Hey there! So I'm attempting to fix up an old Squier affinity strat and ran into a bit of a hiccup. Long story short, accidentally burnt the original switch while soldering so I bought a new Fender one. The new switch is seen in the pic below.
(Invalid img)

Issue is on the old switch there is a black wire soldered from the volume pot to a prong on the body of the switch. This wire is not illustrated on the diagrams provided for the pickups I bought, and I'm unsure of where to solder it to on the new Fender switch. The pic of the black wire is below, you can see it under the yellow and green wires.
(Invalid img)

I tried just connecting everything else and removing that wire but it didn't work. The issue may lie in that wire or somewhere else, I'm new to guitar modding so its likely I messed up elsewhere. Regardless, any insight on what this black wire is for and where it should be connected to would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
The black wire you're talking about is just a ground wire for the switch body. It's not a circuit return wire so having it unconnected is not gonna cause the whole thing to stop working. You can solder it to the casing of the new switch (if your soldering iron can handle the job) or just remove it entirely.

Go over all the connections again. Make sure the switch is properly wired (did it come with a pinout diagram?) and that your solder joints are decent. The wiring thread (in my sig) may be helpful.

Idk what else to tell you without a pic.
Quote by kabadi.man
hard to tell from that picture, but is the other end of that black wire soldered to the back of the pot ?

Yes, it was soldered from the back of the volume pot to the body of the switch.
Quote by Invader Jim
The black wire you're talking about is just a ground wire for the switch body. It's not a circuit return wire so having it unconnected is not gonna cause the whole thing to stop working. You can solder it to the casing of the new switch (if your soldering iron can handle the job) or just remove it entirely.

Go over all the connections again. Make sure the switch is properly wired (did it come with a pinout diagram?) and that your solder joints are decent. The wiring thread (in my sig) may be helpful.

Idk what else to tell you without a pic.

Ok great thanks!

Yeah i'll definitely go over all the soldering points. Hopefully that solves it.

Unfortunately the switch did not come with a diagram, I'm working with the diagrams that came with the pickups and the original setup of the wiring before I opened it.

Thanks again I will certainly check out that thread.
As long as you follow any diagrams that came with your pickups, you should be good to go, no matter what was in there before. A lot of lower-end guitars have some really confusing and genuinely messed up wiring, just redo it yourself and you should be fine. I've had plenty of experience with this (you could say I "flip" crappy guitars and make them something I personally believe are worth playing) and it's fine as long as you follow any diagrams or at least know the custom job you're doing will work. Check all the connections, as mentioned by the other guys here, and ensure that everything is going where it's supposed to. I couldn't tell you how many times I've ran the hot to ground and gotten dead signal, worried I bought a broken pup haha.