I'm new to wiring (specifically super-switches) and am at the very beginning phase of a build, i'm going to start by testing my pickup config/wiring in a strat (it's easy to do surgery on a pickguard and my strat is "boat" routed). Wanted to see if anyone can take a look at the wiring diagram and confirm that it should work (and share the idea with any like-minded gear heads of course.)

The idea is to merge a typical HH superstrat with the neck position of a Strat (HHS). By using a 21 or 22 fret guitar I can potentially locate a neck humbucker close enough to where it would lie on a 24 fret guitar to retain a real neck humbucker feel without giving up my favorite 4 & 5 strat positions (i've tried a number of split HBs but it's never quite right)

I plan on messing with the position of the "neck/middle)" humbucker in an expendable pickguard to figure out how the proximity to the neck SC pickup impacts both it's and the neck pickups tone, in theory on a 22 fret neck i can put the neck single coil in the normal position and place a humbucker in a fairly similar placement to where it would be on a 24 fret guitar. Ideally I will get some happy medium where i can get a good shreddy JP "neck" humbucker tone as well as a strat 5th & 4th position through some trial and error on the neck humbucker placement.

HSS Custom Wiring

The diagram above is what I've come up with with the intention of the following:

1 Vol 1 Tone each 500k

Position 1: Normal Bridge Humbucker
Position 2: (Tele-like) Split Bridge North Coil with Neck Single (HC) and a 1000 ohm resistor in parallel to the pots to simulate 250k pots
Position 3: (4th pos strat)Split Neck North coil with Neck Single (HC) Split Bridge North Coil with Neck Single (HC) with same 1000 ohm resistor
Position 4: Neck Single Alone with 1000 ohm resistor
Position 5: Neck Humbucker

The 6 squares at the bottom are a (poorly labeled) DPDT, that will ground out the south coil of the bridge pickup to give the split bridge HB alone in position 1, and also add in the 1k resistor if it's not already in parallel in the circuit. A small oddity here is that the resistor will still be active if the neck HB is selected and the bridge is split, oh well.

Perhaps a bit ambitious for my first build but hey, if someone already made a guitar like this... i'd just buy it!

(P.S. I know i'm not the first to come up with the idea of a HHS setup.)
Last edited by dmagruder at May 26, 2016,
the positions are easy enough to accomplish (so long as you find a physical way to make them work), but the resistors will really mess up the taper of your pots - rendering the tone/vol controls fairly redundant unless fully open. You could probably use stacked pots to acquire the desired single coil resistance, but you can only really buy them concentric - so they'd have two knobs in one, if you get me? you could probably have it so that the ganged pots work independently depending on where you are on the selector switch. I tried something similar in an old jap strat i once owned, but backwards - so i'd have an s1 switch that, when engaged, would stack the 2 and 4 positions in series, providing more output. sadly the increased resistance made the signal muddy, a problem that could be fixed with higher ohmage in the pots to retain as much high end as possible but the wiring was complicated enough without the need to have ganged pots thrown in the mix. most things are possible, but it becomes an issue of practicality.

Bridging the ohmage gap to work for both is always a struggle, sometimes a different rating can meet demand - such as a 300 ohm pot, or something odd like that. but it's only really a compromise. some companies have interesting ideas for humbuckers intended to be split (seymour duncan have one called a stag something i think - also the P rails) where the split coil is compensated for output, and/or tonal balance - but again you're still stuck with the pots you're using.
Furnder Turlurcurstur '72 Cursturm
A tuner
RAT!@#?1!
Oloctro Hormonox Doloxo Momory Mon
Fenders Deluxes Reverbs.