Well, how often do you change the strings of your FLOYD EQUIPPED guitar ?
Also should I consider coated strings for extended-long life ?
Finally, how often do you break your strings ?
This entirely depends on what type of strings they are, how often you play them, where you store the guitar, and how acidic your sweat is.

It has nothing to do with the guitar having a Floyd or not.

Personally, I change strings every 3-4 months usually. I use Elixirs which seem to last forever, and I have multiple guitars so I chop and change between them rather than using one every day.

Can't remember the last time I broke a string. I assume you are asking because you are having issues with this, so where is the string breaking? At the bridge/nut/middle?
Depends if you're gigging or not in my experience.I used to change strings after every 2-3 gigs now i only play at home i can go a couple of months without changing.When they sound and look dull then change them.You will find out yourself how often you need to do it.Everyone is different.
Quote by Random3

Can't remember the last time I broke a string. I assume you are asking because you are having issues with this, so where is the string breaking? At the bridge/nut/middle?

Actually, yes...
I don't break them too often (once every nine months) but I have serious trouble
changing strings with floyd. My first (high) E string goes off the bridge and a tec has told me
that I probably don't place it correctly but I place it the same way I do with the other strings that don't go off the bridge. What I'm doing wrong ?

Also, I am asking of you often do u change strings with floyd because it's a bloody hard work for me and I avoid changing them more than 3 times a year. I wanted to see how others
thought of this...

Also nice work with the album !
Last edited by DHF1234 at May 28, 2016,
Yep Elixers are great. I play my Ibanez maybe 2 nights a week and the Strat the rest, so the Ibanez gets changed about every 6 months.

Regular strings only last me a few weeks; they rust up very quickly for me.

Tip: wiping off your strings and fretboard after playing helps a lot.
Also, on a FR guitar, replacing strings one by one is best. Just retune each string after replacing it.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Any decent brand strings will do, if you want to have the strings last:

1. Wipe the strings down after you've played them using the standard string/fretboard cleaning tools
2. Ensure you have a gentle yet firm string hitting technique, too much power drains their life
3. Wash your hands before you play, if you stop and do something and come back, wash them again
4. Clean the entire body of the guitar, guitars gather dust and you touch them all over; you don't want to transfer all that dust/oil to the strings

The whole coated strings thing, yeah they might corrode less over time but honestly with the above steps any set of strings will last several months and be playable.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
i am guilty. my floyd (in my case edge) guitars get strung a lot less often than my strats, teles, LP's and SG's because i am lazy. haha.

i get three or six months out of strings these days, but i regularly play a lot of different guitars regularly, and my hands don't sweat at all.

the most critical guitar to keep fresh strings on is my Subline Cheiftain semi-hollow body, but it probably doesn't get played more than a few hours a month. it seems that if the strings get old it loses its magic and just gets dull. last time a strung it i did put regular .12 dunlop heavy core (or whatever they are called) and it has lasted probably six months. which is better than the d'addarios i had on there before.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Floyd isn't a factor for string replacement frequency. The string goes in the saddle and in the groove of the nut. Maybe if you post a pic we could tell you what's wrong, if anything.

I change my strings every 1-2 months. I don't like coated strings. If longevity is an issue, I would use stainless steel strings, cyro-treated strings (GHS Sub-Zero or Dean Markley Blue Steel), or high carbon steel like NYXL. I've broken one string so far, due to not paying attention and over-tightening.
Quote by dthmtl3
Floyd isn't a factor for string replacement frequency. The string goes in the saddle and in the groove of the nut. Maybe if you post a pic we could tell you what's wrong, if anything.

I change my strings every 1-2 months. I don't like coated strings. If longevity is an issue, I would use stainless steel strings, cyro-treated strings (GHS Sub-Zero or Dean Markley Blue Steel), or high carbon steel like NYXL. I've broken one string so far, due to not paying attention and over-tightening.

Not sure about the others, but my fingers burn theough NYXL strings in just a few weeks. I may be an alien.
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by dthmtl3
Floyd isn't a factor for string replacement frequency.

I have always wondered about that, though. Given how quickly Floyd's can take away (and add back in) all of that string tension, its really got to be doing something to strings surely? Taking away and adding all that pressure at once, it kind of makes sense to me that it would hurt the overall longevity of the strings.

That said pretty every guitar string is wound well within their tension boundaries, like you can tension these strings way beyond what you actually think you can. So not all that sure to be honest
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I change my string every month because I am a lazy bastard who got a new set of strings and only wipe them after playing for 2-3 days after that i'm like "nah whatever" PLEASE don't do this kind of things. not doing this saves you a lot of money. I use D addarios NYXL btw
Quote by Anthony1991
I have always wondered about that, though. Given how quickly Floyd's can take away (and add back in) all of that string tension, its really got to be doing something to strings surely? Taking away and adding all that pressure at once, it kind of makes sense to me that it would hurt the overall longevity of the strings.

Nope.

FAR more important to string life is how you treat them and what they're made of in the first place. I have Floyds on a *lot* of my guitars, and rarely break a string. If you've got strings on your guitar so long that metal fatigue is an issue, you're really not replacing your strings often enough.

On the guitars I use the most, I have cheap strings (GHS Boomers and their ilk) that I replace often. I'll sometimes treat them to a set of Dean Markleys (the...um...Cold Steels, I believe). If a guitar is going to sit, Elixirs go on. If I'm playing out a lot, strings can easily get changed once a week.

Most guitar players leave their strings on their guitars way too long, like a sax player that's allowed his reed to turn to mush. I've picked up guitars that have more string rust than original steel left. These things are sawing down the frets, shredding fingers, etc. Look on the underside of the strings and you'll see rusticles.
Quote by DHF1234
Well, how often do you change the strings of your FLOYD EQUIPPED guitar ?

I'm guessing that if you're delaying changing strings on your Floyd equipped guitar, you're just in fear of the Floyd, and you should make it a point to learn how to change your strings quickly and easily without affecting the setup. There are Youtube vids out there that show you how to do it, but until you take a deep breath and just do it often, you won't develop an easy familiarity with it.

Buy cheap strings in packs of 10 or a dozen when the sales come along and build some inventory.

I have mine in plastic ziplocks with a VCI strip (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor -- wards off rust on metal things). I wipe down the guitar after use (top and bottom of strings) and I keep a VCI (see theruststore.com) in the case with the guitar. This helps prevent string corrosion (and corrosion on the rest of the guitar). If you leave your guitar out on a stand, your strings will corrode at least twice as quickly.
Quote by dspellman
I'm guessing that if you're delaying changing strings on your Floyd equipped , you're just in fear of the Floyd, and you should make it a point to learn how to change your strings quickly and easily without affecting the setup. There are Youtube vids out there that show you how to do it, but until you take a deep breath and just do it often, you won't develop an easy familiarity with it.

Buy cheap strings in packs of 10 or a dozen when the sales come along and build some inventory.

The truth is that I only have my first floyded guitar for half a year. I've seen thousands
of videos but I still have this problem with the bloody first string
It gets of the saddle for some reason
Quote by DHF1234
The truth is that I only have my first floyded guitar for half a year. I've seen thousands
of videos but I still have this problem with the bloody first string
It gets of the saddle for some reason

do you mean pops out? if that is the case i have seen people's guitars who have that little insert in the saddle orientated improperly and causes problems.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
on second thought, take it to a tech the first time and watch him do it. it will be well worth the money.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've sent it today because I either the one way or the other I wanted to change it tuning. I've contact him and he says he will inform me if the saddle has a problem or whatever.
What ? Am I the only one that repeats setting a guitar until it keep its settings ?
The tech said that he would only need it for one and a half day !😨
Is it possible to have a proper set-up in only so little time ?
Quote by DHF1234
What ? Am I the only one that repeats setting a guitar until it keep its settings ?
The tech said that he would only need it for one and a half day !😨
Is it possible to have a proper set-up in only so little time ?

Depends on the tech, what needs to be done and how busy he is. I've had a tech complete a fret superglue, a PLEK run and a complete setup on a Floyd equipped guitar in under seven hours while handling a lot of other work in his shop. Your strings will stretch a bit over the course of the next day or two of use, and you may need to retune it a bit here and there, but that's not something the tech needs to be around for.
Quote by DHF1234
(a) Well, how often do you change the strings of your FLOYD EQUIPPED guitar ?
(b) Also should I consider coated strings for extended-long life ?
(c) Finally, how often do you break your strings ?

(a) as rarely as possible

(b) up to you. the ones i've tried feel a bit different.

(c) not very often. though if you're doing crazy up-pulls with your floyd that's going to result in a lot more broken strings.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One of the reasons why I bought Elixirs is to avoid changing strings. 4/7 of my instruments are Floyd equipped and I'm lazy as shit. Elixirs sound good for months and months on end and I have battery acid for sweat and they rarely ever break, unless I fuck it up. They're expensive, but totally worth it.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
i'm lazy as all get out too but i don't like how they feel

i get by using the simple expedient of just using regular strings and changing them just as infrequently as i would coated strings
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm lazy as all get out too but i don't like how they feel

i get by using the simple expedient of just using regular strings and changing them just as infrequently as i would coated strings

I love the way a coated string feels. A normal string feels super dry to me now
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds