Hey Guys,

I would like your thoughts on something.

I recently moved from my parents house in my own appartment and I left my electric guitar with my parents because I'm still there most weekends and I want to have something to play there.

However I also want to have something to play here, but I don't want to keep taking my stuff back and forth.I mostly play blues. Sometimes a little (pop)punk and rock

I was looking at some guitars and figured I'd buy a simple Arctic White Squier Bullet Stratocaster (SSS, rosewood fretboard and basswood body) for €111,- and upgrading the pickups with the Fender Tex-Mex Stratocaster Pickups for €100 (It's a 3-pack and they say in the specs that those pickups are standard on Jimmy Vaughans signature strat)

I have never changed pickups before but I am willing to learn how it works.

I've looked at Squier Affinity squiers as well, which would cost me about the same as what is stated above: but, and I know this sounds lame, none of their color scheme's I really like.

Do you guys think going for the Bullet strat + other pickups is worth it or would you have any other advice? I dont want to spend more than 200 really because it's just to play at home or at some low key jamsession
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at May 30, 2016,
I remember you. Long time no see

Personally, if you have guitars at home, I wouldn't bother buying something with a plan to mod the crap out of it. If you just need something to play, try out a few squiers and see if they are enough for you. Personally, I have an affinity Telecaster that I dink around with and it does what it is supposed to do. I never needed better pickups in it cause I mostly just wanted a T shape guitar and T style sounds so even the Affinity is close enough.

Do you have a budget, location, if you can buy used etc... ? I'm not in Europe so I can't help much but I bet a lot of other users might have some suggestions within the pricerange that might be decent. I know on the other side of the pond, Rondo, Agile and GFS all get pretty decent reviews for what you pay. Maybe you guys have something similar there you can get for cheap like a Vintage Icon etc...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Pass on the Bullet. Save you're money and get a VM or CV model or if available look at the 51.You are better off spending the money on a higher level guitar then trying to dress up a pig.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I remember you. Long time no see

Personally, if you have guitars at home, I wouldn't bother buying something with a plan to mod the crap out of it. If you just need something to play, try out a few squiers and see if they are enough for you. Personally, I have an affinity Telecaster that I dink around with and it does what it is supposed to do. I never needed better pickups in it cause I mostly just wanted a T shape guitar and T style sounds so even the Affinity is close enough.

Do you have a budget, location, if you can buy used etc... ? I'm not in Europe so I can't help much but I bet a lot of other users might have some suggestions within the pricerange that might be decent. I know on the other side of the pond, Rondo, Agile and GFS all get pretty decent reviews for what you pay. Maybe you guys have something similar there you can get for cheap like a Vintage Icon etc...

Hey man, It's been a while since I've been here indeed!
Maybe I'll have a look in some guitar shops this weekend and ask around there for some more advice! thanks!
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf at #33990083
Hey man, It's been a while since I've been here indeed!
Maybe I'll have a look in some guitar shops this weekend and ask around there for some more advice! thanks!

Yeah that's really the best thing to do. You can get a feel of what is offered locally and you can try out a ton of stuff and get a feel for what you can deal with in your budget. It's tough hunting for new guitars in any budget but if you can try them out first then at least you know you'll like it etc...
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Bhaok
Pass on the Bullet. Save you're money and get a VM or CV model or if available look at the 51.You are better off spending the money on a higher level guitar then trying to dress up a pig.

This is really the best advice you're gonna get bud. With a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squire, you wont even really need to switch out pickups, plus they feel and look awesome. I honestly can't tell the difference between those two series and your $600-$1000 fenders as far as your neck and sound is concerned. There is only a SLIGHT difference in tone and that's only if you're comparing them back to back.

You could easily gig with one if you had a nice amp.
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Last edited by dxpaintball8000 at May 30, 2016,
i would definitely pass on the bullet.

affinity at minimum, but play it first, some are junk, some are OK.

as far as pickups, get the guitar first and see what you think needs improving. i don't think for practice/messing around you would need to change the pickups.

goo luck!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Remember to check the local second hand market, there might just be a deal waiting for you out there.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I think the Harley Benton guitars that Thomann sell are excellent for the price.I have an Explorer and a White Falcon copy and they both look and sound really good.The Explorer was about 100 Euros.They have some nice looking Strat types,I would at least check out the website.Very fast delivery,even from Germany to the UK it's only a couple of days.
Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models are solid guitars that will sound pretty tasty stock. Bullets aren't, even with a set of pickups that would bring them up to about the same price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified models are solid guitars that will sound pretty tasty stock. Bullets aren't, even with a set of pickups that would bring them up to about the same price.

but they are just 200 euro's short for a standard fender strat so I'd probably wait until I could buy that then
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
but they are just 200 euro's short for a standard fender strat so I'd probably wait until I could buy that then

If you can, try a CV Squier alongside a Mexi Standard Fender and see if you don't reconsider. Personally, I reckon I'd take a CV Squier over the lower end of the Mexican Fenders, and I say that as at least a bit of a brand snob.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
If you can, try a CV Squier alongside a Mexi Standard Fender and see if you don't reconsider. Personally, I reckon I'd take a CV Squier over the lower end of the Mexican Fenders, and I say that as at least a bit of a brand snob.

I'd agree with this.I've heard from a couple of people that CV Squier pickups sound better than Mexi Fenders and the quality is very good.I have a Mexi Tele and i'm not impressed with the pickups in it,Just loud and dark sounding imo.

Also if you're going the Thomann route check out Vintage guitars before going anywhere near a Harley Benton.I had a Vintage LP which was really good for the money and i've seen a guy on Youtube reviewing a Vintage Strat and he had good things to say about it.
Quote by EyeballPaul
I'd agree with this.I've heard from a couple of people that CV Squier pickups sound better than Mexi Fenders and the quality is very good.I have a Mexi Tele and i'm not impressed with the pickups in it,Just loud and dark sounding imo.

I believe the Mexican Standard pickups have ceramic magnets, while the Classic Vibe models have Alnico III and V for the '50s and '60s models, respectively. I'm going to stay in my lane and not comment on what that means in terms of sound, because I would not know, but until you get into high gain territory, Alnico seems to be preferred.
Get an ex hawk with some minor upgrades you'll have a much better guitar
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Bhaok
Am I the only person that likes dressing up pigs? Some of my favourite guitars are pigs with great accessories bolted on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Am I the only person that likes dressing up pigs? Some of my favourite guitars are pigs with great accessories bolted on.

Great in theory, not necessarily cost effective if you're on a budget and there's a lot to be done to a Bullet before it's stable in tuning, sounding decent and comfortable to play, at least in my experience
Replace tuners and bridge. Tuning stability sorted. Shit sound? New pickups.
Really, as long as the neck is nice, everything else is easily fixed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Replace tuners and bridge. Tuning stability sorted. Shit sound? New pickups.
Really, as long as the neck is nice, everything else is easily fixed.

Not for £200 though and if you're not handy with soldering and stuff then that's extra cost to get it all fitted.
You do it bit by bit as you can afford it - and of course, you do it yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You do it bit by bit as you can afford it - and of course, you do it yourself.

Depending on your skills and experience, you can also destroy it yourself, and wind up having to start over and hope you learned enough from your mistakes.

That's not 'you' personally, btw. Not everyone's as much of a handless bastard as me.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by EyeballPaul
Not for £200 though and if you're not handy with soldering and stuff then that's extra cost to get it all fitted.

I could probably get a set of pickups and hardware for under that.

There is merit to doing the work yourself for sure. You can save a ton of cash and if you're patient you can get awesome deals. If you're budget conscious you don't have to buy everything right away or buy the nicest hardware.

But again I only recommend doing that if you're actually comfy working with tools and guitars. If you can't use a a drill, a file or know how to solder it's not worth the extra hassle. Mind you, you gotta learn somewhere so cheapo guitars are perfect for it.

But yeah I personally love working on guitars. I went from this:

To this:

And it costed me about 1200 bucks total. Not bad for a real Gibson
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
exactly. How are you supposed to learn if you don't try? And doesn't it make sense to start with a pig that you don't mind fucking up on?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dxpaintball8000
This is really the best advice you're gonna get bud. With a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squire, you wont even really need to switch out pickups, plus they feel and look awesome. I honestly can't tell the difference between those two series and your $600-$1000 fenders as far as your neck and sound is concerned. There is only a SLIGHT difference in tone and that's only if you're comparing them back to back.

You could easily gig with one if you had a nice amp.

+1 Squire makes some very nice guitars for the money in the higher end models but don't waste your time and money on a low end one like the bullet or affinity. Get a standard or better - the best one you can afford. The pick-ups will be much better and so will everything else - most importantly the neck and fret board. You'll probably find that you don't need to upgrade anything. No sense polishing a turd.
Last edited by hotrodney71 at Jun 2, 2016,
The Indonesian G&L's are worth looking at too. Those things rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
exactly. How are you supposed to learn if you don't try? And doesn't it make sense to start with a pig that you don't mind fucking up on?

True, but OP does suggest it'll be the only guitar available to him most of the time.
Quote by Diemon Dave
It was a general comment about being scared to tackle upgrades. It wasn't actually aimed at the OP specifically.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It was a general comment about being scared to tackle upgrades. It wasn't actually aimed at the OP specifically.

In that case, I agree. I don't think it's a sensible option in this particular instance, but if you have the time and money to invest it's worth doing.
i would pass on the bullet.

i understand the 'going cheap' thing, but it isn't worth putting money into a bullet.

the affinity is the lowest i would even consider messing with bullets are just flat out junk.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup at #33994331
i would pass on the bullet.

i understand the 'going cheap' thing, but it isn't worth putting money into a bullet.

the affinity is the lowest i would even consider messing with bullets are just flat out junk.

I fixed up an Affinity Telecaster and it's surprisingly decent.

If the neck was a tad thicker I would actually love the thing a lot
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I fixed up an Affinity Telecaster and it's surprisingly decent.

If the neck was a tad thicker I would actually love the thing a lot

I did some work on an Affinity strat ten years ago, and it was fun to do. I wouldn't dump $150 worth of parts in one. I do like the one I did though.

Bullets are just junk though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I did some work on an Affinity strat ten years ago, and it was fun to do. I wouldn't dump $150 worth of parts in one. I do like the one I did though.

Bullets are just junk though.

For sure. I actually didnt swap any parts with it cause I thought it was fine as is. Just needed a good set up and some sharp fret ends done. Heck, the pickups don't even sound bad.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
For sure. I actually didnt swap any parts with it cause I thought it was fine as is. Just needed a good set up and some sharp fret ends done. Heck, the pickups don't even sound bad.

i just changed the pickguard, refin'd the neck, and cleaned up the fretwork.

when i was in my teens, i thought that black strats with white pickguards and rosewood fretboards were boring so, i painted the neck and headstock black, and put a carbon fiber pickguard on it .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i did that with an sx for my son, dragonfire prewired pickguard, saddles, tuners. turned out decent for how cheap the guitar was, spent around $200 total probably.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by trashedlostfdup at #33995512
i just changed the pickguard, refin'd the neck, and cleaned up the fretwork.

when i was in my teens, i thought that black strats with white pickguards and rosewood fretboards were boring so, i painted the neck and headstock black, and put a carbon fiber pickguard on it .

Hey to be fair, I still think that

I think the funniest thing I did was my partscaster of doom. I had the body from an MIJ SV Squier and the neck from an MIJ '57 RI Strat and instead of running it with a classic look, I though a black anodized diamond-plate pickguard with a single HB and the pickup wired straight to the jack. It was actually a really killer guitar. I sold it to a buddy because he needed a good guitar and he still plays it to this day. He busks a lot too so the poly on it has actually faded like you'd expect from an older one. The color where the pickguard would be was the color of the thing when I SOLD IT TO HIM

Quote by romeozdistress at #33995525
i did that with an sx for my son, dragonfire prewired pickguard, saddles, tuners. turned out decent for how cheap the guitar was, spent around $200 total probably.

SX guitars are actually pretty decent. I had an SX Leo that I actually really like the neck of. I modified a Kramer body I had lying around just because I liked it so much and wanted something to mate it with (sold the body because I picked up another Strat).
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Jun 4, 2016,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I could probably get a set of pickups and hardware for under that.

There is merit to doing the work yourself for sure. You can save a ton of cash and if you're patient you can get awesome deals. If you're budget conscious you don't have to buy everything right away or buy the nicest hardware.

But again I only recommend doing that if you're actually comfy working with tools and guitars. If you can't use a a drill, a file or know how to solder it's not worth the extra hassle. Mind you, you gotta learn somewhere so cheapo guitars are perfect for it.

But yeah I personally love working on guitars. I went from this:

To this:

And it costed me about 1200 bucks total. Not bad for a real Gibson
Oh yeah i saw that in your NGD thread.It's a beauty.You've done a cracking job on that thing.

I was really answering the op though as i'd say imo it's not the best option on his budget.
Chalk me up as yet another one throwing in a recommendation for the VM/CV series stuff if you're going with a Squier. While I haven't actually played a VM/CV series guitar, I do own a 5-string VM jazz bass, and it feels much more like a real-deal Fender than any other Squier I've played. The stock pickups are also good enough that I have zero plans of swapping them out. For what I paid for it, it's probably the best bang for the buck instrument that I own.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff