i've been promoted. And I'm over the moon. I need to celebrate, and what better way, than getting a new guitar!

I've been looking at three;

http://www.takamine.com/TSF48C
__

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/114ce
__

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/214ce

I won't have the chance to try them out sadly. Im going by reviews/youtube and you guys! Would mean the world to me, if you could help me out!

Cheers
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
first of all, congratulations on your promotion

i've played all three, and i prefer the 114 to the others. the tak isn't a bad guitar - it has a solid top and back - but i find i prefer the taylor sound, and find even these lam B&S taylors to have a clearer tone.

one more important thing is i find taylors to be pretty consistent - the mexican taylors (the 100 and 200 series) not quite so much so, but still much more than most other brands. that matters when you order online.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
first of all, congratulations on your promotion

i've played all three, and i prefer the 114 to the others. the tak isn't a bad guitar - it has a solid top and back - but i find i prefer the taylor sound, and find even these lam B&S taylors to have a clearer tone.

one more important thing is i find taylors to be pretty consistent - the mexican taylors (the 100 and 200 series) not quite so much so, but still much more than most other brands. that matters when you order online.

Thanks a lot Patti!
- Have you played that particular Takamine?
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
Gz on your promotion man! I've only played the Taylor 114CE and to me it sounds awesome. however, I think the takamine is better built, but i'm not sure
Quote by AdamDCMA
i've been promoted. And I'm over the moon. I need to celebrate, and what better way, than getting a new guitar! ...[ ]....
I'd also buy the Taylor over the Tak.

The only thing you really need to consider is the sound spectrum of the "Grand Auditorium body", as opposed to the dreadnought. Dreadnoughts are thicker in the bass, with a bunch of mid bass. GA trends toward a bit less "boom", but perhaps a more defined bass. If you're plugged in, some tweaking of the EQ, can reasonably make one guitar mimic the otyher.

I really like my Taylor 115e 12 string. (They don't make a 12 in the 2xx series).

That said, I like the matte finish, and I like the idea of the guitar being, "varnished", as opposed to the gloss poly. Granted, it did take a bit of getting used to. I look at it like this, Stradivarius always used varnish on his violins, never sprayed poly. And the matte finish, takes away the vanity factor, making the instrument look like it was made for a journeyman, to be played, and not gawked at. The little dings won't matter as much, so you can concentrate on your music. Besides the matte varnish necks on the 1xx have a very, very nice feel! Use the leftover money to buy an amp or something.
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 27, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
I'd also buy the Taylor over the Tak.

The only thing you really need to consider is the sound spectrum of the "Grand Auditorium body", as opposed to the dreadnought. Dreadnoughts are thicker in the bass, with a bunch of mid bass. GA trends toward a bit less "boom", but perhaps a more defined bass. If you're plugged in, some tweaking of the EQ, can reasonably make one guitar mimic the otyher.

I really like my Taylor 115e 12 string. (They don't make a 12 in the 2xx series).

That said, I like the matte finish, and I like the idea of the guitar being, "varnished", as opposed to the gloss poly. Granted, it did take a bit of getting used to. I look at it like this, Stradivarius always used varnish on his violins, never sprayed poly. And the matte finish, takes away the vanity factor, making the instrument look like it was made for a journeyman, to be played, and not gawked at. The little dings won't matter as much, so you can concentrate on your music. Besides the matte varnish necks on the 1xx have a very, very nice feel! Use the leftover money to buy an amp or something.

Oh! i thought the 214 was matte?
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
So I guess people are voting for the 114CE?
Aren't Takamines good?
Farida D32E
Walden D522 12 String

Levellers <3
Quote by AdamDCMA
So I guess people are voting for the 114CE?
Aren't Takamines good?
You could always but the Takamine just to spite us!

As a side note, Garth Brooks use a high end Tak dreadnought as his stage guitar. Draw whatever conclusions you will from that. I believe a few other country artists do as well, but I"m not sure.

I love the dynamics of these threads. This post sounds like you were hoping we'd say, "buy the Tak".

They're fine guitars. So are the Mexi-Taylors, which also have bolt-on resettable necks

But, at the end of the day, buy the guitar which resonates with you, f*** us...
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 29, 2016,
I'm prejudiced against Taks because they are strong on bling, and weak on some aspects of construction, eg epoxied neck joints and grain runout in their cedar tops. However the pickup/preamp systems have a good reputation.

Leaving tone questions aside, I can't think of a guitar I prefer over the 114c at the price. I would rather do my own electrification though - the reports on that have been mixed, but they may have changed it.
Congratulations on your promotion... its best to try out the guitar and hear feel which talks to you. all music instrument have its own voice and soul.. they all may be good instruments but, only one guitar will feel like it is part or extension of your soul.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I'll toss in my 2 cents in favor of the Taylor 114e. I'm not that familiar with Takamine, although I know some good artists are known for using them. I have played the Taylor 114 and 214 though. Both are great guitars, but I think the 114 is better because it's $300 cheaper than the 214 (plus, I don't detect much difference in playability or tone between them).
Quote by Tony Done
Yes, it's a Mexi Taylor of some kind, and I woul put money on a 214.
I think all the 1xx series have black bindings.

Quote by Tony Done
I'm not wild about that nasal tone, but that's a personal thing.
Are you speaking to the guitar, or the singer? Because I don't think the guitar is miked well enough, while the singer is miked a bit too well.

I really would suggest you take the time to listen to the guitar lesson about, "Baby Blue" I posted in this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1703136 Post 4 That's a Taylor 214 Deluxe and it doesn't sound anything like the essentially same Taylor model in this thread. In fact, he use the guitar in all his acoustic tutorials, and it sounds fabulous
Last edited by Captaincranky at May 30, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
Yeah, I was talking about the guitar. I was assuming he had it plugged in, but I didn't think to check. - In which case I would be thinking it was a problem at least as much with the recording as with the guitar's pickup/preamp.
Well, I think it is plugged in. I think I can see a chrome right angle connector at 4:11. It's kind of tough with all the humongous black beer cans lurking about, killing any contrast between the black output cable.

Still, the guitar isn't mixed or plugged into anything that would allow it to show its best...

Maybe we're both right and the guitar amp isn't miked correctly.