tastes:

I'm really fussy about the string-to-string balance of pickups, and was expecting not to like the stock ones (hot ceramics, 1/4"slugs), but they well-balanced across the strings and good-sounding in a P90-ish way. Note that this is the Vietnamese version. I've had the same MIC model, it was much heavier and the workmanship on the neck was rough.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I've played an old T60. It was a cool guitar, it played reasonably well, sounded good. Definitely still rough around the edges as most Peavey products are, but more than solid for the price.

^Yeah Wolfgangs go for silly prices.

I used to play a friend's T60 downtown in his rowhouse on Friday nights. That was a great guitar.
The USA Peaveys are surprisingly good guitars at a bargain basement price and I expect they will appreciate in value over time (due to the "Made in USA" provenance if nothing else...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I love my USA wolfgang. Brilliant fucking guitar.

I recently sold a USA Horizon for $450 that I paid $40 for a few years ago. Lol.

I had an import wolfgang for a short time, it was junk compared to the USA models. I couldn't get it sold fast enough (ok I had it for a year) but i hardly played it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/