You know, one of those ones with the extra low B and high C. Not the silly ones that are tuned like a contrabaritone guitar. Why six strings instead of four or five? To play fancy technical death metal stuff with all those dun-dun-dun-dun riffs and the weedly-deedly-dee sweeps of course.

So my budget is really only $400 at most I think. That's not much to work with, but there is a catch... through secret means I can get stuff really cheap (but it has to be new), so $400 gets me a $750ish instrument which I think is a bit more reasonable to work with.

Now obviously I can try instruments out myself and see what I like, but I figured that I would ask you folks. Are there any sixes for around $750ish that are even worthwhile?

Since people usually ask about current gear, I'm probably going to mainly be playing through PA/monitor speakers for the moment since I don't have a bass amp but have plenty of full range powered speakers at my disposal from being a producer/DJ.

Otherwise 24 frets is nice but most sixes that I have been looking at look like they have 24 anyway. For scale length it doesn't matter too much. I guess 35" would be better but 34" is fine if that works. I'm really not concerned much with other features. It looks like most stuff at that price has active EQ stuff which is cool. If it matters, I also play country and bluegrass and it would be easier to record the bass parts myself than get somebody else to do it. But mainly I'm interested in tech death.

I guess that's it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
ibanez is about all you're gonna be able to swing for a decent quality 6er. i'd recommend the best BTB model you can get, since they have monorail bridges (which help significantly in alleviating sympathetic resonance)

you really don't wanna go cheap on a 6 string since the tone spectrum is so large, and you're gonna want a nice, stiff neck that won't be prone to warping but will still fit your hand around it.

ideally you'd be able to get that price range up to $1k (new price, more like $600-700 used), though, cause that's where you start getting a lot of options. single-cut, fanned fret, etc.

keep in mind as well the "string" tax. if there's a model of instrument that comes in 4, 5, and 6 string options, more often than not the 6 string version can range anywhere from 50-100$ more. it's unfortunate but it is what it is

the flip side to that is, most 6 strings in that range are just a scaled up version of an equivalent 4-5 string, so if you go to a store and try them out, you'll have a ballpark idea of how it will feel.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Sounds good. Are there any advantages of the BTBs over the SRs with monorail bridges? Also when you say single-cut, I believe we have discussed that one before so you know how I feel about that.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
yeah but you're wrong so

you'd just have to try them. there's a significant difference in the playability IMHO. a lot of people prefer the SRs both for feel and aesthetics, but BTBs come off as "snappier" than "round" to me and the necks tend to be less fat and chunky. on my 1406e i was able to fret 5-6 string chords with relative ease.

in any case, they're probably going to have similar (bartolini) pickups. it's a good brand and you shouldn't have any problems, though the 6xx and 7xx level SRs do come with nordstrand's, which is a verrrry nice brand and i can voice for their effectiveness from experience. the trade-off there is that the models i just looked up with nordstrands come with in-house preamps, while the BTBs come with bartolini preamps. i only have experience with the bartolini pre, but it's very good and bartolini is kind of a standard brand in the bass world.

i'd recommend finding an SR and BTB and playing them though. you can tell the difference immediately, even from a gap of a few levels - testing a 4xx BTB vs. 6xx SR will still give you a general idea on design differences.

one thing to consider about BTBs is, as user-friendly as they are, the necks are quite thin. this is great for playing, and they come with 5+ piece necks, so they're less prone to warping, but it's still going to be more prominent than, say, a similar level SR, which has a chunkier and less temperamental neck. if you're not going to be willing to adjust it every month or so and/or leave it in a case between uses, it will probably become a nuisance to you. BTBs have a smaller selection and generally higher price point, as well, so it might be out of your budget

if you can find another brand you might enjoy them as well, but for the most part in the sub-1k range ibanez is the brand to beat for >5 string basses and >6 string guitars.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at May 29, 2016,
rondo has some fantastic 6-string bass, passive pickups, you can always upgrade the pots, switch and pickups into what brand you prefer.. http://www.rondomusic.com/usra2mn6car.html

I have the 4-string which i put Babicz FCH bass bridge and SD Quarter Pound jazz pickups, upgrade the tuners to Fender tuners.. strings are set low.. really nice
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
It looks like the BTB676 is the cheapest one with the monorail bridge. It's 900 which would get discounted down to a hair under 500. I could probably do that and I don't think I would likely find a used one under that price without waiting a bit. That might be the best option in terms features and price.
Looks like I could get a used one for like 400 or less. I'll look into it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you can find a Peavey Grind Bass 6er, it's well worth the money. Even above the Ibby BTBs, I'd say it's probably the best bang for buck six string about.

definitely an easier one to find for sure. i don't have any experience with them but they're pretty universally enjoyed. like i said though, you might wanna find some samples to try out if at all possible

bass isn't like guitar where you can throw in different pickups and plug into a different amp and change the tuning, and pop on a little gain and make it sound like a completely different instrument - at least to my ears, a bass's individual sound is pretty much transparent.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
BTB 456 or 405

Bartolini or Bart non branded pups

Clear Basswood

I have 4 of these 400 series basses, and prefer them over everthing, especially and SR with sub 16mm spacing

I cannot live without the sweepable midrange on the Ibbie VariMid III EQ
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Quote by Deliriumbassist
If you can find a Peavey Grind Bass 6er, it's well worth the money. Even above the Ibby BTBs, I'd say it's probably the best bang for buck six string about.

Errr.... carefull with that Grind. I had the Grind 6 and it was rubbish! Even for the buck. I mean, tone was OK, design is cool, BUT.... The neck twist (warp, bend, whatever) was horrible, despite two trussrods... My tech had to use all his magic to make it straight and it never stayed like that long enough. Plus the tuners are just cr*ap.... And it was all my fault, I wanted to save money at any cost and did not pay attention to many reviews, full of complaints about the mechanical quality.... So once again: be wiser than me and forget the Peavey Grind 6....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Yes, because one bad one is instant 'oh noes!' I've seen all sorts of instruments across all price ranges have a bad example.

You are right, sir. But I´m definitely not the only one complaining.... A bit of googling is all it takes and you will see what I´m talking about.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
peavey's TL-6 is pretty much the ultimate 6 string on a budget, look out for cort as well, their A6 is pretty damn nice for the price as well

if you find a TL-6 buy it and don't even think twice.
Quote by cqwood223
peavey's TL-6 is pretty much the ultimate 6 string on a budget, look out for cort as well, their A6 is pretty damn nice for the price as well

if you find a TL-6 buy it and don't even think twice.

Cort: +1
I recently started playing bass (about two years) with a five-string, and honestly I'm not that good at it. Friend of mine sent me some really complicated music that had some awesome bass lines, and he wanted it done up as a set of backing tracks. I looked at it and thought, "Oh, crap..."

He got the tracks back and was just blown away at my virtuosity, particularly on those really complicated bass parts. And I didn't have to mention that I'd just fired up the Korg Kronos and done all of it on keyboard.
Quote by dspellman
I recently started playing bass (about two years) with a five-string, and honestly I'm not that good at it. Friend of mine sent me some really complicated music that had some awesome bass lines, and he wanted it done up as a set of backing tracks. I looked at it and thought, "Oh, crap..."

He got the tracks back and was just blown away at my virtuosity, particularly on those really complicated bass parts. And I didn't have to mention that I'd just fired up the Korg Kronos and done all of it on keyboard.
As ever, you are the future
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
As ever, you are the future

Right...
There are actually a TON of guitar synths out there now that you can just load onto your keyboard that sound right on the money (because they were sampled/created from the real thing, natch, and guess where IRs came from in the first place). Lots of performance options for bends, pinch harmonics, slides, etc. But the truth is, you need almost the same virtuosity to learn those as you do the guitar in the first place. Worth noting that Line 6 and modeling and Variax and all that came from a bunch of keyboard engineers that left Alesis.