Hi guys, I've recently got very into my pedals, and have finally decided to get myself a relatively cheap power supply.

I've noticed that plugging two pedals into the power supply seems to get a constant hum (which seems to be at around the 100 Hz mark using a parametric EQ) even with a noise gate at the end of the loop. This hum is worsened the more pedals I add, and seems to reduce the closer together I plug the pedals. (If I plug two pedals in to outputs 2 and 3 on the DC-9 adapter it's considerably quieter than if I plug the same two pedals in at outputs 1 and 5).

My question is how can I get around this. I've been lead to believe through some research that it's due to ground looping and the fact that my DC box is not properly isolating each output. I'm interested to find out if people can suggest a way to modify my current box (even if that requires taking out the entire PCB and wiring the physical parts plus extras from scratch). I know it's possible for me to just go out and buy a big expensive fancy box, but I've got the whole summer this year to fiddle with gear, so I figured why not try and do it myself!

Thanks
Last edited by jamicmac5 at May 27, 2016,
What kind of power supply do you have? The humming could be from ground loops, poor/inadequate filtering, poor or no shielding, or some combination thereof. You say it's around 100Hz so that makes me think it's poor filtering (full-wave rectified DC with no filtering pulses at 120Hz).
Quote by Invader Jim
What kind of power supply do you have? The humming could be from ground loops, poor/inadequate filtering, poor or no shielding, or some combination thereof. You say it's around 100Hz so that makes me think it's poor filtering (full-wave rectified DC with no filtering pulses at 120Hz).

I'm inclined to agree with Jim here. Sounds like the power supply you're using has a pretty crappy set of filter caps.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.