Has been a while since I have played. About 2 years ago I got a ibanez Tallman and electric also but due to a divorce had to sell them. So now I am back trying to start playing again.
Was hoping that some of you might be able to give me opinions on a decent beginner acoustic
Mainly looking to play country and blues genres
Read an article online and one that they suggested was an Epiphone DR-100
Thought I would ask here and see what other opinions you all have

Thanks
Quote by champ198
Has been a while since I have played. About 2 years ago I got a ibanez Tallman and electric also but due to a divorce had to sell them. So now I am back trying to start playing again.
Was hoping that some of you might be able to give me opinions on a decent beginner acoustic
Mainly looking to play country and blues genres
Read an article online and one that they suggested was an Epiphone DR-100
Thought I would ask here and see what other opinions you all have

Thanks

Hi champ. Didn't see a price limit listed, but since you are talking about the DR-100 I'm assuming you don't want to spend a lot of money.

The DR-100 is a pretty good starter instrument. They are very pretty guitars from what I've seen. You can get them for $99-$129 on Amazon. I'd check out the Epiphone PR-150 as well if I were you. It's a little better than the DR-100 I think, plus I saw a PR-150 on Amazon for $99 a little while back. I played one last month and it sounded and played about as good as anything in the shop.
thanks for the opinion.
yea dont want to spend a ton right now jsut to get started learning.
was hoping to get a decent on for under $200 to start with.
Yamaha have a good reputation, and I played a used 310 recently that I really liked. In that low price range, you can find some terrific guitars if you are prepared to trust your ears and shop around a bit.

Put some money aside for a decent set up if you don't do your own.
yamaha FG700 - $199. it's a great value, has a solid top, so more resonant than most all lam guitars, and it sounds good. imo head and shoulders above the all lam DR-100.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by champ198
thanks for the opinion.
yea dont want to spend a ton right now jsut to get started learning.
was hoping to get a decent on for under $200 to start with.
In fact, if you called Musician's Friend between now and May 30th, you might be able to get a discount on the Yamaha, as they're having a "percent off sale". But, you have to call, you won't get a better price than MAP, on the website. The MAP on the Yamaha is $199.95. Plus you'd get free shipping and no sales tax, provided you don't live in these states:

We are required to collect sales tax on all orders shipped to California, Indiana, Missouri, Utah and Washington state. You will be charged the local sales tax rate for any orders shipped to these states. Co...
+1 on the Yamaha fg700. Get a solid top if you can swing it. They start at about the $200 range and Yamaha's are hard to beat for the price.
I'm gunna throw up a suggestion for redwood. They are cheap but they don't feel or sound as cheap as they are. They are laminate tops but from doing a bit of digging they differ from normal laminates in quite a substantial way. They are a fairly low grade spruce soundboard with a very thin vineer to improve longevity and as a result don't sound as muddy as other laminates which are usually 3 ply (most laminates I've seen are 3 ply) they do a parlour that's solid cedar top, they play very nicely. I tried a couple back to back with some yamahas and fenders. I rate then higher than fender but just under Yamaha although to play they 'feel' like a Yamaha. But are half the price. I've not seen them anywhere other than Dawson's (a uk company) but if you can get them in the states definitely worth a look.
Quote by Thom1989
I'm gunna throw up a suggestion for redwood. They are cheap but they don't feel or sound as cheap as they are. They are laminate tops but from doing a bit of digging they differ from normal laminates in quite a substantial way. They are a fairly low grade spruce soundboard with a very thin vineer to improve longevity and as a result don't sound as muddy as other laminates which are usually 3 ply (most laminates I've seen are 3 ply) they do a parlour that's solid cedar top, they play very nicely. I tried a couple back to back with some yamahas and fenders. I rate then higher than fender but just under Yamaha although to play they 'feel' like a Yamaha. But are half the price. I've not seen them anywhere other than Dawson's (a uk company) but if you can get them in the states definitely worth a look.
I think the only possible thing that would be worse than people making lawn furniture out of an endangered species, is making crap laminated guitars out of one.
Quote by Captaincranky
I think the only possible thing that would be worse than people making lawn furniture out of an endangered species, is making crap laminated guitars out of one.

Care to elaborate as that seems awfully dismissive of an instrument I doubt you've played?
Try getting in a cort for those bucks. They sound great for the prices they sell. Try getting a preloved second hand cort earth grand. You'll love it
Quote by Thom1989
Care to elaborate as that seems awfully dismissive of an instrument I doubt you've played?
I'm dismissing the concept of making them out of Sequoia sempervirens. Do you have a problem with that?

Although I do suppose it depends on where the redwood came from, and what Dawson's is calling / passing off as, "redwood", these days.

Call me a "PitA tree hugger", it'll make you feel better.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 1, 2016,
I believe they are just cedar or spruce tops/backs with sapele(sp?) sides. It's the brand that's named redwood. But I have found another guitar company called redwood which are not the ones I refer to. I don't have a problem with you having a problem with using unsustainable wood types. That's a fair gripe to have. I was just suprised by what I interpreted as hatred for them.
Quote by Tony Done
That name thing is a bit of an irritation. "Redwood", "Tanglewood" "Earthwood. It all just looks chintzy to me.

How dare you, you leave tanglewood alone 😝😝

I love mine to bits. Plus I don't know what you mean by chintzy.

Edit: I googled it, it means cheap or of poor quality.
In respect to redwood they are cheap, they are intended to be so the quote 'stop lobbing facts like there insults' (Barry, American Dad) comes to mind😜

Tanglewood are cheap in the grand scheme of guitars but I don't find mine feels, looks or sounds cheap.

Earth wood I know nothing of.

I think cliche may be a more fitting statement.

Pedantic moment over,
As you were
Last edited by Thom1989 at Jun 1, 2016,
I did a google search and the only redwood guitars that came up were very expensive ones that actually used real redwood(sequoia). Is there a link to this company? I'm always in the market for a cheap guitar that sounds good. LOL
Quote by hotrodney71
I did a google search and the only redwood guitars that came up were very expensive ones that actually used real redwood(sequoia)....[ ].....
All you need to do is walk through a Home Depot these days, and read the prices on stringy ass, damned, old #2 Ponderosa Pine boards to go into "eco-shock".

What really scared me was the absence of tongue and groove cedar boards for closet lining. ((Aromatic cedar smells real purty, and keep moths away). It was there 20 years ago, which ain't much time in the relative scheme of things. I asked for it, and this generation of H.D. employees had no idea what I was talking about.

In any event, it even takes about 600 years to replace the "fast growing" Picea Sitchensis to value for guitar tops. Picea rubens (The old growth Adirondack variety), is pretty much gone as well.

The trouble with cutting lumber for guitar tops, is that it needs to be quarter sawn for the first cuts, and then rift cut after that. It's a very inefficient and wasteful use of timber.

The mixed species of coniferous farmed lumber they're cutting for studding and other construction members, has yearly grain spacing of about 1/4".......Methinks it wouldn't sound good at all.

Don't mind me, I'm an old man suffering from "present shock".
Quote by hotrodney71
I did a google search and the only redwood guitars that came up were very expensive ones that actually used real redwood(sequoia). Is there a link to this company? I'm always in the market for a cheap guitar that sounds good. LOL

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-ap-20s-parlour-acoustic-guitar

That's a link to a uk site. The only place I can find them stocked. (May be an exclusive but I'm not 100%)

That's just one guitar but if you have a look at the site there are a lot more.

I fell in love with the guitar in the link. It played very nicely and sounded really nice considering price. It's even a solid cedar top. The rest are laminated but the ones I tried weren't half bad.
Quote by Thom1989
http://www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-ap-20s-parlour-acoustic-guitar

That's a link to a uk site. The only place I can find them stocked. (May be an exclusive but I'm not 100%)

That's just one guitar but if you have a look at the site there are a lot more.

I fell in love with the guitar in the link. It played very nicely and sounded really nice considering price. It's even a solid cedar top. The rest are laminated but the ones I tried weren't half bad.

Sweet! I have been looking for a parlor guitar and this one seems to fit what I was looking for perfectly. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they ship to the states.
How much is it to get FedEx to collect it?
I'm sure if you emailed them a courier label to slap on the box i see no reason why they wouldn't let you arrange a pickup from their main depot. They seem a reasonable bunch.