Page 1 of 3
I usually get eaten alive for these questions, so I'll make it brief: What's Esus4 with capo on second fret? I've figured out the others, but not this one...
Quote by Tony Done
It's a D shape, so 200233 or x00233 are options.

Thanks. What would Bsus4 be then? A? And if so, what kind? I already have a B which becomes an A... (As I have an E which becomes a D)
Quote by Tony Done
At the 2nd fret, A is a G shape, so 320003 is the open chord. B would be an A shape, so 002220, Bsus4 would therefore be 00223x, or 002235 or even 002230, depending on what kind of voicing you wanted.

Great. Thank you, sir.
Last two, I swear (I hadnt noticed these, before): C#m and Asus4 with same fret?
Quote by cdgraves
Didn't I tell you to learn your damn barre chords like 6 months?

Darnit! I knew you would track me down. So much for laying low for six months...
Okay, Mr Smarty-smart McSmartypants, how do I do that? I try almost daily. I've always sprained my fingers trying to master it... It just makes an awful discordant noise...
I use 3 different shapes, for sus4. If you know those, and the roots, then you know all the sus4 chords capo or not.

If you knew your note names and these three shapes, you could also answer all the questions you've asked so far.
Quote by fingrpikingood
I use 3 different shapes, for sus4. If you know those, and the roots, then you know all the sus4 chords capo or not.

If you knew your note names and these three shapes, you could also answer all the questions you've asked so far.

How do I learn the roots?
Most of the time the root is the lowest note in the chord. Also if you know where the 3rd is in major chord shapes, just raise it a semitone and you'll have a sus4.
Quote by mdc
Most of the time the root is the lowest note in the chord. Also if you know where the 3rd is in major chord shapes, just raise it a semitone and you'll have a sus4.

See, I dont know any of this. How do I learn? I'm hungry for learnin'!
Lol what u been doing the last "six months"

It's fine, you have a life!! I can recommend a wicked book for you if willing to spend?

Or musictheory.net
Last edited by mdc at Jun 1, 2016,
Quote by mdc
Lol what u been doing the last "six months"

It's fine, you have a life!! I can recommend a wicked book for you if willing to spend?

Or musictheory.net

Book please. I really wanna learn this once and for all.
Quote by AnrBjotk
How do I learn the roots?

A is root of Asus4. B is root of Bsus4. If you learn chord construction, you will see how the chords relate, how a A major differs from a Asus4.

It's actually not all that complicated, but hard to explain in writing. Much easier live, and in context.

This knowledge would also remove most need for a capo.

A good teacher could help you out. I could teach you, but not in a forum post.
Quote by mdc

Neither. But UK is closer in terms of delivery time.
I've been trying to find a book that teaches the basics, but it's hard. Most books are either too simple - learning basic chords and strumming technique, which I know - or too complex/advanced.
I did go to guitar classes, but I had a terrible teacher and never practiced so I never learned anything in four years except reading tablatures and basic chords - the rest I've learned myself. But I have no understanding of it.

I'd love a reference book that tells me, say, what chords are in what key. All the scales. And excercises to learn the barres and speed, etc. Too much to ask. And I dont have the dedication to get into some 273 CD instructions or youtube videos for fees.

Quote by fingrpikingood
A is root of Asus4. B is root of Bsus4. If you learn chord construction, you will see how the chords relate, how a A major differs from a Asus4.

It's actually not all that complicated, but hard to explain in writing. Much easier live, and in context.

This knowledge would also remove most need for a capo.

A good teacher could help you out. I could teach you, but not in a forum post.

I get that A is the root of Asus4, etc. Thats obvious. But how do I figure out that B is a A shape (a transpo chart?) but then how I do I figure out that it becomes a 00223x variation?

I would love for you to teach me, but I'm not sure I would comprehend it or that you would have the patience
That book has everything you're asking for, to make you a self sufficient guitarist. A section called "Thoery Without Tears" is just that. Followed by "Scales And Chords". You will also learn the CAGED System in depth.

If you rely on reference books it will be like learning parrot fashion. You don't want to be flicking through that half way through a gig cuz you forgot a chord shape!
Quote by AnrBjotk
Neither. But UK is closer in terms of delivery time.
I've been trying to find a book that teaches the basics, but it's hard. Most books are either too simple - learning basic chords and strumming technique, which I know - or too complex/advanced.
I did go to guitar classes, but I had a terrible teacher and never practiced so I never learned anything in four years except reading tablatures and basic chords - the rest I've learned myself. But I have no understanding of it.

I'd love a reference book that tells me, say, what chords are in what key. All the scales. And excercises to learn the barres and speed, etc. Too much to ask. And I dont have the dedication to get into some 273 CD instructions or youtube videos for fees.

I get that A is the root of Asus4, etc. Thats obvious. But how do I figure out that B is a A shape (a transpo chart?) but then how I do I figure out that it becomes a 00223x variation?

I would love for you to teach me, but I'm not sure I would comprehend it or that you would have the patience

Music theory is really easy. It just appears complicated from the outside because it hasn't been explained in logical order.

"A shape" "B shape" and whatever refers to CAGED system. If you play E shape open, that's an E. If you move the capo to G on the E string, then E shape will be a G now. You can use your finger to barre the strings instead of a capo as well. Then you can move that anywhere, and that's the "E shape" that you can use to build any major chord rooted on the E string.

You can do this with any chord. Your sus4 is getting a little ahead of yourself. I would consider that a more advanced chord, in terms of theory, and much easier to understand once you've been through the more basic ones, first.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jun 2, 2016,
Quote by mdc
That book has everything you're asking for, to make you a self sufficient guitarist. A section called "Thoery Without Tears" is just that. Followed by "Scales And Chords". You will also learn the CAGED System in depth.

If you rely on reference books it will be like learning parrot fashion. You don't want to be flicking through that half way through a gig cuz you forgot a chord shape!

Great. I hate buying books I can't preview on amazon, but I'll take your word on it. I guess it's more about learning about music, than guitar playing...

Quote by fingrpikingood
Music theory is really easy. It just appears complicated from the outside because it hasn't been explained in logical order.

"A shape" "B shape" and whatever refers to CAGED system. If you play E shape open, that's an E. If you move the capo to G on the E string, then E shape will be a G now. You can use your finger to barre the strings instead of a capo as well. Then you can move that anywhere, and that's the "E shape" that you can use to build any major chord rooted on the E string.

You can do this with any chord. Your sus4 is getting a little ahead of yourself. I would consider that a more advanced chord, in terms of theory, and much easier to understand once you've been through the more basic ones, first.

See, is that supposed to make sense? I'm not being mean here, but this just doesn't make any sense to me... "Move the capo to G on the E string"? Doesnt a capo, by definition, effects all the strings? I'm sure I sound more stupid than you sound greek to me...

What about a brief lesson - and maybe I'm too dumb to even understand the question, or parameters here, but: Which chords are in each key?
Quote by AnrBjotk
Great. I hate buying books I can't preview on amazon, but I'll take your word on it. I guess it's more about learning about music, than guitar playing...

See, is that supposed to make sense? I'm not being mean here, but this just doesn't make any sense to me... "Move the capo to G on the E string"? Doesnt a capo, by definition, effects all the strings? I'm sure I sound more stupid than you sound greek to me...

What about a brief lesson - and maybe I'm too dumb to even understand the question, or parameters here, but: Which chords are in each key?

Yes, it does. So, I picked just the lowest note, because that's one of the first ones anyone would learn, it is in the root position for the E shape, and it is much faster for me, than to name every note on every string for that fret. I could have said "at the third fret" but this way you know it's G, which was relevant. At the third fret, the E string is a G note, and if you play an E shape there, that will be a G chord. Just like an E shape at fret 0, is an E chord. For E shapes, the root is on the E string.

Anyway, like I said. It is more difficult in writing, by a large margin. If I would have showed you that on a guitar, or with a diagram, it would have been really easy.

*Technically partial capos exist, which only affect some strings, but they are not as common, and would be specified as being partial if someone was talking about them.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Jun 3, 2016,
Of course it's up to you how to go about it. Just ask yourself what you would do if forums or the Internet didn't exist.
Quote by mdc
Of course it's up to you how to go about it. Just ask yourself what you would do if forums or the Internet didn't exist.

I would just continue being ignorant and just play the stuff I know and play what sounds natural. What would you do if modern medicine was never invented? How is asking bad? I've already learned a lot, but with no real formal training I'm still in the dark. Therefore I ask. And learn by repeating.
I didn't say asking was bad. I gave you two options for sources to learn from, but you seemed reluctant to take either. Did you have a nose at that website? I'll provide it again, http://www.musictheory.net/

I understand we all have are own ways of learning, and I love helping people, so ask away...
Last edited by mdc at Jun 3, 2016,
Quote by AnrBjotk
I usually get eaten alive for these questions, so I'll make it brief: What's Esus4 with capo on second fret? I've figured out the others, but not this one...
Quote by Tony Done
It's a D shape, so 200233 or x00233 are options.
Tony, I hate to break this to you but "Esus4" with a capo on the 2nd fret, is "F#sus4".

You would be entirely correct if the question were in the future tense, "what would be Esus4 with a capo on the 2nd fret". (That would remove the ambiguity).

Please forgive me for mentioning that, and please forgive me for not reading all 25 posts answering this question. (Lest it has been answered 26 times already).

The question was a bit confusing / amusing in its wording, but this is Esus4, (without) a capo:

e-1___0
B-2___0
G-3___2
D-4___2
A-5___2
E-6___0

(Yes, I know you know that, sorry)...

The worse that can happen here is the TS learns 2 chords instead of just 1....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 3, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
You're right, my wording wasn't the best. I meant 200233 from the capo which is 422455 from the nut. Now you've created this lunatic picture of him whipping the capo on and off between chord changes to get your E sus4!

Well, if Tommy Emmanuel can do it, so can our TS.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0cEWwWnGQ

(Starts at about 5:20)
Quote by Tony Done
Al very good, but I didn't see himtrying to get it back on again. He's good eh? One of the few guitarists I can think of who has really mastered fingerpicking and flatpicking Just ask him, he'll tell you! Hmm, we could have a thread on that.
Fixed!

Should I take that to mean him throwing the capo away wasn't enough, in and of itself? You just need a audience of students to give you the capo back.

(BTW, earlier (?) he puts one on while he's playing. Impressive also)

I think she could have soldiered on without him, but you make the call....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHVzFLsfZ8

What was truly comical was, someone handed him a Zager guitar after a concert, (a shill?), which he proceeded to play. Somehow (?) the photos showed up on Zager's website captioned, "world's best guitarist, plays Zager guitar". I think they were pulled a few days later
Yep, TE is as good as it gets. I saw him live once, he does things that have to be seen to be believed. His timing is absolute.
Quote by mdc
Yep, TE is as good as it gets. I saw him live once, he does things that have to be seen to be believed. His timing is absolute.
You have to admit, he's so good and so confident, it almost borders on annoying on several fronts. Frustration with one's own abilities being paramount...
Quote by Tony Done
And Ms Quevedo has got an awful lot of everything it takes.
Unfortunately, "how the hell did she get into those jeans", becomes an overriding preoccupation....
Quote by mdc
Do you think she knows Esus4?
I'd be willing to bet she knows it in several positions. On top of which, she's also likely learned to harmonize it as A5+9, while simultaneously wearing those jeans...

If you really want to get your money's worth from Esus4, the place is right here in "Sister Golden Hair".

F#m.............. ......A............................. E Esus4
when a woman sure can be a friend of mine

Hold E major (open) hammer on A-5 0 to 2, hold, then pull off G-3 2 to 1, strum E major again.
Quote by Tony Done
I am resisting the temptation to pass any further comment on this segment of the thread.
Surely Mephisto must be winning at this point, give in to him....
Page 1 of 3