From personal experience... I do not play live.

I record and release music independently, and support myself by doing regular full time jobs.

I was wondering, from the perspective of musicians who play live on a regular basis...

Is the whole hearing damage thing true... or is it just a myth?

I've heard both sides... that if you play live, your hearing will get destroyed over time, no matter how much ear protection you use.

Also I've heard that if you use proper ear protection, playing live semi-regularly is an option if you are careful.

I think most musicians agree that their hearing and aural talent is probably their most valuable asset when it comes to music and trying to make money from it. I feel bad for those talented musicians who lost hearing and aural ability because they were not careful.
If you play loud without hearing protection you will get hearing loss, that's just it. If you wear good ear protection you're just fine.

My most valuable asset is the ability to get free beer from my playing.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
If you play loud without hearing protection you will get hearing loss, that's just it. If you wear good ear protection you're just fine.

My most valuable asset is the ability to get free beer from my playing.

Free Beer is always nice

I think live playing is something extroverts would enjoy more.

I am extremely introverted (MBTI Type, INTP) and so I just don't "do" crowds, unless I've had the chance to prepare myself for it ahead of time.

When it comes to actually making money and supporting myself, I work alone.
With proper hearing protection you can play live indefinitely without suffering any hearing loss, it's no different than any other profession with a high noise threshold.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have been playing live for more than 40 years and yes it has severely effected my hearing. I also worked as a printing press operator for 12 years and that had a pretty big effect on my hearing. Coincidently my daughter is finishing her Masters degree in Speech and Audiology Pathology (speech and hearing). She tells me studies show that using headphones at loud volumes or listening to loud music in confined areas (like cars) will cause as much damage as the loud bands I have played in for all these years and will do it faster and more permanently. You can't win.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Would wearing noise canceling head phones stop hearing loss or actually make it worse?