I posted a thread awhile back soliciting opinions on what guitar to get. Can't find that thread or I'd necro it up in a second, but felt I should give you guys feedback on what I got.

I stated that I was flush with money (tax refunds, overtime money, etc) and was going to buy a really good dreadnaught and the candidates were Rainsong and a few others.

The guitar I bought was the Composite Acoustics Legacy. It cost me $1600 out the door (including taxes and a really nice hardshell case). It has the same playability as my Cargo except I have to be standing up (or in a high chair...Dreads are so awkward when sitting low). I was shocked at how well it worked when I put a strap on it and stood up. Really nice to play on. I think I could play rhythm in a band now, lol. It's carbon fiber so weather concerns aren't, well, a concern. Really weird thing: after I bought it, and I mean while it was being rung up by the cashier, Peavey called the dealer. Somehow me buying that guitar was significant to somebody. I'm guessing that somebody at the store texted somebody there (hoping Peavey isn't putting tracking devices on their gits!

No, that's not me in the video. That's some ugly dude. I'm a handsome guy and a much, much better guitar player.

http://www.compositeacoustics.com/index.cfm/guitars/the-legacy/the-legacy:-high-gloss/carbon-burst-with-electronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-IGWFCJ-2s
Last edited by TobusRex at May 26, 2016,
Quote by Garthman
Great! Congratulations - hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Thanks! I've put away my Cargo for the time being, going to force myself to get used to playing this dreadnaught. Standing up to play is not as different as I thought it would be, but I'm lacking some of the finer control I have when sitting. It has a weird effect on my attitude though...makes me feel more "showy", lol.

I've got to study dreadnaughts and proper posture, I have a bugger of a time with this guitar when sitting low (I have low couches). When I turn it up lapstyle I have pretty good control though, but fretting is different.

It's going to be fun learning this new guitar I think. It's pretty in a subdued way also. I couldn't resist the price on it, about $1000 less than the Rainsong, but I think the Rainsong was a little more comfy.
Nice choice. I keep thinking about getting a carbon fibre guitar. Apart from anything else, it shouldn't have the long term stability issues of a wood guitar. I liked a Rainsong I tried, and a deep bowl Adamas I played soon after then came out was pretty memorable, rich and dark like good chocolate.

In general, I'm very much in favour of using synthetic materials for musical instruments.
Last edited by Tony Done at May 26, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
Nice choice. I keep thinking about getting a carbon fibre guitar. Apart from anything else, it should have the long term stability issues of a wood guitar. I liked a Rainsong I tried, and a deep bowl Adamas I played soon after then came out was pretty memorable, rich and dark like good chocolate.

In general, I'm very much in favour of useng synthetic materials for musical instruments.

Thanks Tony. I was interested in a different Composite Acoustics model but couldn't find it anywhere. I considered Rainsong as well. Those Black Ice models are gorgeous, but they are so expensive. They play so well too, but that's another grand beyond what I spent.

Emerald makes some interesting guitars as well. The X20 interests me, in particular, plus they can mod the guitar, so essentially all models are custom made.
congrats on your new axe!

i sold my cargo, but it was a super nice guitar, and the larger ones have a little more beef.

not a fan of emeralds - the ones i tried had less bass than other similar guitar, so sounded thinner, not my thing.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by TobusRex
I posted a thread awhile back soliciting opinions on what guitar to get. Can't find that thread or I'd necro it up in a second, but felt I should give you guys feedback on what I got. ...[ ]...
You can't find your own thread, really? I found it rather quickly, as I wanted to tell you, "I told you so, and I told you to buy another carbon fiber guitar". This is back when you were going through your "Luna Phase". https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1701862 and also when you were going through your, "money burns a hole in my pocket, and he who dies with the most guitar toys wins", phase". https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1698825

In any case, there's nothing too incredibly bad about slouching when playing sitting down. More often than not I find myself staring into the sound hole of whichever acoustic I happen to be holding. It's not a great idea, but not the end of the world either. OTOH, if you want to play something clean, accurate, or fast, sitting up straight might not be a bad idea.

I like to play thin body guitars standing up, and big acoustics sitting down. The issue there is, you can really bash the shit out of your hand doing windmills with a J-200, as opposed to a Les Paul or something like that. The whole "swerve to avoid running into the guitar with your hand while experiencing the whole, "paranoid delusions of Who-hood" thing, is quite a PiTA.

In any case, Walmart or Ikea should be able to rapidly hook you up with a bar stool, fairly cheaply. Yes, I know you have Prime.So what? Hit Ikea anyway. Buy yourself some stinky candles, fire them up, and play some Dylan. It'll be like visiting the 60's, aroma therapy and all. Imagine a group of hot hippie chicks sitting around you asking, "holy shit man, what kind of guitar is that"? Tell them you came there in a time machine. That should get you laid for sure...

So, without further ado, "Happy New Guitar Day"!
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 28, 2016,
I really like the sound of this guitar. It has a bright sound to it but also has enough base. I admit I haven't heard of these types of guitars, but so far I have just shopped at Guitar Center for a new one. Great guitar, thanks for posing about it. Congratulations on an exciting new purchase
@Patti, Teresa, and Cranky: thanks much!

@ Cranky: one of these days I need to learn how to search posts on here! I actually had full intent to go with some cheaper models like you earlier suggested. I decided to pick up the PR-150 if they still had it and a 12 string Godin, but when I got to the store the Epiphone had been sold already and the guitar I ending up buying caught my eye. I was eyeballing some other gear from Epiphone as well, including the LP Studio electric and the EJ-200 (and the J-45 model I think).

My couches are low sitters. It makes for an awkward position to play a big guitar so I've been playing standing up using a strap with the new guitar, but after a couple days of playing standing up...I'm getting the hang of it. It sure is heavier than my other acoustics though. My back got a little sore from it.
Quote by TobusRex
@Patti, Teresa, and Cranky: thanks much!
You're welcome

Quote by TobusRex
@ Cranky: one of these days I need to learn how to search posts on here! I actually had full intent to go with some cheaper models like you earlier suggested. I decided to pick up the PR-150 if they still had it and a 12 string Godin, but when I got to the store the Epiphone had been sold already and the guitar I ending up buying caught my eye. I was eyeballing some other gear from Epiphone as well, including the LP Studio electric and the EJ-200 (and the J-45 model I think).
I think you'll be quite happy with this guitar. If you fell in love with it, you'd be playing it more than the other four you could have bought along with it combined.

As for searching your posts, "all posts by TobusRex, &, " all threads by TobusRex", are under your name, and directly above the "Gear Info" box, in the left column of your "Profile Page". I'm not surer how you could miss them, but I'll concede it just as well might be an honest mistake...

Quote by TobusRex
My couches are low sitters. It makes for an awkward position to play a big guitar so I've been playing standing up using a strap with the new guitar, but after a couple days of playing standing up...I'm getting the hang of it. It sure is heavier than my other acoustics though. My back got a little sore from it.
Yeah, that could be a problem. I have a recliner which is potentially worse, due to the fact your neck hand is going to collide with the arm.

I have sort of an industrial cafeteria chair, (fiberglass seat, thin chrome tubing, (rod maybe?), construction. That works as well as a bar stool, possibly better. What you really need to do, is find, or design and build a footstool, specifically for your measurements, which raises your leg under the guitar's waist, and prevents it from sliding down your leg. If your leg is at an angle which places the knee lower than the rest of the upper leg, that's where the guitar starts to slide down you leg. Enter the footstool! Raise the knee, problem solved. FWIW it worth, I think big body guitars force you to slouch when you play them standing up. You tend to wrap yourself forward around them.

Simple chair, with no arms, and a footstool made specifically for you, give it some serious consideration. I think I've seen some panto-graph adjustable footstools, but I could have been hallucinating, which tends to happen with me from time to time...(What can I say)? In any case, you can even have the "step plate" tilted a bit, (lower toward you higher going away. That places your foot at the correct angle to your lower leg for maximum comfort. (Rather than extending your leg to foot angle beyond 90 degrees).
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 28, 2016,
Comfortable armless chair with footstool (depending on your playing style/posture) is a necessity

When are we gonna see some pics??

I don't believe I've ever played a composite guitar, Ovations from 10 years ago notwithstanding.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Comfortable armless chair with footstool (depending on your playing style/posture) is a necessity

When are we gonna see some pics??

I don't believe I've ever played a composite guitar, Ovations from 10 years ago notwithstanding.

Maybe I'll dig out the digital recorder and try to pick something and post it here. I'm pretty shitty though, lol.

You should try to find a carbon fiber guitar to play. I think you'll like them.
Last edited by TobusRex at May 29, 2016,
Loved my Adamas Cf guitar. once I get my left hand up and running again, I believe i'll find another Carbon fiber guitar. enjoy the hell out of that lovely beast !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)