hey im looking for some recording software. but i need it to be affordable free is obviously the best if you know any.
My recommendation would be Reaper.
It's not "free" but you can keep using it without paying for it forever :P
Their licenses are quite decent for non-commercial users though.
There seems to be lots of tutorials online for it too, however I've found the basics are quite intuitive.
Good luck!
Try the free trial of everything and decide what you like best.
Don't bother with pro tools if you're just starting out.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Okay, I'm going to say it.

audacity.

As long as you do not need Virtual Instruments/MIDI control and you can mix with your eyes, Audacity is great as a free home studio DAW. It is not a professional DAW but you can get professional results if you know what you are doing.
Last edited by Will Lane at May 27, 2016,
Audacity is certainly free! Has some neat features as well. You can load VST's in it, just not VSTi. You can also make your own Nyquist plugins for it in a sort of similar way as you can make JS plugins in REAPER
Holy shnikeies! Traktion 4 for free! This app, especially if you aren't burdened with unlearning the paradigm of other DAW's, is an extremely fast way for a musician to go from idea to finished song. To me, Traktion has a workflow that encourages you to look at a song as a journey and helps keep you on the steps to get there, including a MIDI feature set, that even a MIDI noob like me can use immediately.

I would say comparing it to REAPER is apples to oranges. REAPER was designed from the start to be the ultimate patchbay, screwdriver and soldering iron. I haven't kept up too much with Traktion's development but the versions I saw had nowhere near REAPER's routing capabilities, nor was it meant to, Traktion's strength to me is in its ability to help you make music, and do it fast, without getting bogged down in every single possible routing or gain staging scheme.
REAPER is cool, I've been using it for my first two albums, very fast and intuitive to use with VST amps and drum programming, but it's starting to give me lots of trouble with the impulse response loader I use for the cabs, it keeps crashing in some situations, so after I finish this 2nd album I'm switching to Studio One or Cubase. That or change my impulse loader and use Recabinet 5 now that it's updated.

I don't know, I want to try something new/more professional, but REAPER is very fast and works very well for guitar playing producers, it's awesome both for recording and playing because of how fast you can change amps and impulses when they are separate plugins, it's also very easy to use with VST amps in stereo mode, just drag and drop tracks, in other DAWs I've tried it's not as easy.

So yeah, try REAPER, just don't use Poulin's Le Cab2 with it.
Quote by VStratto Music

So yeah, try REAPER, just don't use Poulin's Le Cab2 with it.

LePou is aware of the issue and the memory leak in Legion, I expect things will be fixed sooner rather than later.

I don't know what "more professional" means. REAPER was created because a bunch of professionals couldn't get what they wanted out of Pro Tools, after working with the manufacturers of several different DAWs to try and rectify the situation. Most of us still keep an up to date PT system on hand in order to import projects or at least to rent out to the local communities, but speaking for myself, I never use it except to check that a project exported to it works (thanks AA Translator!), though guest engineers do.
I am actually now mainly on Studio One. It has all the good things of Cubase (well almost - midi could be better) and none of the bad.
I tried Reaper and have it as I once in a while trade files with it, but can't say I am very impressed. Some of the editing features took forever for me to do something simple in S1, but I am sure with time I could get proficient on it.

Tracktion is actually quite versatile and they have lots of routing options, you could even do aggregate patches and save them as presets, a lot of weird routing, which again if it is your first DAW might be less daunting.

I have ver. 5 as I am working with a guy that trades files with me with it, personally, I liked the older version 1 and 2 that they did with Mackie (more and better plugins), then Mackie dumped them after ver. 3 and they went back on their own.

Now, the software seems to be more stable but a lot basic in terms of plugins, which again is something that could be supplemented. It will do the main work of a DAW and a vst host and is actually really easy to get started with it...a lot easier than Reaper. Probably on par with something like Mixcraft in terms of ease of use.
Quote by pipelineaudio
LePou is aware of the issue and the memory leak in Legion, I expect things will be fixed sooner rather than later.

I don't know what "more professional" means. REAPER was created because a bunch of professionals couldn't get what they wanted out of Pro Tools, after working with the manufacturers of several different DAWs to try and rectify the situation. Most of us still keep an up to date PT system on hand in order to import projects or at least to rent out to the local communities, but speaking for myself, I never use it except to check that a project exported to it works (thanks AA Translator!), though guest engineers do.

That problem with crashing has been going on for a loooong time I think, besides I bought Recabinet 4 some months ago, and it has been updated to 5, now it's more simple to use with impulse responses I think, so I'll just switch impulse loaders.

About switching DAWs, what I meant is that I want to try something different, when I started recording and mixing, I tried some DAWs but had no idea what I was doing, REAPER was the easiest to use so I just kept using it. Maybe now I can find something that I like better.
Reaper is the only option that doesn't cost a small fortune, really. Logic is great if you're on a mac.

That said, I'm pretty much neck deep in Pro Tools at this point and I won't switch until I find something that has a simpler workflow (there's no folders, no excessive routing features) and can do what I need to do as easily.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My cousin gave me a crack to Adobe Audition and after upgrading from Audacity to Adobe Audition, my life was changed forever.