I have a fender frontman 212r, a combo amp, and the speakers blew on it , I was wondering if when I take the speakers off and keep the top as a head should I be worried about what ohms the cab is? I plan on buying a b-52 beheringer cab.... For $75, will that work with the frontman?
The 212R manual says it drives 2x 8 ohm speakers, and the specs are at 4 ohms, so I assume the amp accepts a 4 ohm load (the speakers it comes with are in parallel). The B-52 cab looks like it's 8 ohms. If that's the case it "might" damage the amp. Some amps can handle a 2x impedance mismatch, while others can't...
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Solid state amps will operate safely above their rated impedance, even to the point of no speakers being attached (unlike tube amps where this could cause serious damage)
Moving on.....
The manuals for my tube amps state that a higher speaker mismatch is fine. However, a lower speaker mismatch is not. Check your manual for the specifics regarding your amp. Running speakers with an impedance less than the output will damage the output transformer.
It's a Frontman, it has no output transformer.
It'll work just fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Its 4 ohms if i remember right, because it has 2 ,8 ohm speakers. I dont know how you blew the speakers and not your eardrums. If you put an 8 ohm speaker in it, the amp will only put out like half the watts. Unless its from the 50s its probably solid state just like the one i had.
Last edited by geo-rage at May 30, 2016,