Page 1 of 3
Hello UG Folks.

I believe there are guitars that might be hated by its design, weight, playability wtc.

I go first.

Gibson SG, can't tell the year. I knewn it did cost 1000, my friend had it.
The neck was fat like macdonald users, same for body. It felt like half of a classical guitar in a electric guitar. Pickups were muddier then ibanez even if they did cost more. Volume knobs and tone knobs too close to strings and pickups. String action alos, it was too high even when i tried to fix it, like there was a limit.
An SG that is half as wide as a classical? SGs are pretty thin (like around 1 5/16" thick). Maybe it was another model?

I'll contribute to the thread but by no means am I judging an entire company via a guitar I didn't like as much because I feel like the thread might turn into brand bashing pretty quick.

I'm sure most of them are really decent.

That being said my least favorite guitar to play was a Gibson Les Paul Supreme I owned. I wasn't a very experienced player but I wanted a nice guitar and needed a white LPC style guitar. Got it and I like it for a bit but eventually the guitar just started to not gel with me. The Supremes came with squared frets that I didn't like the feel of very much. The neck was okay but my preference was going towards thicker necks and it just didn't fill my hand as much as I liked (even though IIRC they shipped with 50s rounded profiles). Also the body was about half an inch thicker and arched on the back. I didn't think it would've been a huge deal for me but the extra thickness of the body made it really uncomfortable for me to play standing up with the guitar high and it had no back cavities so replacing switches, pickups and pots is basically an entire day's worth of a job.

Really pretty guitar but it was a hassle.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The mexican standard strat isn't a bad guitar, I just found it to be underwhelming in every aspect. It's Fender's most popular model so it's designed for mass appeal. It can't be too this or too that, and as a result it's just really plain and boring. I prefered the chinese Modern Player series over the mexican standards.
Schecters and Ltd's just feel like utter junk to me.
It has something to do with their finishes being super thick and not letting the guitar vibrate.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
If we're talking complete crap/entry level guitars, the absolute worst I ever played on was some Berhinger strat copy some years back. It had awful, muddy pickups that were also rather noisy, and very poor fret/neck work (Multiple dead spots, and different points on the upper register playing out the same note, etc.). Maybe an example that QC missed? Either way, it was truly awful!

If we're talking decent guitars that I simply don't vibe with (And trying not to make it sound like brand bashing!), then I just haven't been able to vibe with multiple mid - upper range Ibanez models (Mainly S & Prestige stuff) that I've played on. Blasphemy to some, as they're quite popular within my main genres, and a few of my heroes play on them, but the neck profiles just haven't felt right in my hands is all (Although I did like an Iceman I tried once). Nothing works for everyone though
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Really?? Why is this not locked?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok at #33990071
Really?? Why is this not locked?

It's a discussion and it's not malicious so I don't see a reason to lock it quite yet.

Once it goes full on brand shitting it will be locked. Give it 1 or 2 pages
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Before I started buying my own electrics, I got to borrow a few. That is how I discovered that- regardless of how I felt about their looks- I found the bodies of most pointy guitars to be uncomfortable.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
A mate of mine used to own a Bronze series BC Rich....
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33990088
A mate of mine used to own a Bronze series BC Rich....

You guys aren't friends anymore right?
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
BCRs were the bulk of the pointy guitars I tried. Ruined them for me.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

it wasn't a bad guitar but a buddy had some sort of Dean with a very pronounced V neck and high action and my hand just wouldn't fit on it. I sounded like garbage on it.

He liked it though, so different strokes..
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You guys aren't friends anymore right?

He 'borrowed' a Washburn of some sort(bolt-on neck, H/H, sort of PRS double cut shape, flat top with a flame maple veneer) off another friend of his(this is like 16 years ago, and he's still got it), and it's really nice.

I know he still has that, but I haven't seen the Mockingturd in years.
Quote by Diemon Dave
There a lot of guitars I wouldn't play because they don't appeal to me due cosmetics, pickup configuration, whatever. The most disappointing was my Martin J-40. I bought it new, and tonally it just kept on going downhill for about three years, after which time I sold it at a substantial loss.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
BCRs were the bulk of the pointy guitars I tried. Ruined them for me.

try some of the high end not so pointy ones you might be surprised.

my worst was my first guitar which was a no name 60s Japanese piece of shit. aaction so high that slide players would complain, neck was a baseball bat with frets pressed in and the pickups squeled if you looked at them funny. it's a wonder that I learned to play anything on it. oh and at the time I was playing lefty so this had to be turned upside down.
For me it's Ibanez Hollow body guitars, tried a few and none of them felt good. Necks were always very uncomfortable to play.
"I don't think the desire to cram a gerbil up your ass is inherently homosexual." - FrauVfromPoB
I had to sell my gorgeous Ric 330 because the neck was unplayable in my hands. I loved to look at it, but hated playing it. Some folks get along really well with the Ric necks, and they're really quality guitars, my fingers are just too long to chord without cramping.
OffsetOffset
Quote by monwobobbo
try some of the high end not so pointy ones you might be surprised.

Oh, I wasn't denigrating the QUALITY of the BCRs. Even though I was playing mostly on lower end ones, I didn't find too many issues with their build.

But pointy bodied guitars were what all the cool rock & rollers were playing back then...and I found I just HATED the way they felt against my torso. Or leg, if I were playing seated,

To date, the only pointy guitars I own are not all that pointy- a Dean Cadillac and a Fret-King Esprit.

Quote by rockstar256
Hello UG Folks.

I believe there are guitars that might be hated by its design, weight, playability wtc.

I go first.

Gibson SG, can't tell the year. I knewn it did cost 1000, my friend had it.
The neck was fat like macdonald users, same for body.

Some people like fat necks, I do. I personally can;t stand those Wizard Necks Ibanez makes, doesn't make them (Wizards) wrong though.

Quote by rockstar256
It felt like half of a classical guitar in a electric guitar. Pickups were muddier then ibanez even if they did cost more.

I've never heard Gibson PUs called muddy, maybe it needed new strings?

Quote by rockstar256
Volume knobs and tone knobs too close to strings and pickups.

Ok this one I've got a problem with, were you actually looking at a real Gibson SG because the tone and Volume knobs are located in the lower bout & well AWAY from the PUS and Strings. Any farther away and they be located on the back of the guitar!

Quote by rockstar256
String action alos, it was too high even when i tried to fix it, like there was a limit.

I believe the limit is reached when the strings are laying right on the frets. Not knowing your setup expertise I can't comment on this one.

So you've managed to start a thread to complain about guitars and picked a very iconic one (right up there with an LP or 335 from Gibson) that's played by many, many famous professional players, and tried to make it sound like it's a horrible design?
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 30, 2016,
Quote by KenG
Some people like fat necks, I do. I personally can;t stand those Wizard Necks Ibanez makes, doesn't make them (Wizards) wrong though.

Ok this one I've got a problem with, were you actually looking at a real Gibson SG because the tone and Volume knobs are located in the lower bout & well AWAY from the PUS and Strings. Any farther away and they be located on the back of the guitar!

I believe the limit is reached when the strings are laying right on the frets. Not knowing your setup expertise I can't comment on this one.

So you've managed to start a thread to complain about guitars and picked a very iconic one (right up there with an LP or 335 from Gibson) that's played by many, many famous professional players, and tried to make it sound like it's a horrible design?

TBH, with the bigger neck, maybe it was a Special or something. I know the neck on mine feels way bigger than any of my other guitars.
Quote by Diemon Dave
My first guitar; a Stagg Flying V copy. Microphonic pickups, terrible neck dive, terrible alignment of the fretboard to the neck, terrible fretwork, terrible hardware, terrible, terrible terrible. Even worse than my ex friend's Dimeblade ML. And there's a reason we aren't friends anymore lol.

But it wouldn't be fair to call that the most disappointing guitar ever though. since it was so cheap and at £100, you get what you pay for.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Oh, I wasn't denigrating the QUALITY of the BCRs. Even though I was playing mostly on lower end ones, I didn't find too many issues with their build.

But pointy bodied guitars were what all the cool rock & rollers were playing back then...and I found I just HATED the way they felt against my torso. Or leg, if I were playing seated,

To date, the only pointy guitars I own are not all that pointy- a Dean Cadillac and a Fret-King Esprit.

It depends on the shape and position. The pointier Vs are lovely if you put the treble point between your legs and hold it at an angle like a classical. The lack of horns near the neck is the turn off for most since it slides right off your leg if you hold it the way you would a strat. Warrior shapes generally work both ways since it has the V wings and horns. It depends on the individual pointy guitar though, but those I generally find comfortable enough.

I've never felt comfortable with more traditional Vs or Dean MLs though. Warlocks would be cool if the cutaway at the end was deeper and the wings were narrower. I don't image a Razorback or anything with like... points on points... would be comfortable easier but I haven't played any of those.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The pointier Vs are lovely if you put the treble point between your legs and hold it at an angle like a classical.

Not for me.

Playing a V like that shifts the entire centerline of the guitar down a couple of inches from a guitar that would normally rest on your leg. That means the controls are lower and harder to reach, and I don't like the position that puts my strumming hand in, either.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at May 30, 2016,
BC Rich Gunslinger. Played Ok, but there was something about the tone i just couldn't get used to. Even put an EMG 81 in but there was still something about the tone. Or any BC Rich with the Speedloader trem, a plastic trem would perform better, absolute cack.
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
Quote by dannyalcatraz

guess I should have thrown in try some of the not so pointy models. my eagle isn't pointy at all (droopy perhaps) and Mockingbirds aren't very pointy and sit on the body pretty well standing or sitting. even the Bich I had was more comfortable than it looked to play. if you get them with the old style headstock that cuts down on the pointy factor a fair bit. or you could just go nuts and get a Draco which has enough points to kill 3 people in one swing
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Not for me.

Playing a V like that shifts the entire centerline of the guitar down a couple of inches from a guitar that would normally rest on your leg. That means the controls are lower and harder to reach, and I don't like the position that puts my strumming hand in, either.

I tried my pointy guitar in both positions to compare. I found that the pickup switch was at the same height and volume and tone knobs were actually a bit higher in classical position. As far as strumming hand, I didn't really see a difference since the whole hand is in the same place relative to the body of the guitar albeit at a slightly different angle.

YMMV I guess.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at May 30, 2016,
Quote by monwobobbo
guess I should have thrown in try some of the not so pointy models. my eagle isn't pointy at all (droopy perhaps) and Mockingbirds aren't very pointy and sit on the body pretty well standing or sitting. even the Bich I had was more comfortable than it looked to play. if you get them with the old style headstock that cuts down on the pointy factor a fair bit. or you could just go nuts and get a Draco which has enough points to kill 3 people in one swing

Like I said, I'm not bagging on BCR. I actually like the Mockingbird.

It's just my body and pointy guitars are a bad match.

Quote by theogonia777
I tried my pointy guitar in both positions to compare. I found that the pickup switch was at the same height and volume and tone knobs were actually a bit higher in classical position. As far as strumming hand, I didn't really see a difference since the whole hand is in the same place relative to the body of the guitar albeit at a slightly different angle.

YMMV I guess.

As your pictures clearly show, the controls have shifted several inches between the first and second image. The last control is well down between your legs; your wrist angle has changed. Moreover, the upper horn is now higher up in your chest.

You may find this all comfy, I don't.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Like I said, I'm not bagging on BCR. I actually like the Mockingbird.

It's just my body and pointy guitars are a bad match.

that's cool. just plugging BC Rich as many judge them on the crappiest guitars they made (and those were garbage). not into the pointy guitars either but love the Eagle, Mockingbird and Bich and have since the late 70s. despite the hatred for the brand I keep coming back to them
Maybe it's just a bad angle, but the pickup switch is about an inch below the top of my thigh in either position. My wrist is also at a different angle because it's just at a different angle since I had by hand closer to the neck pickup in one picture which is more just an inconsistency on my part rather than a direct consequence of the position. As for the horn, it is higher but it's not even touching me. Maybe if I were a couple of cup sizes bigger that would be a problem.

Like I said though, YMMV.
Mine was some off-brand early 90's strat copy with a bowed neck/buzzing frets, a really un-fender like dull/flat tone, a rattle can quality paint job and the flimsiest crap tuners I've seen to this day. I was literally afraid I was going to strip out the high E just bringing it into standard tune (which it had a really bad problem of coming out of). I ended up swapping it in at a pawn shop for an Epiphone LP Special that was a quantum leap forward in quality/playability/sound.
tried a american strat for the first time ever, about two weeks ago, safe to say wasnt the best guitar i have played, action was way to high, volume pot was crackly almost no variation in tone, neck felt like crap, to be honest, my MIC Jag feels amazing compared to that strat. Ive never been one for strats and this just affirmed it. only thing i can really commend the Strat on was the pick ups and they were amazing, completly noiseless even on a high gain marshal JVM with a Boss DS-1 and Proco Rat
I depise teles. No particular idea why, I just think they're strictly worse than strats for the sound I like and they aren't that great to play either. They just don't fit in at all to anything I want to play.
As far as just plain worst guitar I've ever played it has to have been my friend's Squier VM Jazzmaster. With 12s on it the strings would slip off the saddles. if you breathed on them. We wound up shimming the neck to an LP level tilt and raising the bridge enough to make it playable but then the strings were out of range on the pickups.

But the worst quality I've seen for the money it's my other friend's Faded SG. Never stayed in tune. New nut, saddles, tuners, 2 different techs, 9s, 10s, 12s, didn't matter, never stayed in tune. When I found out how much he paid for it new I couldn't believe it. Even when we finally got it decent it was just nothing special. Literally no weight to it and the pickups were garbage.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Dean michael schenker V.

my buddy's uncle gave this to him. it was like a $400 guitar at the time i think. it was just flat out junk. the fretwork was shit. it didn't stay in tune well, didn't really sound good either. three strikes in my book.

i spent hours of work on it, and it was still just junk. i swapped the tuners (at the time not realizing it was likely the nut), i went at the fret ends a little bit, which helped, but it had a high fret or two. i replaced the pickups, that helped the guitar a lot, but it still had this dull tone to it, it didn't ring out well, not even acoustically.

i don't remember what even happened to it. don't care to either. lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
This one guitar i had around maybe 16-17 years ago at a guess.It was called Westfield i think iirc.Had some kind of cheap floyd type bridge and played and sounded awful.I was only quite young and did'nt really know what to look for in a guitar but i think in my heart of hearts i knew it was a dog.I just bought it cos it was cheap.
Quote by KenG

iconic doesn't mean it's well designed. it just means it was first and most older guitar players are too pig-headed to know when something is wrong even when it bites them in the ass.

remember that les paul himself hated the sg.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
iconic doesn't mean it's well designed. it just means it was first and most older guitar players are too pig-headed to know when something is wrong even when it bites them in the ass.

remember that les paul himself hated the sg.

Frank Zappa made good use of his SG. So did Clapton, Hendrix is known to have played SGs, never mind all the people with sig models...
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 3