Hi everyone! I have been playing guitar for over 10 years and I really want to advance my playing. I am able to play advanced riffs and improvise to a small extent. I have alot of difficulty coming up with my own songs and new riffs. I really only know the pentatonic and blues shapes and some Aeolian shapes. I like playing lead so I know hardly any chords by name. I don't know all the notes on the neck and I know that's a big down fall, I have bad memory so I have not memorized all the notes, Iam thinking about getting fret board stickers as a way of learning where all the notes are. I've read over 10 books on music theory and I have a general understanding of it but have difficulty applying it. I want to be able to construct my own songs and really be able to express my self. I need a better practice regimen as well. If any one has advice as I can grow as a guitar player it would be greatly appreciated. I like classic rock, 80s metal, thrash, blues Ect. If any one knows any good books I can read or DVDs or websites/online lessons please let me know I feel like I am stuck and I don't know how to become a better guitarist, any help would be tremendously appreciated, thanks!!
Sounds like you know what you need to do already. Just gotta sit down and do it. Most of being a decent musician is putting in the time and effort. Knowledge and creativity only matter if you apply them in some disciplined manner.
Last edited by cdgraves at May 29, 2016,
Sounds like what you need is a strategy. Sign up on my site at the link below and you'll get free weekly lessons to help you do all of the things you're having trouble with.

No catch, it's free, and you can unsubscribe at any time.

Hope to see you there.