So I bought some new Duncan pickups for my LP and as I am about to replace them I realize the stock pickups have this quick connect system. Can I reuse these somehow or am I screwed with these pickups?
Last edited by ktullu98 at May 28, 2016,
Depends what the old pickups were and what the new ones are.

If the guitar used to have active EMG's and you're now switching to passive pickups, then even if you could use the existing pots, they're going to be the wrong values anyway.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you really, really don't want to modify or replace the pots in any way, then I think the most viable solution is to cut off the connectors of the old Gibson pickups and splice them into the new Duncans.

Completely defeats the point of them being quick connect since you already have a soldering iron in your hand to solder the pickups in the regular way. But hey that's why quick connectors are such a stupid idea.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 28, 2016,
I guess I never expected to have to replace the pots. Dont know how much it would be or how diffictul or if it would be worth it.
Its worth it if you want to use your new pickups without modifying any of the existing pickups or electronics whatsoever. Because there is no other way.

But if it were me I'd just splice the quick connectors onto the new Duncans and I'd be good to go in 10 minutes.

Rewiring a guitar isn't hard though. They're extremely simple devices electronically, and soldering isn't that difficult. But it is something that takes a bit of practice. And of course you need to buy a soldering iron, some solder and ideally a solder sucker to remove excess solder. Soldering is a good manly skill to have and indispensable for repairing anything electronic.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 28, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Its worth it if you want to use your new pickups without modifying any of the existing pickups or electronics whatsoever. Because there is no other way.

But if it were me I'd just splice the quick connectors onto the new Duncans and I'd be good to go in 10 minutes.

Rewiring a guitar isn't hard though. They're extremely simple devices electronically, and soldering isn't that difficult. But it is something that takes a bit of practice. And of course you need to buy a soldering iron, some solder and ideally a solder sucker to remove excess solder. Soldering is a good manly skill to have and indispensable for repairing anything electronic.

well, not so much anything.

Won't be using soldering to fix a CPU or an iPhone.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Order a set of connectors and use that with your new pickups. I'm sure these connectors are readily available.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
well, not so much anything.

Won't be using soldering to fix a CPU or an iPhone.

Well no that would be silly; you can't even attempt to repair a CPU. To repair anything electronic would imply that it can actually be repaired.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at May 29, 2016,