So I want to make a punk rock or grunge type album, only problem is, I don't know how to sing and I can't sing. I don't know what I should do...
any tips or advice or anything?
I know there's a song by Dave Grohl called "Just another story about skeeter thompson" where he just says a story over the other instruments.
Thanks,
Anthony
If it's punk you don't need to know how to sing.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Cardbored
If it's punk you don't need to know how to sing.

Yeah but I honestly sound so bad
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Probably the same way you whammy without using a whammy.

What does that mean?....
Quote by thesanchez101
Yeah but I honestly sound so bad

So do all the real punk and grunge musicians.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
So do all the real punk and grunge musicians.

What about when it comes to lyrics? whenever I write lyrics I'm always embaressed about them and like they're cringeworthy and kinda cliche
Quote by thesanchez101
What about when it comes to lyrics? whenever I write lyrics I'm always embaressed about them and like they're cringeworthy and kinda cliche

Do you even listen to punk or grunge? I mean, "Load up on guns and bring your friends."
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by chrismendiola at #33990584
Visit Eastwinn's last.fm page, listen to all of the bands, take notes.

lol
I'm gonna be honest and say i'm a noob and still don't know the defintion for punk rock or grunge, all I know is I love bands like Minor Threat, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Bad Brains, Foo Fighters, Mudhoney etc.
I honestly think anyone can learn how to be at least a decent singer as long as they're not tone deaf and put in the practice. Try putting a finger in one ear - it'll help you to hear your own voice better. Pay attention to pitch in particular. Sing along to a song and try to just hit one little phrase. Listen to one little section, pause it, stick a finger in one ear and try to sing it a couple of times, listen to it again, repeat, try singing with the song, etc.

It might help to grab the guitar and try to match your voice to different pitches on the guitar. Play a note and try to sing the pitch, play a couple of notes and try to sing them, play a short little phrase and sing that. A lot of times when I'm listening to music by myself in the car I'll try to sing the guitar riffs. Find your range and stick to that, especially at first. Don't strain for those high notes if you're not even in control of the range your voice is comfortable with. The hardest and most important part is to sing loud and confidently. Try practicing doing that when you're alone at first if you're embarrassed.

Personally that's the hardest part for me since I'm generally a shy, quiet person. That takes practice itself. For a long time I would only sing by myself or with the music up loud enough that no one could hear me. Then I started doing some singing while playing guitar with my friends. Then I started occasionally singing along when friends or family asked me to play a song. Then one day me and a couple of friends were shooting pool at a bar and one of my favorite songs came on and I was just slightly drunk enough that I started singing in a bar full of people and actually sounded decent because I just didn't give a fuck. I still have trouble with the embarrassment, but I'm making progress.

I've been doing that kind of thing for a good while now and I'm finally getting to a point where I'm not absolutely shit and I'm getting to where I can sing in front of people while I'm playing the guitar without being embarrassed and just mumbling out the words. I'm still not a good singer, but at least now I can sing mostly in key and have gotten over the embarrassment enough that my voice sounds confident. The biggest confidence boost came after I realized that I didn't have to sing the same exact notes as whatever the original singer was doing. It's ok to sing a harmony that fits you range better. Once I figured that out I started singing a lot of things an octave lower if the song was too high for me which made it easier to put more power into my voice. Then once I started getting some confidence doing that I tried going for the higher pitches and singing it like they sing it. I'm still not great at that and when I'm hitting those higher pitches it sounds like shit, but I'm getting better.

Writing lyrics? Fuck if I know I've only ever written a complete set of lyrics to one song that I wasn't completely embarrassed with, but they were so vague and abstract that I don't even know what they were about and they were for a growled song where you can't hardly understand what's being said anyway. The only other times I've come up with anything I liked it was only one or two lines and I couldn't figure out what to do with them. I'm much better at critiquing someone else's lyrics and helping them rephrase sections that they're having trouble with. I can't come up with anything myself.
Play the second fret of your D string. Try to match the pitch. If you're an average guy, it should be about in the middle of your range.

If you've never matched a pitch before, this might be difficult. Once you can match a pitch, start singing along as you play the major and minor scales. Look up relative pitch and ear training. Most likely, you have a very raw ear and have no connection between your voice and said ear.
Quote by thesanchez101
What does that mean?....

Well, Angus Young turned the tuning pegs to get that whammy thingamijig sound because he didn't have a whammy. So I suppose all you need to do is reach inside your mouth and manipulate your vocal cords that way \: D/

Ahem. You might want to follow the advice others gave.
And have confidence. Lots of popular singers didn't learn to sing. Show me a punk singer who did learn to sing :P

As for lyrics, show them to your band first and see their reaction. Mostly, it'll turn out other people love what you wrote even when you thought it was corny. It always happens with that jerk inner critic.
Quote by thesanchez101
So I want to make a punk rock or grunge type album, only problem is, I don't know how to sing and I can't sing. I don't know what I should do...
any tips or advice or anything?
I know there's a song by Dave Grohl called "Just another story about skeeter thompson" where he just says a story over the other instruments.
Thanks,
Anthony

Lemmy couldn't sing for shit, and his career lasted over 40 years.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Lemmy couldn't sing for shit, and his career lasted over 40 years.

Bob Dylan.

Just sayin'.
Quote by Weaponized
practice makes perfect

To quote myself:
Quote by ultimate-slash

If practice makes perfect but nobody's perfect, I'd argue that no one is practicing.
One simple thing that you WILL need

Learn to sing to actual pitch, and get good at it
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
You get a teacher. Vocal teachers are without a doubt the most useful tutors within music, general instruments you can totally fuddle your way through and stand a chance of reaching peak mastery all by yourself. Vocal wise, you'll be be damn lucky to reach mastery without any tutorship whatsoever. Your progress will also likely be very slow without a vocal tutor.

Anyone can learn to sing, there's no one that truly can't sing to an acceptable level (acceptable meaning holding pitch for a relative amount of time.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Lol if there was ever two genres that required absolutely no singing skills you named them both.
Quote by soundgarden1986
so do other punk singers

Can confirm.

Recently did a festival with a punk band who were one of the first bands on
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
oh look, shit talking punk in here.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Sing from your heart

If you can dream it, you can do it
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ElMaco
Sing from your heart

If you can dream it, you can do it

No, from the bowels of your lungs. The BOWELS.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, from the bowels of your lungs. The BOWELS.

I heard your meant to sing from the stomach, and like if you burp its a good sign, thats why Dave Grohl burps alot on stage lol
Step 1: draw a large breath

Step 2: Bring forth the mighty tempest of a vocal symphony from your throat, your vocal chords straining to withstand the celestial exuberance of your song
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by thesanchez101
I heard your meant to sing from the stomach

Yes, like... David Coverdale (。◕‿◕。