I've been looking for something like the Mini Rectifier or the Hughes and Ketner 20W with Red Box DI.

I really like the sound of the Mini Rectifier, but it doesn't have a DI option. I want to be able to record silently because I live in an apartment. Having to actually mic up a cab would be way to loud. So the Red Box DI on the Huges and Ketner is perfect.

But is there a way I could do something similar with the Rectifier that would preserve the tone? Or are there any amps similar to these with DI that I should know about?

Thanks for any feedback.
Check out the Peavey 6505MH and Laney IronHeart Studio.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Man that Peavy has all the features I want! Not only the mic simulated output, but an effects loop and reverb. Good 3-band EQ.

I've watched a view videos of it, but most are playing real crunchy rhythm. You think I could get close to the tone that Petrucci has when playing his melodic leads with the neck pickup? I imagine I could, I just can't find a video where someone's dialed in that kind of tone with it.

Great suggestion. I'll have to find a store where I can try this out. Thank you!

And as a side note, I wonder why they didn't put any kind of DI or simulated mic output in the Mini Rectifier. That's the only thing it's missing.
If you want to record DI, just use software amp sims and skip the amp. If you plan to gig, the 6505 is a good choice. Different tools for different jobs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
mesa mark V25?

my MKIV does petrucci better than my rec, and my 5150.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ +1
It may be quite a bit more expensive but Mesa Mark series is what Petrucci's been using for ages.
Of course, the best idea would be to go out and try every option available, as you may find that an sounds awesome but it doesn't give you the response you want.
Quote by bbzswa777
Man that Peavy has all the features I want! Not only the mic simulated output, but an effects loop and reverb. Good 3-band EQ.

I've watched a view videos of it, but most are playing real crunchy rhythm. You think I could get close to the tone that Petrucci has when playing his melodic leads with the neck pickup? I imagine I could, I just can't find a video where someone's dialed in that kind of tone with it.

Great suggestion. I'll have to find a store where I can try this out. Thank you!

And as a side note, I wonder why they didn't put any kind of DI or simulated mic output in the Mini Rectifier. That's the only thing it's missing.

I don´t want to ruin your enthusiasm, but you really should try out how a particular DI (Red Box or any of these "mike-simulated" or "cab-simulated" outputs) sounds, with your own ears. Because most of them sound like C.R.A.P. And the more gain is involved, the worse they sound. Which is not ideal for you I reckon, because for those Petrucii neck pickup leads you need quite a lot of gain.... I had a Mesa Recto preamp, a Laney IRT Studio 15 and a H&K Tubemeister 18 and all their "simulated" outputs sounded awful.
BUT LET´S GET CONSTRUCTIVE: A better solution for you, for silent recording, is to run the signal from the normal line output of a preamp to your computer and use software speakers simulations in there - like VST plugins & stuff. They will sound much better than your "simulated" amp outputs.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at May 27, 2016,
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

AirFish, what you're saying makes sense because I've been having a hard time finding a DI or emulated output from an amp that I like (at least from the samples/videos I've found so far).

But using an amp into some software sound like a good option. I already have Amplitube, so I supposed I could just bypass the Pedals and Amp sections, then leave the Speaker and Rack sections open in order to run a real amp through those? If that's what you're saying, then I'm on board. Amplitube actually sounds pretty good on its own, but just not as good as something like a Mesa Rect or Mk V. And it's not like I'll never be able to actually mic a cab. I just have to make sure I do my recording during the day when people are awake! But for some reason I always enjoy playing so much more late at night.

Anyway, I played through a Mesa Mk V today at a guitar shop and man did I sound good! It's definitely the sound I'm looking for, both clean and lead tones. I know Mesa has such a thing as a Cab Clone, but I guess that would sound similar to the other DI's.

Thanks again!
You could look at the 2 notes torpedo thingys. They sound really good, but wayyy the fuck out of budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I talked to Mesa about using fx send to record on the Mini and it is impossible as it is after the power amp. You have to buy a cab load, they said to try the Cab Clone.
If you want the Mesa sound direct, look up the VTwin.
Quote by diabolical
I talked to Mesa about using fx send to record on the Mini and it is impossible as it is after the power amp. You have to buy a cab load, they said to try the Cab Clone.
If you want the Mesa sound direct, look up the VTwin.

....or the Mesa Rectifier Recording preamp.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by bbzswa777
Thanks for all the advice, guys!

AirFish, what you're saying makes sense because I've been having a hard time finding a DI or emulated output from an amp that I like (at least from the samples/videos I've found so far).

But using an amp into some software sound like a good option. I already have Amplitube, so I supposed I could just bypass the Pedals and Amp sections, then leave the Speaker and Rack sections open in order to run a real amp through those? If that's what you're saying, then I'm on board. Amplitube actually sounds pretty good on its own, but just not as good as something like a Mesa Rect or Mk V. And it's not like I'll never be able to actually mic a cab. I just have to make sure I do my recording during the day when people are awake! But for some reason I always enjoy playing so much more late at night.

Anyway, I played through a Mesa Mk V today at a guitar shop and man did I sound good! It's definitely the sound I'm looking for, both clean and lead tones. I know Mesa has such a thing as a Cab Clone, but I guess that would sound similar to the other DI's.

Thanks again!

You´re welcome, dude.
And as for the Mesa cab clone, I really wouldn´t expect anything much better than a standard DI.
I admit I haven´t heard it myself, but the reviews are very mixed, some of them even very negative, such as "it´s a shame what kind of sh*t Mesa put its name on...." and similar.
Last edited by Airfish at May 28, 2016,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
You could look at the 2 notes torpedo thingys. They sound really good, but wayyy the fuck out of budget.

Wow this thing really seems legit. So is this seriously the only thing out right now that actually preserves the tone this well while allowing you to record without micing a cab? If so, it might actually be worth the price just for the convenience. Not only for recording, but for gigging as well; just run everything through this then into the PA. Right?