Does having to use headphones make you more or less likely to practice?

Poll: Are you more or Less likely to practice if you have to use headphones?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are you more or Less likely to practice if you have to use headphones?
I will practice more if I have to use headphones
0 0%
I will practice less if I have to use headphones
7 41%
No difference, practice is practice.
10 59%
Voters: 17.
Was thinking about this the other day and was wondering your thoughts. I find myself less likely to practice if I have to use headphones. They get really uncomfortable after awhile. (maybe I need new headphones?)
Last edited by bass.desires at May 26, 2016,
Practice is practice.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i would practice less if i couldn't use headphones.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020 at #33984520
i would practice less if i couldn't use headphones.

Yeah if I'm playing at 2 in the morning, I'd rather not turn my amp on and wake all the neighbors up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Get headphones that are lightweight and don't rest directly on your ear, but rather around it. Avoid the ones that isolate ( i.e. block sound) as they tend to be heavier and they get uncomfortable much more quickly.

Sennheiser and Audio technica have a ton of different models for every situation. I've personally used the Audio technica ATH 700 ( Open Air ) - they were great and I currently use the Sennhesier HD 580 - also great.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Yeah if I'm playing at 2 in the morning, I'd rather not turn my amp on and wake all the neighbors up.

i'm more worried about the people i'd wake up in my place.
Quote by gregs1020
i'm more worried about the people i'd wake up in my place.

That too
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by bass.desires
I find myself less likely to practice if I have to use headphones. They get really uncomfortable after awhile. (maybe I need new headphones?)

yes, get better headphones. there's a lot of good options in the $99 range, imo. i have a set of shure and samsons. both super cheap, both really comfortable.

i agree with what reverb posted about the Sennheiser and Audio technica gear, but i haven't tried that model of ATs.

good luck in your journey.
As if I practice at all.

That would ruin my mediocrity.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Hey....do they make headphones that plug in directly to the guitar? That would be cool.

Just bought a new acoustic/electric. I never play plugged in (just checked it out on my old Epiphone 10 watt practice amp), but would be interested in headphones if they plug directly into the guitar cable output.
Quote by TobusRex at #33984699
Hey....do they make headphones that plug in directly to the guitar? That would be cool.

Just bought a new acoustic/electric. I never play plugged in (just checked it out on my old Epiphone 10 watt practice amp), but would be interested in headphones if they plug directly into the guitar cable output.

As close as you can probably get.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by slapsymcdougal
As if I practice at all.

That would ruin my mediocrity.

What type music do you play slapsy? I bet you probably play lead guitar in your local church, am I right?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

As close as you can probably get.

Thanks man, I'll check it out.
I'm quite sure there is no corellation between practice hours and headphone possession
Quote by TobusRex
What type music do you play slapsy? I bet you probably play lead guitar in your local church, am I right?

Actually I play a theremin through a ring modulator in my local church's Hawkwind tribute band.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Actually I play a theremin through a ring modulator in my local church's Hawkwind tribute band.

Awesome visual here. Plus I'm picturing you in red tartan kilt.. A kilt too short with some unshorn, unsightly mishapen but large testes peeking through the threadbare material. Wearing a mustard stained, white T- shirt with "Sean Connery" for Prez on it.

Just to wipe that ugly, ugly thought from our minds.....some offkey singing and cool archtop guitars....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEhj-rQSAU
I only play with headphones if I'm tracking
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by TobusRex
Awesome visual here. Plus I'm picturing you in red tartan kilt.. A kilt too short with some unshorn, unsightly mishapen but large testes peeking through the threadbare material. Wearing a mustard stained, white T- shirt with "Sean Connery" for Prez on it.

Just to wipe that ugly, ugly thought from our minds.....some offkey singing and cool archtop guitars....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qEhj-rQSAU

Keep up wi' that pish and the news the morra is gonnae be a' aboot your chibbin'.
Quote by Diemon Dave

has never made a difference for me
if i have to practice in a crowded environment, parents house, firends house, etc
then i'll pop on the headphones and direct input into my amp or speakers

sometimes practicing with headphones can be beneficial, but i prefer hearing what my amp is capable of, and you can hear the mistakes in your playing / technique when listening in a room
but the same goes vice-versa with headphones

really doesn't make any difference to me, besides the fact that one will disturb others and the other wont at all.
also depends on the headphones im using.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by TobusRex

I can't tell you how much that made me laugh, only because of the truth behind it......

As a church musician myself I know the feels...and the ear bleeds.
Used to play without heaphones all the time, got the cops called on me hahaha

But now I prefer headphones because I can hear every little detail in my playing tecnique, good or bad, it's better for practice and tracking for me, even if it sounds better on speakers.
I don't bother practicing with an amp most of the time and I don't play late at night so I never need to used headphones when practicing.

But I have done it a couple of times before and it was annoying.

Quote by whywefight
if your amp has a headphone jack then the tone will probably give you a headache in about three and a half minutes

More like one second
I have nothing important to say
I bought a pair of studio monitoring headphones a few years ago that I always wear as ear protection whenever I practice, unless I'm playing my acoustic, so I already wear headphones when I practice. Protecting your ears is important.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
I bought a pair of studio monitoring headphones a few years ago that I always wear as ear protection whenever I practice, unless I'm playing my acoustic, so I already wear headphones when I practice. Protecting your ears is important.

Sometimes I sound pretty bad, but never so bad I was afraid I was going to damage my ears!!
I mainly stick to acoustics, so if its 3am and everyone is asleep but me, the dreadnought is gonna wake people up!