Hey,

I've got a beautifull epiphone sg modded up and sounding great!
But it has horribel tuning stability.
Now i've read that sg's are a bitch to keep in tune.
But i wonder why? is it because of the thin body?
Are can it be fixed?

I use pretty big strings tuned down half step so the tension is not over the top.
The guitar came with grover tuners. Are these just bad and need to be replaced wil this fix it?
I've alreaddy lubed the nut and saddles...

Thanks in advance!
By far the most common reason for tuning problems with Gibson-style guitars is the nut slots grabbing the strings and the strings themselves not being stretched in properly. It has nothing to do with the tuners.

Widening the slots a little and curving them towards the tuners helps a lot. If that doesn't work, buy a new TUSQ nut. The ones that come on these Epiphones are hollow plastic so they aren't that great to begin with. Replacing it is cheap and can help a lot with tuning stability.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 27, 2016,
95% of tuning problems are the nut.

try putting a little graphite in slots. that may improve stability a little.

but yeah i agree with T00DEEP, replace the nut with something better. bone, tusq, graphite.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The fat strings are probably making the problem worse. When you have your new nut cut, make sure the tech knows what size strings you're putting on.

The issue with the nut is also due to the headstock, which pulls the strings off at an abrupt angle in two directions. Can't do anything about that, but you can certainly have the nut done.
I have a Epi G400 I bought years ago it is stock except for the bridge pickup and after re-slotting the nut I have absolutely no issues and I have used it as my main guitar for a few bands I played in

I use 10-52 on it tuning from E standard to drop C and it is just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at May 28, 2016,
Quote by Vincesax
I use pretty big strings tuned down half step so the tension is not over the top.
The guitar came with grover tuners. Are these just bad and need to be replaced wil this fix it?
I've alreaddy lubed the nut and saddles...

Tension is pretty much irrelevant - more tension generally means better tuning stability since it equalises tension more readily across the nut and bridge. However, the bigger strings are probably the cause of your problem - they may well be getting stuck in the nut slots despite your lubrication since if the slot's too small for the string no amount of lubrication will change that. The nuts on Les Pauls, SGs and suchlike are a particular source of friction since the strings are pulled off to either side with the position of the machine heads.

The Grover tuners on those Epis are fantastic, actually. Honestly, if the guitar ever conks out I'd recommend keeping them.
You're most likely having tuning issues due to the nut, as others have stated. I ended up having my factory nut replaced w/a bone one on my SG, and it made a major difference in tuning stability, and even added a bit of resonance/mojo to the guitar's natural tone, IMO.

I'd have the factory nut filed down, or upgrade it w/something like a bone or graphite nut. Should help out tremendously, provided that the guitar is properly set up as well.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff