Hi everyone! I understand that g major is the relative scale to e minor, so if I play say g major shapes over a e minor backing track will it sound in Key? Iam wanting to learn the major scale and all the shapes in hopes of coming up with new riffs and more happy sounding riffs as I have been playing pentatonic/blues/aeolian for ever it seems. Also if any one knows where I can correct pictures of the g major shapes it would be greatly appreciated. I know I should learn the notes of the neck and play the scale how ever I want and Iam in the process of that but for now I just want to learn the patterns. Iam wanting to have a rock/blues/metal sound.. Any advice would be great, thanks very much.
Yes. G major and E minor have the same notes which means that the scale shapes are also the same. This means, you can use the same shapes over both G major and E minor songs.

Here's the G major scale all over the fretboard:

Oh, BTW, if you already know pentatonic shapes, it shouldn't be hard to learn the whole major scale. You need to add just two notes to the pentatonic scale to get the full major scale. So if you already know G major pentatonic (or E minor pentatonic), just add an F# and a C and you've got the whole G major scale.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at May 29, 2016,
be aware that you're actually going to be playing e minor, though, even if you're using the g major scale shape. the harmony dictates your key, not the melody.
modes are a social construct
Quote by Frenetixx7
Hi everyone! I understand that g major is the relative scale to e minor, so if I play say g major shapes over a e minor backing track will it sound in Key?
Yes.
Quote by Frenetixx7
Iam wanting to learn the major scale and all the shapes in hopes of coming up with new riffs and more happy sounding riffs as I have been playing pentatonic/blues/aeolian for ever it seems.
Right - in general that means major pent rather than minor pent. But if the song is in E minor, playing G major won't change that. It will sound like E minor, as Hail says. (If you focus on the G note, that's just emphasing the b3 of the key.)
Quote by Frenetixx7

I am wanting to have a rock/blues/metal sound..
In that case, your pentatonic/blues licks are probably what you need.

If the song is in E major, then G major licks are the same as E minor licks, so you'll probably get a blues/rock sound.

If the song is in G major, then G major licks will be right inside, and "happier" sounding. But less "rock/blues" sounding - and definitely less metal.
IOW, it seems your desire for "happy sounding riffs" is at odds with your desire for a "rock/blues/metal sound". Maybe you could give some examples of tracks with the sound you're looking for?
Last edited by jongtr at May 30, 2016,