My amp has a gain and clean channel.

Without pedals the switch between the gain and clean is obvious but not a dramatic difference like switching between two amps of different brands/styles.

However when I add pedals to the clean, the difference is quite dramatic, as if I have switched amps.

Apart from adjusting volume is anything else that can be done to take these two tones are try to bring them into some sort of harmony with each other.

Do I need to EQ both or something?
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
So you want the main tone of your amp to be identifiable despite using a unique, separate distortion over it?
What distortion pedal are you using on the clean channel?
Which amp from your signature are you using when doing this?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
That would be a start.

Metal Muff and TS9 on the clean.

Marshall 15WDSL.

Has a Boss Super Overdrive with gain set to 0 on the ultra chan.
Dean MAB1. Epiphone Annihilation V. EVH 5150III. Orange PPC112. Earthquaker devices - The Warden, Arrows, Acapulco Gold, Levitation, Night Wire. TS9, DD3, GE7, NS2, LS2, Polytune mini, Small Stone. SM57. Focusrite. LINUX!
Yep, Metal Muff on a clean will for sure not sound like a Marshall dirt channel.

What tones are you going for with each? One supposed to be heavier than the other? If so: set one of those drives at a higher boost than the other and keep the amp distortion relatively low?

If not, maybe a Marshall in a box pedal, like Wampler would have?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at May 31, 2016,
Sounds like you need to volume match your pedals as well, so when they kick in the volume is not so drastic as when they are not engaged. That's all I can think.

Maybe another thing to do would be to get something like Boss LS-2 and put each chain of pedals you want to run on each amp separately, through an A/B switch.

Another thing to do is just stay on the clean channel and get a eq pedal or something for your boosts and just operate everything with distortion pedals instead, using the amp as a clean palette.
I own the Marshall because I want the Marshall gain tone basically. The clean I can do what I want with. I set up the clean for a different metal tone that sounds like the Metal Muff but found myself using it so much that I wasn't making much use of the Marshall gain, so I went back to it and for 80s metal its 'better'.

However even those 80s metal tones break out some really nice solos and I think some of those sounds aren't part of the Marshall gain channel but basically switching to another amp or the clean channel plus effects.

So I set up this loop with a delay but kept the Metal Muff and Overdrive for a metal type solo sound. However the variation between both is so vast as to really make a distinct jump as opposed to the more smooth transitions you hear in many metal songs between two or more guitarists, right? I don't mean transition as in the jump cut between the two (even though that does also happen and would like to solve it with one fading out as the other fades in), but the very sound itself.

So one suggestion here I guess is to up the overdrive on the TS9 on the clean channel. The plexi drive sounds like something that would make that clean channel sound like the Marshall gain one, but is that what I am trying to achieve, or just a smoother sound for the transition?

Maybe it is basically a volume mismatch problem. I own the LS-2 and have a Morley ABY.

I will look more into my OD variables and Volume then. Thanks.
Last edited by Deermonic at May 31, 2016,
Quote by Deermonic
My amp has a gain and clean channel.

Without pedals the switch between the gain and clean is obvious but not a dramatic difference like switching between two amps of different brands/styles.

However when I add pedals to the clean, the difference is quite dramatic, as if I have switched amps.

Apart from adjusting volume is anything else that can be done to take these two tones are try to bring them into some sort of harmony with each other.

Do I need to EQ both or something?

Watch: "That pedal Show - setting up your amp to use with drive pedals" - on you tube.

It is a wonderful demonstration of the issue - some drive pedals simply don't sound good with certain amps, or certain amp settings - you need to find a drive pedal that complements your amp.
Good show.

Approx. 10 minutes in though have a look at the BOSS SD1 on the Marshall.
Now look at this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwI1ggYPGM

That is basically the same ultra gain loop I have but with a BOSS NS1.

However that guy has Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge. I don't.

They use a Muff on the Marshall in your vid.

Nice Hamstead amp. Killer stuff.