Been playing guitar for a little over a year now. I play mostly metal but I'm starting to branch out. I'd consider myself a decent player, especially being self taught. (Never had lessons) I can play most riffs, but not many solos.
I haven't hit a wall, like what seems to happen to most people, but I still think theory is the next step. I just don't know where to start. I don't have much knowledge of music theory, just the very basics. Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated. Thanks!
My advice, as always, is start with intervals ... they are the foundation all music rests on (along with rhythm).

Try https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/drastically_reduce_learning_time_with_intervals_part_2.html.

Based on feedback, I've written a more extensive version, but I suspect its too long to post on UG. If you send a PM with your email, I'll send you a copy.

Scales, and chords, are based on intervals. The tone tendencies are based on intervals. Chord tendencies are based on interactions between intervals in chord. Human response is driven by these tendencies, along with rhythm.

And you don't need to learn everything by note name ... that jsut confuses ... though of course you need to be able to find a chosen starting note on guitar. (A chord is a bunch of intervals laid out relative to its root; a scale is a bunch of intervals laid out relative to its tonic).
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at May 28, 2016,
Remember to apply your knowledge to music. What I mean is that when you listen to/play songs, figure out what's happening in them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thanks to all who replied. I didn't expect many answers to quickly, haha. Definitely gave me some ideas on where to start and some good material to learn from. Thanks again.
If you're looking for a free option, I've got a six month program for helping out with the "swiss cheese effect" that often comes with being self taught. I cover mechanics, theory, practice habits, improvising, and more. Check it out.